PDA

View Full Version : Fire in the hole (Global warming)

mattclary
03-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Miklós Zágoni isn't just a physicist and environmental researcher. He is also a global warming activist and Hungary's most outspoken supporter of the Kyoto Protocol. Or was.

That was until he learned the details of a new theory of the greenhouse effect, one that not only gave far more accurate climate predictions here on Earth, but Mars too.

NASA refused to release the results. Miskolczi believes their motivation is simple. "Money", he tells DailyTech. Research that contradicts the view of an impending crisis jeopardizes funding, not only for his own atmosphere-monitoring project, but all climate-change research. Currently, funding for climate research tops $5 billion per year.

http://www.dailytech.com/Researcher+Basic+Greenhouse+Equations+Totally+Wron g/article10973.htm

cc3d
03-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Last week the national weather forecast was off the mark on two days of their seven day forecast. This was 4 days in advance of the week of the seven day forecast.

Here was a ~62% accuracy 4 days in advance and we're supposed to buy that anyone can predict the weather accuratley 20, 50 and 100 years from now..

jcupp
03-06-2008, 02:00 PM
...we're supposed to buy that anyone can predict the weather accurately 20, 50 and 100 years from now..

Why, yes, yes we are.

Jim_C
03-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Currently, funding for climate research tops $5 billion per year.

Yea.. can't we find something better to do with this money like invade a country or find out where all the dang bees are going?

mattclary
03-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Its been said that the war is actually an energy policy by the current administration in an attempt to ween us from the teat of foreign oil. Personally, I think is a move to make Texas oil more competitive to foreign oil.

I agree, $5billion would go a long way elsewhere. Why not build a few of these (http://met.hu/doc/idojaras/vol111001_01.pdf).

calilifestyle
03-06-2008, 02:39 PM
You know even if you don't believe in GW . at lest you cant argue that pollution/smog is bad for humans/ lungs. i mean lets say we care little about the earth.. but what about your own health. i really don't want all that crappy air in my lungs.

mattclary
03-06-2008, 03:12 PM
You know even if you don't believe in GW . at lest you cant argue that pollution/smog is bad for humans/ lungs. i mean lets say we care little about the earth.. but what about your own health. i really don't want all that crappy air in my lungs.

Here in Tallahassee the pollen is what will get you, not smog. We should probably cut down the trees, we would be healthier around here.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/allergies/weather/tenday/32301?x=13&lswe=&lswa=&whatprefs=&from=allergy_welcome&y=5

mattclary
03-06-2008, 03:27 PM
This is cool....

http://www.dailytech.com/Canada+Says+Yes+To+Nuclear+Powers+Up+Reactor/article10022.htm

TripD
03-06-2008, 03:45 PM

Agreed. Which makes me wonder. We just keep on making a bigger and bigger footprint on this planet, which will ultimately cause us big doodoo at some point. If that isn't sufficient motive to change our way of life, then saving the planet, which doesn't need our saving btw, is a neurotic motive.

Last week the national weather forecast was off the mark on two days of their seven day forecast. This was 4 days in advance of the week of the seven day forecast.

Here was a ~62% accuracy 4 days in advance and we're supposed to buy that anyone can predict the weather accuratley 20, 50 and 100 years from now..

Climatology is an attempt to take averages of an extremely dynamic system. Unfortunately, the average of a chaotic system is still chaotic.

Matt
03-06-2008, 04:53 PM
So does this mean I can leave my heating on and buy that Hummer I've had my eye on?

:D

St John
03-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Poor Al... 1st the internet, then Tipper, then the election and now no more global warming, gosh

Dirk
03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Can You say "nuclear proliferation"?

*Pete*
03-07-2008, 10:02 AM
So does this mean I can leave my heating on and buy that Hummer I've had my eye on?

:D

Im sorry Matt, but you're still not allowed to do that...the trend goes toward energy saving living patterns and "eggcars" as prospector calls them...