PDA

View Full Version : audio & video for lw 7.5

Draco
07-16-2003, 06:59 AM
This is my first post and as yet do not even own a copy of LW, but I plan to. Just as soon as the military sends me home from Germany. My question is this: What audio, music creation, and video software have worked well for some of you and what would anyone recomend. I have looked at and am considering Sonic Foundry's Acid Pro 4.0 with Vegas + DVD for use with LW. However, what about a good sound editor for combining two or more sound effects to create one unique sound effect? Sonic Foundery's Sound Forge 6.0 does not seem to fit this bill. Any suggestions?

P.S. I posted this in the wrong forum (third party) when I meant to post here.:rolleyes: I know, I know.

Psyhke
07-16-2003, 08:52 PM
I can't really give you any authoritative recommendations-- but, I have messed around a little with Reason. I know someone who has been using it pretty extensively and some of the stuff he has produced is impressive. It's sort of a mix of all sorts of sound manipulation tools-- sampler, effects, mixer, loop editer, etc.

PS - their website is here: http://www.propellerheads.se/

PPS I've heard nothing but good things about Vegas video, and for the price seems like a good deal.

Draco
07-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Hey Psyhke,
Thank you very much for your response. I went to Propellerhead via the link you supplied and all I can say is WOW! Looks real good. As you can tell I do not know much about music looping, audio editing, or video software since my last computer, before the up-grade, was a pentium 133MHz CPU, 72MB RAM, 1.6GB HD machine. Back then the video software companies promised a lot but delivered little. Now I have a screaming 2.8GHZ CPU, 2GB RDRAM, 120GB HD, already out-dated, no longer top of the line computer I purchsed last October.:( Honestly who can keep up these days.:D I have also been looking at Cakewalk. Do you know of anyone who has had working experience using that line of products?

Again, many thanks.:)

P.S. Someday I hope to have something worthwhile to contribute to this forum and the LW community at large. Meanwhile check out this LW artist. http://www.studioartfx.com I am into some Anime and his work got me very excited about LW and what can be achieved.

Psyhke
07-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Draco-- congrats on the nice upgrade, sounds like you made quite a jump up there. I did the same recently, though not quite as extreme as yours.
Re: Reason-- yeah, isn't that just a cool looking program!? The kind of thing you can get lost in for untold hours.

I think we're in the same boat, sort of. I am looking for a good combination of audio and video tools to extend my LW activities to the next level (although I know you said you haven't gotten into LW yet). But, anyways, also I too really appreciate what Mr. Walker (studioartfx) is doing as a "lone ranger" artist. I've looked at the stuff on his site, and read interviews, etc., though I haven't as yet purchased any of his DVDs. I keep meaning to get around to doing that.

Anyhow, Good Luck with all your endeavors..

Draco
07-17-2003, 01:22 AM
Hey Psyhke,
Okay I give up!:mad: This office computer keeps dumping my reply to your post before I can even finish typing it. This is my third attempt to rspond. My wife thinks I spent to much money on the new computer, the one back in the states, and that I will be wasting my time with all this CG stuff.:rolleyes: She should be glad that I have not walked off my day job. oh well, I had better not tell her about the 200GB hard drive I want to buy later.;) I still cannot believe Terrence Walker completed "Understanding Chaos" in a little over three months! Just think what he could do if he spent a year or more on an anime project. I spoke with him through e-mail, nice guy, and he said he used Cakewalk for his audio and adobe premiere for his video. There of course was some external mixing and midi hardware too, but he said very little about it. I purchased both his DVD's and he has some cool behind the sceans on how he did it features. I was very impressed even though there were a few rough spots in it, but then I am a newbie after all.:D I suppose I could critique his work, but he is DOING while I am only dreaming right? Anyway, have you heard of Cool Edit Pro from http://www.syntrillium.com ? They have a new version, 2.1 with 5.1 encoding. Looks good. So many choices it makes my head spin.

Thanks again for your help I appreciate it hope I can do the same for you in our mutual software search. take care.

P.S. If this war would ever end I could come home state-side and actually play with the not so new computer and Aura 2.5 I just bought and try some video edditing of my wedding for staters. My wife has been waiting for that.:p

Psyhke
07-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Draco--

Yes, Cool Edit Pro I used once (and very briefly) several years ago at work for a multimedia project but haven't heard much about it for awhile now. It's funny, I've also used Cubase (even still own that one), and Cakewalk, but this was all what seems like many moons ago when I was really into wanting to be a musician as a career. Now I barely remember what modicum of knowledge I had gained about using them. I'm just getting back into it all again, but from a different angle, and have to re-learn what's going on with the current state of things.

Lots of cool software out there these days-- it seems that even if you threw darts to pick your software you could most likely find a way to do alot of great stuff with it. :cool: