03-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Ok let me be short.
I need feedback from q6600/gf8800 (gt gts gtx)/and adobe cs3 users here

why?

cause i recently bought new sytem based on
ASUS p5k
gigabyte 8800gts 512mb
4gb ram

and i have serious issues regarding SLOW refresh lag and in very slow response in after effects cs3 (8.0)

what i would like to hear is from SERIOUS AFX users to post theyr experience if they have similar systems so i can determine if i have problems with mbo or any other part of hardware. i want to note that i have tryed all updates including bios and firmwares and nothin happened

conclusion from me:
cs3 works SILK if i put 7xxx series card on my new workstation
my gfx card 8800gts 512 works fine on core 2 duo workstation with asus mbo.
all other CS3 apps and all my 3d apps works fine on this new workstation.

wavemaster
03-05-2008, 05:32 PM
p5n32e sli
core 2 extreme... quad 3.2
4 gig ram
gtx 8800...
vista 64

noticed a slow down in AE cs2, but thought it was cause of running on 64 bit. Are you on 32bit?
All other programs work fine too...

mav3rick
03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
yes 32 bit.... good to hear you experience same stuff...
i have tested cs2 also it is slow but little less than cs3.
did you try turn off OGL in preferences. try it.. than you will experience A REAAAAAAALLL lag
i am very sensitive to that crap and i am trying to find solution asap.
i still hope adobe will fix that but i am not sure about it either... thinking to switch back my 7950 gt inside until fix comes out

thanks bunch wave helps me a lot....

today i asked friend(game developer) to give me REFERENCE gfx card from nvidia ... he gave me 8800 GTX by nvidia manufacturer which means there is no better REFERENCE card than this card .... i have put it in my system and same lag happened.
so for sure this is no gfx card issue or maybe all 8xxxx series have issue with adobe cs3 in conjuction with quad based cards .......

once more GF 8XXX cards works fine in CS3 combined with core 2 duo MBO.

COBRASoft
03-06-2008, 02:33 AM
mav: Are you on Windows XP or Vista? NVidia has still problems with Vista. If you have the time and space, install WindowsXP 32bit next to your vista, install CS3 and test. If the lag is gone, you know more where to look.

mav3rick
03-06-2008, 03:59 AM
xp 32

COBRASoft
03-06-2008, 04:24 AM
That's totally weird. Sounds maybe strange, but have you tried re-installing CS3 once? I've had all kinds of problems already with my 6800 of NVidia and Adobe. Installing the latest driver of NVidia and afterwards re-installing CS3 helped the last time... If this doesn't help, I'm out of tricks, sorry.

Bog
03-06-2008, 04:40 AM
XP64, quad-core 3Ghz box, 8800GTS and yeah, AE CS3 is Pretty Damned Slow(tm).

mav3rick
03-06-2008, 06:07 AM
this is not good.... tell me what MBO you have and what GFX card manufacturer.

lunarcamel
03-06-2008, 06:17 AM
Running Quad core Q6600 and 8800GTS on 32bit Vista. AE CS3 absolutely screams.

Wasn't there a AE CS3 update not too long ago? Not sure if that helps or not.

mav3rick
03-06-2008, 06:32 AM
i just try to collect as much info as possyble for adobe to help out or to determine what cause problems... please send your system info
if you can do dxdiag and save me that data together with .nfo from system info
i will provide that to adobe to try to find solution

kosmodave
03-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Have you tried guru3d.com for info on Nvidia 8800 cards. I think they have a
program called RivaTuner which I belive will allow you to reprogram the firmware of your graphics card and fool the OS into thinking you have a Quadro Card installed. Then you can try the drivers for that which are supposed to be rock solid for applications such as CS3 and CAD programs etc.
I have not tried this myself, just remember reading about it somewhere. Also there may be the posability that NVidia have sabotaged their cards now so that you can`t do this trick, however maybe worth a look.

Dave.:o

Red_Oddity
03-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Tyan i5000XT with dual Xeon quad cores, Geforce 8800GTx 768MB, 8 GB memory.
AFX CS3 interface is dog slow,.

I thought this was normal (hadn't updated since version 7), seeing Adobe has produced nothing but bloated garbage last 5+ or so years.

mav3rick
03-06-2008, 01:26 PM
amazing how ppl get used to abnormal :) but i dont blame you i use afx every day and it is my app of choice when comes to compositing. i have provided my system info to one guy that sent it to adobe ... hopefully fix will come since all quad core based systems in conjuction with 8800 series cards work bad

RollerJesus
03-11-2008, 08:29 AM
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Socket 775 Motherboard
Intel Quad Core Kentsfield 2.4Ghz Q6600 CPU (64 bit)
Centon PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (8 GB)
Palit GeForce 8800 GT Super 1GB PCIe w/Dual Link
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit DSP OEM

The interfaces on all the CS3 products are terribly slow... I haven't done the adobe updates yet, do they help?

Red_Oddity
03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
nope

jaf
03-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Maybe this means nothing in this case, but there has been quite a bit of discussion on another board over OGL problems with Starry Night (astronomy program). It was mentioned that Quicktime 7.4 was causing major problems and it also effected Adobe AE. I believe there was a QT fix for that.

Red_Oddity
03-12-2008, 03:16 AM
I switched back to 7.3.x (after trying the latest QT 7.4.1 patch without good effect), but allas, no change, still bugged as hell.

RollerJesus
03-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I ran through the Adobe updates and all is well, except for After Effects. The interface is still dog slow.

jeremyhughes77
03-13-2008, 02:38 PM
IF you're running CS3 and have your multiprocessing on and havent balanced out your RAM settings to match then that could be giving you the drag. I am on almost the same setup. I just bumped up to Vista 64 however with 6GB ram and have huge4 performance boosts with multiprocessing. (FYI, multiprocessing opens 4 instances of AE in the background)

If its on, try turning it off. Also, check any caching, etc you have on. That can hose up playback if the disc read back too slow.

What do you think of PS CS3? I think its a dog on the PC no matter what. Mac is fine. All the CS3 adobe stuff seems a little RAM leaky right now. Hope they fix that.

Red_Oddity
03-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Checked all those things already, my machine has 8GB memory and these are really simple comps i made not even exceding 1 GB of memory use.
It really is an interface drawing thing, but then again, that has always been very bad in AFX (especially the old one, that one even started hogging CPU power like a madman when you just hovered your mouse over the timeline)

I did however notice that since switching back to QT 7.3 that the frame drops and strange reading errors have disappeared completely, so QT 7.4 definatly is bugged when using it with AFX.

It's just one of the reasons i avoid using AFX when doing bigger comp work, motion graphic wise (when using audio to sync for example) it is still a good tool.

As for RAM leakage, definatly noticed that aswell, just work a couple of hours with Illustrator, Photoshop and AFX open at the same time, and even this workhorse of a PC has to take a good long time to switch between programs.
And it's not the PC, i have been doing 2K Fusion comps while LW was rendering matte passes in the background and Mayabatch was running a render aswell, the PC (and windows) only seems to die when it has to run Adobe software.

Bog
03-16-2008, 03:30 PM
XP64, 4 cores, 1gig of pretty zippy RAM per core...

.... And AE5 is much, much faster. God, I hate Adobe *so much* these days.

Oi! Eyeone! C'mere! Got money for ya!

tootallll
04-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Help for optimizing performance of Photoshop CS3 on Windows XP and Vista see: Optimize performance of Photoshop CS3 on Windows XP and Vista (http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb401088)

mav3rick: Looks like you rock'n the right hardware...personally, I'd install Vista (64 bit version) and up ram to 8gb...I think you'd see a significant performance gain...jmo

Red_Oddity: what OS you using?

Blessings!

tootallll
04-02-2008, 11:55 AM
mav: I see you posted on the Adobe forums ( http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c0649ef )and it appears to be a known issue...please let us know if you come up with a solution.