PDA

View Full Version : Image Alpha no working plse help!

williamb
03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi

I have made an image in Photoshop 7 with a transparent background

I saved as a Targa 32, Tiff 32 and PSD

I made a box in Modeler, and named the surface…When I apply the image to the surface the image no longer has a transparent image! (no matter what format I use)

I have a funny shaped image that needs to be in a scene, I figured using a Targa32 with a transparent image would do this…

How do I get background of the image to be transparent? At the moment the background is white (in PS, the background is defiantly transparent) I tested the image in Speed Edit and I can get the image transparent in there…

Please help…job needs finishing…thanks:help:

mattyb
03-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Are you only relying on the the layer in the psd for the transparency? As far as I know that won't work.
Save the as a .tga with an alpha channel for the transparency. In layout use the node editor and plug in the tga's color to the surface and the tga's alpha to the transparency.

williamb
03-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi Mathew
thanks for your advice

In photoshop i save as a TGA 32...in the save panel, it does not allow me to tick the alpha box..dont know why...
However, i can make it alpha in speededit when testing the same TGA file.
Not sure how the node editor works as i have not had a chance to play with it...so if you could help there that would be much appreciated

williamb
03-04-2008, 01:21 PM
just to clarify
I have a pictire of a person, and i want the background to be transparent not the person...i cut around the person in ps7 and and save as targa

mattyb
03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
IF you used paths to clip the human form out. Simply load those as a selection, go to the channels palette and create a new layer from the selection. Now when you save it as a TGA it will have the option to retain the alpha.

In the surface editor panel of lightwave click onthe check box next to EDIT NODES. Then Click on Edit Nodes. Click Add Node pul, down and bring in an Image Node... pull up your new .tga with the alpha. connect the .tgas color to the surface's color and the .tga's alpha to the surface's transparency. Should work.