PDA

View Full Version : Vue 6 xStream plugin difficulties within LW.

nothgiel1
03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
I have already posted this problem with Vue Technical Support, but I am under a deadline to get these systems integrated and need to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

I've just recently switched our formats from PC to Mac Pro and after downloading the Mac patch have been able to get Vue installed. From there I downloaded both the update for VUE 6 xStream 6.60 Build Full Update and Plugins Installer - Mac Version - Version 6.60 - Build 292547.

I installed both of these and added the plugin in Lightwave Layout and by all appearences it seems to be working properly. The Vue port opens, I'm able to load atmospheres, change the options, etc., but when I select "Vue Interface" to do some manipulating it will either freeze and shutdown the program or it will open it behind Layout to where if I minimize Layout I can fiddle with it.

The biggest problem lies with the camera and object movements within Lightwave. When I select the Camera and attempt to move it I can see the change in the XYZ position but the viewport remains the same without change. The only way I can see the change is if I set it to a keyframe and then scrub through the scene.

The error messages that appear are as follows:
3/3/08 3:37:37 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.newtek.LightWave.Layout[170] LightWave's Multi-threa
3/3/08 3:37:37 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.newtek.LightWave.Layout[170] ded OpenGL activated!
3/3/08 3:38:08 PM Layout[170] Error loading /Applications/Vue 6 xStream/Modules/DWG.eon/Contents/MacOS/DWG: dlopen(/Applications/Vue 6 xStream/Modules/DWG.eon/Contents/MacOS/DWG, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/Vue 6 xStream/Modules/DWG.eon/Contents/MacOS/DWG: mach-o, but wrong architecture
3/3/08 3:42:52 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.newtek.LightWave.Layout[170] LightWave's Multi-threaded O
3/3/08 3:42:52 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.newtek.LightWave.Layout[170] penGL activated!
3/3/08 3:42:52 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.newtek.LightWave.Layout[170] LightWave's Multi
3/3/08 3:42:52 PM [0x0-0x1d01d].com.newtek.LightWave.Layout[170] -threaded OpenGL activated!
3/3/08 3:52:34 PM Finder[92] NSOpenGLAutoscaleBounds=NO

Has anybody else run across this problem? Is it simply a matter of a mistep in my installation and plugin implementation? Any help that could be provided would be very much appreciated.

3dworks
03-04-2008, 09:48 AM
unfortunately, i can only confirm your troubles. the mac version of xstream is completely messed up - i'm in constant contact with tech support for many months now, but little has been fixed. apart the camera movement, also the display of ecosystems is completely broken, which makes the whole thing pretty useless. basically, you cannot use it reliably for work (...just for testing!) on OSX.

i wonder if those issues will ever be fixed at all, before e-on will release a new version of xstream (restarting from scratch, with even more bugs to fix...) :devil:

it seems that there are extremely few users on the mac side, because they don't seem to have any pressure on those fixes. that's why it is important to report all troubles and keep them busy until they will deliver the product we did pay for.

my only recommendation at this point is to install win xp64 (or 32) by bootcamp on your mac or to use it on a 'real' PC.

markus

nothgiel1
03-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Huh, and here I was hoping I was an imbecile by not installing it properly. I really don't mind calling myself an idiot, but I expect something coming from a company such as this to work at least somewhat properly. Doesn't help that they aren't doing anything about it either.

For me, this will just cause a slight annoyance due to the stock of PC's we were going to use for render farming. I'll simply set it up on one of these and designate it as the VUE/LW computer. For others though, this could cause quite a bit of trouble and even cause them to toss such a nice little program out the window. Disconcerting isn't quite a strong enough word to describe this situation of theirs.

Andyjaggy
03-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Join the club :) I finally got Vue to work somewhat reliably after 6 months of tinkering. If it wasn't for those amazing looking ecosystems I wouldn't even bother.

Where are you at in Utah by the way?

nothgiel1
03-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Looks like using a PC with Vue/LW is going to be a bit of a hassle as well. I attempted to load it onto a Mac using an emulator, but after spending a couple hours of fiddling the best I could get was a LW black screen after creating a procedural terrain and hiding the interface.

Annoyed and not willing to allow this to screw up the Mac side of things I've gone back to my original idea of designating a few of the PCs we haven't rid ourselves of as exclusively Vue/LW.

I'm inclined to agree with you though, if it wasn't for those amazing ecosystems I wouldn't even bother.

As to where I am, I just moved over here from Hawaii. I'm currently staying in the Salt Lake area until things get up and rolling and I decide on a permanent residence. What about yourself?

Andyjaggy
03-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Born and raised in Utah :D I just always get excited when I see fellow Utahn on here.

If you need any help with Vue let me know, I've jumped through a lot of hoops in the past 6 months and might be able to help you avoid some of the pitfalls I faced.

nothgiel1
03-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Born and raised, huh? You ski? Whereabouts in Utah are you?

I absolutely applaud you on those models you have up on your site, absolutely beautiful. In fact, I was looking at it when visiting my godson and he couldn't stop being amazed at the Powerade bottle.

Actually, I think I'm going to take you up on your offer, if you don't mind and have the time. What was the exact, working, process you went through in order to get it to work? I've loaded it up on one of the PCs and am still having slight problems here and there. Perhaps if I new the exact way of setting it up properly I could figure out what it is that I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andyjaggy
03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks, that's always nice to hear :)

Well if you are determined to try using the actual Xstream plugin then I just wish you good luck :) It's pretty buggy.

Some of the main problems I had were.

1) Vue would add an extra camera to my scene every time I switched between Vue and LW

2) The passes and buffers did not work within LW. This was a big killer for me, I do think it has been fixed since I was last using Xstream though. Either the buffers would render out black or there would be large black dots all over them.

3) Crashing. LW would crash every 10 hours or so when rendering Xstream stuff.

4) Cloud planes and alpha planes do not render correctly with Xstream.

5) Render times. Insane when using Xstream. The custom option in the Xstream panal never seemed to work correctly, so I was left with the preset render qualities which are not ideal for most situations. The problem is Vue will AA it's own elements and then they will get more AA from the LW engine (due to the fact that it sees them as volumetrics) So your spending 2X as much render time. You can turn off volumetric AA but then for some strange reason LW wouldn't AA the objects inside of LW either. I found the best solution was to set the Vue quality to preview, and then let LW take care of most of the AA. That was the only way to get decent render times.

I finally just gave up using Xstream. I know export all my LW objects into Vue, do my vegetation in Vue, set up my camera in LW and export the camera information into Vue. Then render in each app and composite later. Of coarse then you have problems with getting correct shadows. The shadow sand depth pass within Vue have some issues, but yeah, there you have it.

The camera and light sync plugins to export your camera information should be located in your Vue install folder somewhere, it doesn't manually install them so you'll have to do it yourself.

nothgiel1
03-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure if I can curse on this site, but it sure would make me feel a lot better after reading your message. I was afraid that was how I was going to get them to work together and was hoping you had found some way to get around the overall bugginess of the program. As it can be seen, no dice.

Well, I certainly thank you for the advice and help you have provided. It's just too bad E-on isn't getting their act together.

Andyjaggy
03-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Yep. It's a pretty buggy program, awesome results when you get it to work, but yeah.

Don't even get me started on the network rendering and the many many issues I have had just getting my stuff to render out of Vue.

nothgiel1
03-12-2008, 10:08 PM
It can annoy one quite a bit, but there is a bit of entertainment though. I posted this exact same question on the Vue discussion forum, got one reply, and thought I would check back today to see if anything had come of it.

Surprise, surprise, they deleted it from their board. I find it both comical and curious all at once. You would think everyone out there using it knows how buggy it is, or at least they're learning about it as they go, so why would they delete a post wherein I ask for help and attempt to show the depth of the problem?

Like I said, both comical and curious.

Sekhar
03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
It's still there: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1121.

Phil
03-13-2008, 01:07 AM
Can someone try rendering a bog standard frame containing a line or array of HV balls (running off into the distance) with Vue Xtreme fog/haze? I'd like to see if the Xtreme system properly integrates its fog/haze with other volumetric elements, unlike Ozone 3

Andyjaggy
03-13-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I'll see if I can check for you.

nothgiel1
03-13-2008, 08:52 AM
It's still there: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1121.

Thanks Sekhar. It was rather odd, I searched and couldn't find it. Didn't make any sense why they would take something like that down.

juli51
05-26-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm another one how bought Vue 6 xstream Thinkig both would work together.
I just wanted to use these amazing grass and trees with the LW render. And as I bought Vue last september, they said it would work. It didn't, and I had the same nice answers from Vue tecnical team,.. Like "have you tried install the new update etc...?"
Finally nothing happent,and I also feelt like an idiot, now I have read this forum, and I would like to write how frustrated I do feel after spending my money in Vue.

Must be something like we are few mac users etc..

have a nice vue

bye

lwaddict
07-07-2008, 12:11 PM
True...Mac users are getting the brunt of the errors,
but the PC side isn't functioning altogether perfectly either.

Seems the troubles start with the Xstream versions and multiply with Mac.

The "Infinite" versions run pretty well, stand alone, and you can use the imagery in post...RLE works pretty well.

Still...doesn't it just chap yer butt to buy something that doesn't remotely do what it says it would when they gladly accept your cash for it?