PDA

View Full Version : French Fry

Ryhnio
03-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm a nodal newb trying to texture a realistic french fry, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Ry

hrgiger
03-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Well, I prefer the McDonalds node over the burger king node. Although, you really do have to decrease the salt value on both because there's way too much on default.

On a more serious note, without being a pro on texturing deep fried objects, you may want to get some good photo references or better yet, buy yourself a large order of fries and really study them to see what you can come up with. Good reference is a must when trying to recreate real world textures.

COBRASoft
03-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Ryhnio: They are BELGIAN fries!!! :)

Poor us, we have bad politics in our country and one of our most famous product, the 'french fry' is named to the french :(

Weetos
03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Ryhnio: They are BELGIAN fries!!! :)

Poor us, we have bad politics in our country and one of our most famous product, the 'french fry' is named to the french :(

Yep, that's really weird ! Everyone in France (and most Europeans I guess) know that - I wonder why Americans did call them so ? When France said no concerning the 2nd Iraq war, USA got upset against us and renamed their fries 'Freedom fries' - that was the opportunity to reestablish the truth and call them 'Belgian fries', but this hadn't happen :rolleyes: I feel sorry for you COBRASoft :)

Ok now back to the topic

Ryhnio> Since you're going for realism, you may try to make some closeup picture of some actual fries with a digital camera and try to map this to some subD fries models, using a UVmap. At a certain distance, this should do the trick. Now if you really want to create a nodal texture from scratch, you may need to use a mix of procedurals to get the subtle color variations and the little amount of bump. Add to that a nice SSS effect and you're done :)

COBRASoft
03-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Weetos: it's ok :) I'm happy at least some people in Europe know this. For the americans.. well... France and Belgium are so small and close to each other and some of them probably think whole Europe is 1 country :hey:

JeffrySG
03-06-2008, 09:45 AM
I'd go with what hrgiger said... UV map based on real world observations and photo reference. You might even be able to take some good digital pics and use them as a start to paint texture maps.