PDA

View Full Version : EDIT MEDIA "Project Files" Import to DSK for "Multi-Layered Overlay"?!

CreatvGnius
03-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Provide a means for TriCaster ProFX™ and TriCaster STUDIO™ to utilize EDIT MEDIA Project files within the DSK!

I would think that such might allow for some really cool functionality, not unlike what can be done already in VT[4] and VT[5] systems: namely, multi-layered source material (having been placed within a project's timeline) being keyed over top of live video at the Switcher.

My hope is that TriCaster ProFX™ and STUDIO™ users at least - might be able to reap that particular benefit, courtesy of the special card that powers their TriCaster™ units.

If this capability is already achievable, in the current setup?
(Note: I wouldn't be shocked to learn that one can import for DSK use, a PROJECT file into the LIVE PRODUCTION panel's "VCR"), but I'm greedy.:D

I'd *really* like to see some easy-to-affect means of getting EDIT MEDIA project files into the DSK for Overlay purposes - independent of "VCR".:heart:

Anybody got some interaction on this idea? Should it at least be possible?

-PeterG

SBowie
03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
To be honest, I was surprised it's not possible now. But then again ...

This sort of advance use may extend beyond the boundaries of NewTek's model for TC, and could even arguably result in performance issues in a live production setting (given that Edit projects can be quite a bit more complex and demanding than simpler CG graphics and animations.) I don't suppose the ability was removed by accident.

CreatvGnius
03-06-2008, 12:43 PM
To be honest, I was surprised it's not possible now. But then again ...

This sort of advance use may extend beyond the boundaries of NewTek's model for TC, and could even arguably result in performance issues in a live production setting ...

Well, I see your point, Steve, but I'd rather not assume that NewTek would think to hamper upper-tiered TriCaster™ models' capabilities, -- for fear that their users would be overwhelmed with the need to use that feature with soberness of mind, so as not to overtax the system.

There's already the need for judicious use of resources in one of those systems (given the intricacies of live 3D Virtual Sets, used in tandem with VCRs and Overlays, all the while recording to disk, streaming to the Web, and such, no)?
-PeterG

SBowie
03-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Well, I see your point, Steve, but I'd rather not assume that NewTek would think to hamper upper-tiered TriCaster™ models' capabilitiesI don't think I'd lean to the word "hamper" so much perhaps as "protect."

There are significant design differences between VT and TC systems, with TC customarily taking the 'safe and simple' path. VT demands more of its users, letting them push both hardware and software into territory where angels might wait for an 'all clear' before proceeding.

Letting that happen in the TC environment might result in a lot of support calls from frustrated neophytes. I can already hear them saying 'My TC failed during an important presentation! If it isn't capable of playing back the dynamic 16 stream PiP matrix I made in the editor as an overlay, why did you let me do it??!!'

The reason I don't really think this is an 'assumption' is that the VCRs in TC are explicitly prevented from loading a VTP file. I can't imagine this was not deliberate.

jcupp
03-06-2008, 02:20 PM
I agree with Steve, those who need capabilities beyond the Tricaster simply need a VT. We sell portable VTs as do many other resellers that do the trick, think of them as a "TriCaster Unlimited" [ NewTek feel free to use that :) ]

CreatvGnius
03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I agree with Steve, those who need capabilities beyond the Tricaster simply need a VT. We sell portable VTs as do many other resellers that do the trick, think of them as a "TriCaster Unlimited" [ NewTek feel free to use that :) ]

Sorry, I'm inclined to take the alternate road on this one. After all, I suspect we could already arrive at some "Honey, I sabotaged my TriCaster™!" scenarios, either unwittingly or deliberately.

Only, let's add this feature "back to that card", via software update -- but make its accessibility somewhat obscure to the casual "neophytes" among us.

A parallel scenario is the ability to concurrently run Windows with TriCaster: while it ought not be done during a live switch session, it nonetheless is a capability that's there, howbeit, initiating that duo mode process is not something that's immediately evident to the neophyte.

More power to TriCaster ProFX™ and STUDIO™ owners! Hear, Hear! :hammer:

That's all I have on the matter, Your Honor!
-PeterG