PDA

View Full Version : Animating a building coming together - how?

kopperdrake
03-06-2008, 09:48 AM
I've been asked to create a skyscraper, glass and metal, and have it build from the ground up as the camera flies up the face. There are a few hundres, maybe even thousand, panes of glass, and then there's all of the metalwork too. To simplify it I thought I could use the boolean clipmap technique to produce the metal framework, with only the panes of glass flying in to position as the camera pans up, but are there any plugins out there to help with animation that many objects without me having to place each pane in a separate layer and animating them separately? Or is this just going to be an insane amount of time cutting and pasting in Modeler and keying by hand.

I'm sure there are particle plugins out there that I may be able to apply, but do any give the control needed for fine tuning when things come to rest?

R.Feeney
03-07-2008, 06:57 AM
You could try doing it in reverse. Start with the windows in place, knock them out with hardFx and then render in reverse (with a frame step of -1 set your end frame to 0 and your start frame to however long your animation is. All in render globals).

Silkrooster
03-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Yep, I think that would be the way to go. Create a large collision object at the top of the building, set all windows to hardfx, move the collision object down the building to knock out the windows, when you are done, render in reverse. This could work for the rest of the building as well. Knife where you want the breaks, then unweld the points. (I am assuming nothing is subpatched)
Silk

Spiderman6
05-06-2008, 02:48 PM
I've animated a building like that before for a client. It was only about 5 stories tall but here's what I did. I did animate all the metal work by itself and the walls but for the glass I used morphs. I would stagger the glass in sections around the building and fade them in as they morphed to their original position so it gave the appearance of each piece being animated seperately. I also did the same thing with the window panes. (If that makes any sense)

tyrot
05-06-2008, 03:19 PM
dear koppper

i ll do the same effect pretty soon and i m thinking to use "fertilizer" plugin for every layers ..

Best

kopperdrake
05-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I'd be interested in seeing the results :) The job went away as their deadline was crazy, but it'd be good to know for future use!