PDA

View Full Version : Reflections managing

hypriit
03-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Is there a way to manage Ray Trace reflections ?

I have multiple objects in my scene all those have reflective surfaces.
Now i'd like to choose what object is reflecting what.
On way to somehow mange reflections is Turn on or off -unseen by rays- put then no other object is reflecting it and its not reflecting itself too. Thats what i don't want.

So please help if you know any solutions.

PS.

Is there any way to blurr very bright and thin highlights-- antialias cannot handle these. When there are smooth curves reflections shows like stairs going up or down ..pixelated..

fgreen
03-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Unless there is a plug-in I'm unaware of I don't think you can exclude or include objects in a ray-trace reflection list (like excluding objects from lights-- kind of a cool idea though).

In the environment tab of the surface editor you can also choose options for the raytracing or turn it off or on there. Additionallly there is a bit more control by setting the ray recursion limit in the render tab of the render globals window. This is how many times reflective objects will reflect "reflections" back and forth-- like mirrors facing each other.

If these don't give you the control you need, multi-pass rendering and compositing may provide a solution. The hardest part would be workintg out the passes based on what needs to reflect where.

Also I've never seen the issue with the jagged reflections unless they are images, and the images are too low in resolution. Could that be the problem?