PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Dilemma

David
07-16-2003, 05:08 AM
Video Card Dilemma
I recently had a hardware failure with my dual xeon 2.4 CPU system running on a Geforce Ti 4600 PNY video card with dual 21 inch NEC FE1250+ monitors. The card failed because there where boxes with vertcical lines running through them even on the boot screen. I even reloaded windows Xp thinking that was the problem(dummy move). When I contacted the dealer he told me I had a lifetime warrantee and sent me a new Geforce Ti 4600 PNY video card and informed me 4 out of 45 of the PNY cards he had installed had the same problem I had. When I recieved the new Geforce Ti 4600 PNY video card and installed it didn't work at all. My computer would boot with a black screen the, dealer insisted I did something wrong and he had check the card before sending it out. So I installed the card in a different PC But it had the same problem. So the dealer offered to replace the card again this time he offers me the following:

(Same)
Geforce Ti 4600 PNY video card (Lifetime Warrantee)

or

(Even trade)
Geforce FX 5200 Ultra (one year Warrantee)

or

a new card with $120.00 off for Geforce Ti 4600 PNY exchange
(perhaps a Quadro FX 500)

what should I do?

Also Read the following link
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardw...ation/page5.asp

On why SoftQuadro Sucks!

David
07-16-2003, 05:09 AM
Comparison of GeForce4 Ti 4600 and GeForce FX 5200 Ultra!

Obviously on a 0.15-micron process, the NV34 can't reach as high clocks as the NV31, which is why it shouldn't be a surprise that one of its first incarnations - the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra will be shipping at a 325MHz core clock. This 325MHz core clock is still quite high, you'll note that it is higher than the GeForce4 Ti 4600 built on the same 0.15-micron process. The difference is that the 5200 Ultra's NV34 GPU is slightly less complicated than the GeForce4 and thus can run at higher speeds without producing as much heat and adversely impacting the overall manufacturing yield of the GPUs.

link to full article bellow

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1797&p=3

Exper
07-16-2003, 05:50 AM
Stay, in my own opinion, with Geforce4 Ti 4600 or pay $120.00 and switch to Quadro FX 500 (if they will really give you this card).

Bye.

TerryFord
07-16-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by David
On why SoftQuadro Sucks!
Link doesn't seem to be working, could you post the full address please? I'd like to read it.

I am using SoftQuadro on my GeForce 4600, reason; better OpenGL z-buffer support, clothing doesn't intesect with the underlying character surface, and eyes don't "pop out" when zooming the model like with the GeForce drivers. Worth the very (very!) small performance drop IMHO.

It could just be coincidence that my z-buffer glitches went away after trying SoftQuadro, but my conclusion was/is that the GeForce drivers sacrifice some accuracy for speed. For me at least SoftQuadro seems to be worth the effort, but since doing repeated reinstalls to compare the drivers was far too tedious, my conclusing is about 60% obsevation and 40% assumption :).

Regards,
Terry

Exper
07-16-2003, 07:37 AM
David...
take a look here: (it doesn't prove anything... but...)
Quadro FX 500
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8018

Bye.

BeeVee
07-16-2003, 09:41 AM
It sounds to me like this site is saying that SoftQuadro sucks for gamers - the author has never denied that the patch is to enable users to get the most from their GeForce cards for serious use. This page on the old forum gives you all the pros and cons on doing it:

http://forums.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/36351.html?1044348474

B

Heimhenge
07-16-2003, 12:57 PM
David, with the bad 4600 installed did you ever get windows opening with nothing in them, or parts of other windows visible underneath, or momentary full-screen blackouts, or weird mutliple cursors appearing?

Just asking, because I'm having that problem with my PNY 4600.

A friend says it sounds like a hardware problem, perhaps overheating of the card.

I'm still trying to isolate the problem for sure. I have the latest drivers.

David
07-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by TerryFord
Link doesn't seem to be working, could you post the full address please? I'd like to read it.

Terry

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/workstation/page5.asp

(above) Here is the link for "SoftQuadro" also try

http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/softquadro/

David
07-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Heimhenge
David, with the bad 4600 installed did you ever get windows opening with nothing in them, or parts of other windows visible underneath, or momentary full-screen blackouts, or weird mutliple cursors appearing?

Just asking, because I'm having that problem with my PNY 4600.

A friend says it sounds like a hardware problem, perhaps overheating of the card.

I'm still trying to isolate the problem for sure. I have the latest drivers.

No I never had those problems, knew I had a hardware problem because in the boot screen I had squares with vertical lines through them. But it sound like you could have a hardware issue.

Aegis
07-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Hey Ben! It's nice to see my old SoftQuadro guide dug up again but it's slightly out of date due to revisions to RivaTuner - if you want to SoftQuadro your GeForce 2,3 or 4 check out my revised "SoftQuadro for dummies v1.1" at www.darksunworld.com/LightWave3D/SoftQuadroGuide.zip

On why SoftQuadro Sucks!

Something that article failed to point out is that a stock GeForce 4 has NO hardware lines support - SoftQuadro'ing your GF4 will enable limited hardware lines support - still not as good as a real Quadro but better than nothing. In addition you'll enable overlays which significantly improve performance in Maya and you'll also be able to install the MAXtreme drivers if you use 3D Studio Max.

Aside from that, the article doesn't make clear that there is NO difference between GeForce 2/3 and Quadro 2/DCC - those GPUs were proven to be identical with the only difference being clock speeds and driver optimization. Quadro 4's are (slightly) different in design to the GeForce 4's but a SoftQuadro'ed GF4 still outperforms a stock card in DCC apps (almost double the performance in some applications).