PDA

View Full Version : object paths

LearningLightW
03-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know why some objects have paths prepended to them and some don't when a scene is loaded? For example, a dialog box will appear and say: Loading "Z:\...\object.lwo" and sometimes it'll just say "object.lwo", where z is my network drive. This is a problem for me because when the objects don't have the paths prepended to them the other processors can't find the objects and end up rendering partially empty scenes. I've tried replacing the objects in the scene but the paths are still not added. The only way that seems to work is opening the scene using a text editor and typing the paths for the objects. But I'm noticing that Lightwave is erasing some of the paths sometimes and I'm getting frustrated! please help! Is the a bug? I'm in the process of upgrading to Lightwave 9 and currently am still using 8.

UnCommonGrafx
03-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Well, if this is to work with screamernet then you have to make sure that your drives are all mapped to the same drive in a similar manner.

On my little rendergarden, I have L:, M: and R: mapped to all boxes in the same manner, i.e., L: = content dir, M: = Main LW dir and R: = Place to save all files. In this way, all boxes are on the same page.

If you already have this setup properly, then the other way I've had your scenario happen is when I don't load the object through the L: door but instead load it from the 'c:\content\objects door'. In this way, I've mucked up the page turning and only have one computer that knows what the right page is, as it were.

Check that other artists aren't confusing things in this way. Hth

stib
03-10-2008, 08:08 AM
also check what your content directory is set to. I think by default if you've got your content directory set to z:\whatever\content\ then any objects in z:\whatever\content\ won't have their full path included - it just does relative paths from the content directory.

This state of affairs works as long as you set your render nodes to have the same content directory which you do by the -d switch in the LWSN command line, eg.: -d"z:\whatever\content". Also of course you have to have shared folders set up and mapped the same on all machines as Robert described above.

LearningLightW
03-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Right now I have all my objects in an object directory directly under the root. Am I supposed to keep everything in the content directory? I don't reallly know what I'm doing here...

stib
03-12-2008, 04:48 AM
You can put your stuff wherever you want, but don't expect another machine to be able to find c:\somefolder\objects\someobject.lwo if c:\somefolder only exists on your workstation. The content folder exists for this very reason.

1 In explorer, select the folder containing your content folder (wherever it is), and choose properties > sharing and security. Set sharing on for that folder (you may have to enable file and printer sharing if this isn't already on). By default this will create a netwok share called \\[your computer name]\Content.

2 Now in explorer again go to tools > map network drive. Choose your favourite letter (use the ones at the end of the alphabet to avoid confusion) and set it to map that network share that you just created. let's say we map it to z:

3 Now go to LW and set your content directory to the content folder on the mapped drive, so in this case it would be z:\content.

4 Now repeat step 2 and 3 on all your machines. If you use LWSN you have to add the -d switch to the command that you use to start the nodes, so it will look like -d"Z:\Content"

5: another trick is to repeat the same process for your config files and plugins. I map the whole folder where my current install of lightwave is to a network drive, so that all the configs and plugins will be the same on all my machines (I keep my configs in my lightwave folder instead of "my documents" and start lightwave with another command line switch -c"Y:\path\to\my\configs")

HTH