PDA

View Full Version : Camera monitors

Scrut
03-07-2008, 07:21 AM
In the latest version of Tricaster Studio software you can have 6 preview monitors, the first 3 of which are inputs 1 -3 and the rest are VCR's ect.
The problem is in this mode you cannot use inputs 4-6. Could we not have a third mode that enabled and displayed all 6 inputs but with no monitors for VCRs. Sometimes you want the 6 inputs but do not need the internal VCR's but in this case you have to use the original mode which gives no input preview monitors at all.

SBowie
03-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Could we not have a third mode that enabled and displayed all 6 inputs but with no monitors for VCRs.In a word, no - sorry. The limitation is not because the available screen real estate is in use for VCR monitors, etc. Rather, this is a hardware limitation.

CreatvGnius
03-13-2008, 04:57 PM
In a word, no - sorry. The limitation is not because the available screen real estate is in use for VCR monitors, etc. Rather, this is a hardware limitation.

But wait: relative to "hardware limitation", couldn't there be made, a 3rd user-mode option, which disabled the dual-VCR previews, and in exchange for those -- provided for 2 more camera previews?

That way, we could have 5 live camera previews, and stay within "hardware limitations" -- so one might imagine. NewTek's decision for sure -- but isn't that at all possible?
-PeterG

SBowie
03-13-2008, 07:42 PM
It has nothing to do with VCR previews - the hardware only supports three analog sources at a time.

CreatvGnius
03-14-2008, 10:17 AM
It has nothing to do with VCR previews - the hardware only supports three analog sources at a time.
I see. Three *analogue* sources max. Thanks, Steve.
-PeterG

Bobt
03-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Thats one of the reasons I made XtraChannel for the VT.
It allows you more physical inputs. :-)
You can have those 3 and 3 more and maybe even more.
(well see by NAB) Open architecture VT makes it all possible.

Bob

CreatvGnius
03-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Thats one of the reasons I made XtraChannel for the VT.
It allows you more physical inputs. :-)
You can have those 3 and 3 more and maybe even more.
(well see by NAB) Open architecture VT makes it all possible.

Bob

Glad we've got a VT in da' hause, Bobber! Will talk soon!
-Pete

Edmur
10-24-2008, 01:33 PM
In a word, no - sorry. The limitation is not because the available screen real estate is in use for VCR monitors, etc. Rather, this is a hardware limitation.

Hello,
We have the first tricaster studio version, how can I change to the three monitors mode?

Thanks

SBowie
10-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Exit to to the Admin screen, and change the startup setting in the "Configure TriCaster" section ...

filmlivemedia
12-07-2008, 02:25 PM
It seems crazy to me that there is this limitation! I was about to buy TC Broadcast, however as i do mainly music events, it is vital to see all camera previews as the cuts are fast.

Do you know if this will this be resolved in a future incarnation?

Ben

SBowie
12-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Do you know if this will this be resolved in a future incarnation?It would require completely different hardware to do so. That said, many have simply added an external monitoring solution when they require it. You'll find numerous discussion along those lines here. When you think about it, traditional switchers do not generally have integrated monitoring at all, instead relying completely on external monitors.

ted
12-07-2008, 09:48 PM
I was saddened about either 3 camera 3 monitor, OR 6 camera w/o monitoring at first as well. Especially because we built out a full component system requiring more expensive monitoring options.

But as Steve said, there aren't many monitor options with any switching units. :D
Now that we have our monitors it's not a problem. It's actually better having larger monitors for the important cameras.

Maybe some day NewTek will have a dual system, but you can bet they will get complaints because the box will no doubt have to be almost twice as big.
There will always be limitations by current technology. But I guarantee NewTek will always get us the most available. :thumbsup:

filmlivemedia
12-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Hey,

I suppose what i mean is, could there not be an easier option to connect more external monitors to the system, maybe a preview out bnc next to each input?

I currently use a 4 cam datavideo mixer and we get a quad preview on 1 monitor and live out on a second monitor, i assume that this is impossible with tricaster due to the same hardware limitations?

From what i can see people are using complicated ways of splitting the signal which i believe degrades it.

Ted - How do you connect your monitors and which do you use?

Perfect system - mate the datavideo mixer with the tricaster and add HD in/out! Then i would snap it up in an instant :rock:

Despite this really annoying problem, tricaster is still an awesome bit of kit at the price, just needs some kind of live previews!

ted
12-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey,
Ted - How do you connect your monitors and which do you use?

Jef pointed us to the VADDIO component monitors.
http://www.vaddio.com/audio_visual/preview_series_monitors.asp

We loop each camera's component video through the monitors then to the TriCaster.

filmlivemedia
12-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi Ted, thanks for the link.

How does it affect the quality of the signal into the tricaster, do you notice a difference?

Ben

ted
12-08-2008, 10:25 PM
I can't see any difference at all. In theory, there is likely a subtle difference, but most of the higher end gear provides great results that isn't measurable.

NRBC_Media
12-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Hi Ted, thanks for the link.

How does it affect the quality of the signal into the tricaster, do you notice a difference?

Ben

Occasionally you may see an AC hum bar when looping through a monitor, the Panasonic monitor banks in particular. Just something to keep in mind and look for.

ted
12-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Occasionally you may see an AC hum bar when looping through a monitor, the Panasonic monitor banks in particular. Just something to keep in mind and look for.

That's why I used the term "higher end gear". :D
Actually I'm surprised a Panasonic unit would cause this. Are you using some type of clean power?
I would think most monitor units would allow fairly good pass-through.

Paul Lara
12-10-2008, 04:40 PM
... could there not be an easier option to connect more external monitors to the system, maybe a preview out bnc next to each input?

If you examine the front of your TriCaster, you can quickly ascertain how difficult it would be to double the amount of connectors.

I currently use a 4 cam datavideo mixer and we get a quad preview on 1 monitor and live out on a second monitor, i assume that this is impossible with tricaster due to the same hardware limitations?

Well, TriCaster BROADCAST does have a hardware preview out.

Despite this really annoying problem, tricaster is still an awesome bit of kit at the price, just needs some kind of live previews!

Thanks for the feedback!