PDA

View Full Version : DivX in LW 64bit... is it possible?

Cougar12dk
03-08-2008, 05:32 AM
For reasons unknown to me I can't encode my animations in DivX format directly from LW 64bit. This is a problem I have in all versions of LW9.

I have to save to an image sequence and then in LW 32bit load that sequence before I can save the animation.. Of course there are benefits to doing it this way, but most times it's just plain annoying. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this?

DivX says it LWs problem, not theirs. They don't see reason to do a 64bit version.... But it's a pain in the behind to have to switch between 32 and 64bit versions just to get an animation rendered.

Lightwolf
03-08-2008, 06:01 AM
For reasons unknown to me I can't encode my animations in DivX format directly from LW 64bit. This is a problem I have in all versions of LW9.
This is a problem for all 64bit apps... not just LW.

DivX says it LWs problem, not theirs. They don't see reason to do a 64bit version.... But it's a pain in the behind to have to switch between 32 and 64bit versions just to get an animation rendered.
They would have to though. It is their problem that no 64bit app can see their codec (again, not just LW).

Unfortunately Xvid isn't available as a 64bit version either...

Cheers,
Mike

Cougar12dk
03-08-2008, 06:46 AM
I agree that it IS their (DivX) problem.

It's nice to see someone with the same attitude towards this problem.

Lightwolf
03-08-2008, 06:49 AM
It's nice to see someone with the same attitude towards this problem.
Have a look at www.virtualdub.org for a very nice, free and fast tool to assemble your animations (if you don't know it yet).

Cheers,
mike

Cougar12dk
03-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Danke sehr Mike :) Ich hat vergesst dass ich virtual Dub schon auf mein computer hat.

Now I have no real idea if the grammar in that is stuffed silly or not, but last time I really spoke german on a near daily basis was in college (graduated in '97), so i'm a "tad" rusty :D

But thanks for reminding me again :)

Lightwolf
03-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Danke sehr Mike :) Ich hat vergesst dass ich virtual Dub schon auf mein computer hat.

Now I have no real idea if the grammar in that is stuffed silly or not, but last time I really spoke german on a near daily basis was in college (graduated in '97), so i'm a "tad" rusty :D
Gern geschehen.
The grammar is o.k., it would be: "Ich habe vergessen dass ich virtual Dub schon auf meinen Computer habe".

Hands down better than my Danish though :D

Cheers,
Mike

Cougar12dk
03-08-2008, 08:08 AM
:) hehe, well I suppose you don't have danish classes in german schools.

Lightwolf
03-08-2008, 08:42 AM
:) hehe, well I suppose you don't have danish classes in german schools.
Actually, I believe in northern Germany you do. But I'm from the south, we'Re a lot more likely to learn French.

Cheers,
Mike

Cougar12dk
03-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Yea, that would seem right, as in most of the northen autobahn gasstations they seem to speak some danish.

WRT french.... urgh. I had french in 10th grade. I am as close to never having used it as one can be.

mikala
05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
While the virtualdub route is fine to use I'm more interested in making avi's right out of the box. I've become used to using DiVx as my codec of choice so it's is beyond disappointing that they are not supporting 64.

Cougar12dk
05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
That it is. I couldn't agree more. I find it really bothersome to say the LEAST.

Qexit
05-05-2008, 05:27 PM
I have to save to an image sequence Hm, I can't remember the last time I didn't save to an image sequence before converting to an animation format. It is far more flexible, and a lot less risky, than going direct to an animation file. Also, it's the only option if you are using more than one PC and dear old ScreamerNet (plus 'make-life-easy' controller like ButterlyNet of course :D).

mikala
05-05-2008, 10:30 PM
This is about not having to save a sequence out as it is usually for just test. Not having to go into another program to make the avi using ones chosen codec and saving on that extra step. For me anyways.

Cougar12dk
05-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Exactly.... I hardly ever do anything that REALLY needs to be top notch, so I don't like having to make all those sidesteps to finish the animation....especially when I know it is possible to just render to .avi in 32bit

Red_Oddity
05-06-2008, 03:19 AM
You know that Quicktime imports image sequences and allows them to be played back as a movie (sort like a memory flipbook alla FrameCycler), so no side stepping needed for any previewing.

Also, anything that LW writes out, can also be imported again as an image sequence, import it into an empty scene, set that sequence as background and render out as avi file (a small workaround, but you stay within LW, this way you can also just work in LW x64 and render out AVIs in LW x86)

Cougar12dk
05-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Yes. I've thought of saving in Quicktime, but that doesn't show up in the format list either :(

The ones I have on the list are:

4X storyboard
AVI
Directshow (.avi)
Film Expand
Storyboard
Flexible Float
Flexible Integer

And that's after importing the plugins that are in the plugin list.

I don't know who needs to get their act together here, but something HAS to happen.... and quickly!

Mat
05-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Risky business rendering off as a avi, you wouldn't want to be rendering something that was going to take 24 hours only to have the power go off at the last minute or a system crash.

If you set up your image sequence in premier elemnts or pro, the animation will atomatically update each time you re render.

Cougar12dk
05-08-2008, 08:17 AM
That's assuming we all own fooking expensive software, innit? ;)

mikala
05-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Risky business rendering off as a avi, you wouldn't want to be rendering something that was going to take 24 hours only to have the power go off at the last minute or a system crash.

If you set up your image sequence in premier elemnts or pro, the animation will atomatically update each time you re render.
Strange I have been able to play divx no matter where they are cut off. Unless of course it's frame one :)

Mat
05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
I use premier elements, $170.

Red_Oddity
05-09-2008, 04:16 PM
FFMPEG and MEncode are both free and do divx/xvid encoding (i believe virtualdub uses this library aswell)
A drag and drop batch file is easily made, so it will process a folder with a sequence in it.