PDA

View Full Version : Hello, from a newbie.

Akeakamai
03-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Hello, everyone.

I just want to introduce myself because I am new here. I've been reading a few threads and I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about:)

A bit about me, and why I'm here:
Other than working off karma, I've been a huge Babylon 5 fan, and I've always been mesmerized by the special effects they used on the TV show. I found out that they used LightWave 3D to produce those effects, and I thought, "That would be really cool to create those special effects, etc."

So, I'd like to get in on the fun, except.... I don't have artistic skills. I'm just not an artist. So I wonder, how much of an artist do you have to be to be able to create what you guys/gals create?

Sorry for the babble... I love to type :)

SplineGod
03-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Depends on the definition of artist. The space ships etc on B5 were designed by someone and modeled, textured, lit, rendered and animated by others. Your job typically would be able to take those designs and recreate them in 3d. Thats not always as hard as you think and its also one of the differences between a commercial artist vs a fine artist. :)

hrgiger
03-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Welcome Akeakamai to the Lightwave forums.

As far as creating the next Babylon 5 series...Chances are, you're not going to open up Lightwave and just start creating magnificent works. Artistic ability certainly helps and you're going to need to put in some serious time learning both the software and seeking out your artistic side. Personally, I believe most people could do it if they're willing to commit the time and resources. If you're serious about learning Lightwave, I would recommend looking into some Lightwave training or at the very least a few good books on Lightwave. I can always recommend the Inside Lightwave series by Dan Ablan.
I also encourage you to post work in the Work in Progress forums, that's what they're there for. People are usually willing to give you some constructive criticism. Keep your skin thick, some people like to be unnecessarily harsh but it's all part of the learning process.
Ask questions often but try to find the answer first in the Lightwave documentation. It's ok to ask how do I create this tricky shape, but if you ask questions like how do I create a box, you're going to be flamed for not reading the manual (also known as the RTFM response for read the f'ing manual).
Good luck in your digital travels.

SplineGod
03-09-2008, 07:06 PM
This might be useful:
http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/betterspace-tut-00.htm#alex01
This ones also pretty useful:
http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/modeling_viper.php

Akeakamai
03-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Thank you all for the valuable information and advice you have given me.

manholoz
03-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Artist is he who takes the creation of his craft, whatever it may be, beyond the what is needed to do the job it was made to do, and transforms that which he creates, bigger than itself.
And then, Lightwave makes it so much easier.

Kryos
03-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Just remember, learn first before you get frustrated. It takes time and patience. But don't be afraid to experiment and try out different things and clicking different buttons to see what all they do in the process. Some of the best works in history were helped along by mistakes to begin with. But yeah, the biggest killer for most people getting started is the patience thing.

For some reason people seem to think if they buy it, they can use it. That is just simply not true. Good luck on your endeavors.

DiedonD
03-10-2008, 04:01 AM
Hello Akikemai, welcome aboard

I should suggest you to start getting a few copies of used or brand new tutorials DVD's. The BEST way for me to start is by DVD tutorials Akikemai (Nice name BTW). The reason is simple. You do what someone more experienced does right there in sight, with your copy of LW, and hell do it as much as you like it too (You can rewind and relook at it all you want)

Now youll be feeling anxious during learning. And its alright, all of us did. Just see if you can do what them in the DVD are doing, then elaborate from there.

And later on, you can take on the heavyweights like Proton. He has free video tutorials even. But save that for later. You need to get to know the good old LW first. And youll learn it in no time. Youll see :)