PDA

View Full Version : ik booster and the Mac - no undo

Paul Goodrich
03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Hi,
Every now and then when I'm feeling like I need to be abused. I try and use ik booster. Is it me? or is there no undo on the Mac? When I move a controller and it flips out or twitches to someplace I don't want it to go. I try to undo and gee... There doesn't seem to be any undo function available. I press the undo buttom, I hit apple Z, control Z, anything... But nothing happens. Anyone else confirm this? Is there some hidden button or function I have to turn on or activate? I've heard it kinda works on the PC. But with no way to undo on my Mac, I (once again) find it to be fairly useless. sigh.
Paul Goodrich

Scazzino
03-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I've been using IKBooster quite a bit lately on the Mac, and am getting quite used to it. I have run into the undo fails sometimes too, but I'm not sure exactly when or where. I tend to bounce between the CFM and UB versions of LW so maybe it's just one or the other, or something like that... I'll see if I can pinpoint it next time I'm in there...

Here's what I'm working on with IKBooster...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=664294#post664294

medicalart
03-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I have noticed that if I have IK booster on a long chain and have several windows open (graph editor, scene editor, etc.) then Undo "seems" not to work because there's a lot of computing going on. If I wait a few seconds before hitting undo, then it often works. It seems that Undo fails on other occasions, though. When I use the graph editor, for example. "Undo last action" doesn't always work.

Paul Goodrich
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Well, wtf. I've now tried this on 3 different Macs. 2 Dual G5's and a G4 laptop. LW 9.3 CFM OSX 10.4.6 and 10.4.9. I created a scene from scratch, opened ik booster scenes from the content and THERE IS NO UNDO!!!!!!! Nothing works, not any key commands or pushing the undo buttom or selecting undo in the menu. There is no other windows open. wtf. Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on here? Thanks.
Paul Goodrich

LW_Will
03-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Paul, its not that we do not believe you, but if we can't reproduce a problem, how do we help?

Is there a specific way that you cannot use undo in IKBoost...? do you have a large object with bones that needs IKB?

Help us, help you.

Scazzino
03-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Well, wtf. I've now tried this on 3 different Macs. 2 Dual G5's and a G4 laptop. LW 9.3 CFM OSX 10.4.6 and 10.4.9. I created a scene from scratch, opened ik booster scenes from the content and THERE IS NO UNDO!!!!!!! Nothing works, not any key commands or pushing the undo buttom or selecting undo in the menu. There is no other windows open. wtf. Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on here? Thanks.
Paul Goodrich

Hi Paul, are you in LW9.3CFM or LW9.3.1CFM? If really 9.3, why not 9.3.1? I just want to make sure, then I can try to isolate the issue here. I have seen it myself, where IKBooster undo does not work, but I jump around in a lot of different versions and machines so I just want to verify exactly which version your using...

Paul Goodrich
03-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi,
sorry, been really busy here. I'm using 9.3.1 CFM. Tried it on several computers. I'm wondering if there's prefs or configs I should toss out? I know this worked at one time (at least I think it did) but I'm not sure. My workload is really high right now so my time on lightwave is somewhat limited. I'll try it on 9.2 as I have that as well, thanks everyone.
Paul Goodrich

Scazzino
03-18-2008, 10:34 AM
OK, ran some tests here.

8-core 3GHz Mac Pro running Tiger 10.4.11
Loaded Scene from LW8 IKBooster Rigs content: Zombie_rigged.lws
Moved the foot and hit command-z...

LW 9.3.1 CFM: IK Booster undo does not work...
LW 9.3.1 UB: IK Booster undo does work...

That's probably why it was intermittent here. Sometimes I'm using the CFM, sometimes I'm using the UB...

Chilton
03-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Mike,

The CFM version uses an older style of Mac menu creation that from what I can tell, probably never worked right. We rewrote all of that for the UB, so the menus now properly call through to the LW core. And yes, I realize there's more we could do with the Mac menus, but the bits that are there now should at least work.

-Chilton

Scazzino
03-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks Chilton.

It would be nice if they both worked of course, but at this point as long as the UB works correctly, at least it will work correctly going forward. It's probably not worth spending extra time to fix things like that in the CFM since that will be phased out eventually...

I only use the CFM when I need to use FPrime or LWCAD (Haven't upgraded my LWCAD to the UB version yet) etc... normally I use the UB now on both Intel and PPC...

:)

Paul Goodrich
03-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Confirmed here. UB works CFM = no undo in IK booster
Paul Goodrich