PDA

View Full Version : Emergency!! VT is eating my hard drive

pepperfly
03-06-2008, 04:07 AM
I am running VT(3). I was capturing digital video via a fire wire card. I have done this many times before. However, a problem occured when frames started to get dropped. The capture would just stop (as is supposed to with the right option clicked). Then the program seemed to go a little nutty. It locked up and then crashed.

Since the crash VT loads up and seems to be working normal.....except in the capture window, it shows that the hard drive is in a constant state of becoming more full. For example, I have 100 gb left on the drive then in a couple seconds it is 99.5, then 99.3, then eventually it goes to 80gb, etc...

The harddrive is making a lot of noise...i.e. it is being filled with something! I then exit VT and the drive seems to be back to normal, i.e. 100 gb. However, while the program is running, windows file explorer does show that the drive is being filled. I have tried to re capture footage, as I thought maybe that would reverse whatever that ails it. It doesn't help. I am still having problems with the digital capture now.....and the drive just keeps on slowly getting used up!! It almost seems like it is recording some phantom video, or trying to....but the record button is unchecked....and no video to be found.

We have a weekly tv program, and I need this fixed asap. Has anyone had this problem.....a phantom recording or whatever it is, that keeps filling up the drive as long as vt is running?

I think maybe it got screwed up and is either still trying to record, essentially nothing, or it is creating some crazy temp file....as it possibly screwed up in the crash.

Do you have any suggestions on how i can remedy this? I really am in a bind here and need some help....

thanks

billmi
03-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Since you had a crash, it is very possible that your configuration file is damaged. Perhaps that is resulting in some error making it record a file continuously. Have you tried running the reset configuration script?

pepperfly
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for your reply,

I contacted a guy who worked on the program before, and he said that use to happen to him every now and then. He would just let video toaster eat all the hard drive until it got to a point that it got so low.....vt would somehow realize what it was doing. He said, he thought video toaster was seeing more disk space then available and it would have to go through that before it could right itself.

Anyway, I'll try to let it do that, and if that doesn't work I'll reset the config file. Thanks,

justin

UnCommonGrafx
03-06-2008, 01:41 PM
*I* would reset the config file before letting it thrash my harddrive. Just doesn't seem prudent.

SBowie
03-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Just doesn't seem prudent.Why am I hearing that intoned in Dana Carvey's voice, I wonder ... ;)

UnCommonGrafx
03-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Because his brother's a hoot! I dunno! hehe

SBowie
03-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I think there's a scene in "Opportunity Knocks" where says that in his George Bush (sr.) persona ...

UnCommonGrafx
03-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Gotcha. I vaguely remember the line...

How've you been, Steve?

CreatvGnius
03-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Do you have any suggestions on how i can remedy this? I really am in a bind here and need some help....thanks

Once you've regained your footing, pepper, I would suggest you defrag any affected drives -- or better yet -- dump the media array's contents to another drive, then reformat the A/V drive array. But that's just me.

When you've got a chance, do let us know how you come out of this one.:hey:
-PeterG

SBowie
03-06-2008, 08:01 PM
How've you been, Steve?Too busy, man - hope it's the same for you. :)

(And I hope y'all haven't spent half your winter shoveling like we have this year!)