PDA

View Full Version : Where to get free music tracks?

SP00
03-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi,

I'm creating a demo for a client and was wondering were I can get some free music to use legally on my demo?

caccipergolo
03-05-2008, 08:51 AM
try jamendo.com
lot of material, even for commercial use with some restriction

rezman
03-05-2008, 08:51 AM
http://freeplaymusic.com/

Google is a good thing. ;D

sadkkf
03-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Acid Pro (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?pid=383&keycode=3138-3000) from Sony.

I realize it's not 100% free, but it's a one-time investment and you get exactly what you want. There are tons of loops you can download for free and you can make a track fit to an exact length, tempo, etc. Even create 5.1 and 7.1 surround.

rdolishny
03-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Acid Pro (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/product.asp?pid=383&keycode=3138-3000) from Sony.

I realize it's not 100% free, but it's a one-time investment and you get exactly what you want. There are tons of loops you can download for free and you can make a track fit to an exact length, tempo, etc. Even create 5.1 and 7.1 surround.

Agree with everyone. I have a license of Acid for quick bg tracks, and freeplaymusic.com I use a lot.

- Rick

SP00
03-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys, this is what I am looking for. Would garageband for the mac be any good at creating loops and music?

Wickster
03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
You can also try Apple Soundtrack, but I think it's part of the Apple Final Cut Pro bundle.

I have a question related to the topic. Why can't we use licensed music for non-profit use? If you know an indie band who did a cover for a bigger band to promote there CD at a Border's bookstore near you...can you and your friends typically cover a song and use that for your reel?

Also, I know a demo reel is like selling your specific skill to studios or companies so it's not prbably a good thing to use licensed music. But what about show reels, where you just want to display some of the things you've done? Can you use licensed music?

Lots of questions I know, sorry but I'm really in love with one song right now but it's disappointing to know that I may not be able to use it for future projects. :(

SP00
03-06-2008, 05:56 AM
You can also try Apple Soundtrack, but I think it's part of the Apple Final Cut Pro bundle.

I have a question related to the topic. Why can't we use licensed music for non-profit use? If you know an indie band who did a cover for a bigger band to promote there CD at a Border's bookstore near you...can you and your friends typically cover a song and use that for your reel?

Also, I know a demo reel is like selling your specific skill to studios or companies so it's not prbably a good thing to use licensed music. But what about show reels, where you just want to display some of the things you've done? Can you use licensed music?

Lots of questions I know, sorry but I'm really in love with one song right now but it's disappointing to know that I may not be able to use it for future projects. :(

I'm no copyright lawyer or anything, this is my understanding of it. If you buy the music, you own a license copy and can manipulate it for your own non-profit use. If you are talking about promoting your work to gain business in the future and make a profit, than it is considered profiting from the copyright. However, that is a little harder to prove depending how you go about it and I'm sure a lot of people do it unknowingly. Like I said, I'm no lawyer, so I'm sure I'm wrong somewhere. Maybe someone with more copyright experience can jump in and give their thoughts.

Steamthrower
03-06-2008, 06:34 AM
...can you and your friends typically cover a song and use that for your reel?

If that song is copyrighted, published under a label, etc: no, you can't use it without licensing it from ASCAP, SoundExchange or Sony.

Having a song on your reel is commercial use. Even a show reel is commercial.

LW_Will
03-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Sony? Sony is handing out licensees for needle drops now? When did that happen?

Steamthrower
03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
You can license music from Sony, yes. Last time I checked it was pretty expensive.

cresshead
03-06-2008, 11:18 AM
simple...
get a mac...
boot up garageband
plug in a usb music keyboard
and write some tunes...

how's that for custom free music?

cresshead
03-06-2008, 11:20 AM

(

sound track is also part of final cut express if your on a tighter budget:thumbsup:

cresshead
03-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys, this is what I am looking for. Would garageband for the mac be any good at creating loops and music?

garageband is somewhat limited compared to say logic but it's VERY capable even so...i use it to write music and it compares well to trackman, cubasis, cakewalk express for example.

Steamthrower
03-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I use both Garageband and Soundtrack Pro.

Both excellent programs.

dwburman
03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
check the licensing info for freeplaymusic - I remember it being free to use on broadcast TV b/c the TV stations pay a licensing fee. I think it's free for student projects, etc. I kind of remember you needing to pay for a commercial project that wasn't broadcast, but it's been a long time since I read the licensing agreement with them.

Wickster
03-10-2008, 08:06 PM
ooh ooh, another question (raises hand).
What about the classics, like Mozart, Vivaldi and others. Can I use those for demo/show reels?

Tom Wood
03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
ooh ooh, another question (raises hand).
What about the classics, like Mozart, Vivaldi and others. Can I use those for demo/show reels?

If make your own recording of them. Even though the sheet music is in the public domain, the 'performance' that has been performed and recorded by others is probably copyrighted,

pumeco
03-10-2008, 08:44 PM
SPOO, if you're wanting to actually 'create' loops I would recommend 'Ableton Live' for the job (see link). Live is an incredibly well thought-out sequencer/looper/studio all in one. It's also incredibly reliable and flexible, I actually use it as a test-bed for VST design.

Click Here for Ableton Live (http://ableton.com/live)

SP00
03-14-2008, 06:29 AM
SPOO, if you're wanting to actually 'create' loops I would recommend 'Ableton Live' for the job (see link). Live is an incredibly well thought-out sequencer/looper/studio all in one. It's also incredibly reliable and flexible, I actually use it as a test-bed for VST design.

Click Here for Ableton Live (http://ableton.com/live)

Hey thanks, it looks interesting, but I think I will most likely go with Sountrack Pro since it comes with Final Cut Studios.