PDA

View Full Version : Hey, NewTek... G5 benchmarks?

Darth Mole
07-16-2003, 02:56 AM
So I'm sitting here, waiting for my new G5 to turn up, wondering just how fast it is. Then I figured, some developers out there must have units by now - maybe we can find some freidnly soul to run the standard LW benchmark scenes.

And then I figured, surely NewTek or Luxology must have these damn things. How about it NT - wanna run some benches past us?

Red_Oddity
07-16-2003, 03:21 AM
What would be the use?
The machines are not available for some months...nor is a decent OS that takes advantage of the G5...

I rather wait untill it actually hits the streets and it works the way it should (what use is a benchmark if the software it is running (on) is unstable....
"Hey, look, it's 40 times faster than a P4..but it does fry after 30 minutes...oh, and you have to restart every 5 minutes...no you don't have to do it manually...it just restarts out of its own..."

It would be nice...but those benchmarks would be as usefull to us as a condom machine to the Vatican...

Beamtracer
07-16-2003, 03:50 AM
You'd be surprised if you knew what goes on in the Vatican!

As for the G5, the Panther OS is a new OS, so we don't even know if Lighwave will run on it.

I think Newtek said that LW8 will be available sometime in "Q4" 2003. That could be anywhere from October to December (assuming it stays on schedule).

Until then, you'll have to rely on the existing Lightwave to run on the new OS. We don't know what issues the new OS will bring, just like OS 10.2.5 and 10.2.6 are virtually unusable with Lightwave.

Darth Mole
07-16-2003, 04:25 AM
Well, it would be useful to know how much faster the dual 2GHz runs LW than a dual 1.42 G4. Especially at the new G4 prices.

Sorry, but even though these machines are termed pre-production (or you're assuming they're pre-production), I don't see why they should be substantially different to shipping machines. What good would that be to a developer?

OS 10.2.7 ships with the G5s and the only thing it adds is the ability for the chips to address more memory. (Panther isn't a true 64-bit OS, so it's only going to add bells and whistles over and above Jaguar.) I would have thought that LW would run on a G5, out of the box, pretty much the same as a G4; all I was interested in is the real-world speed hike, due to the faster processors, and the quicker architecture.

And, for the record - again - I really didn't have that many problems with LW on 10.2.5 or 6. I guess I was one of the lucky ones...

Beamtracer
07-16-2003, 05:42 AM
There may not be any issues with the new OS, but any OS upgrade can potentially cause conflicts. The OS updates since 10.2 were all supposed to be minor ones.

It seems that there could be a few months between the release of 10.2.7, 10.3, and the next revision of Lightwave that would remedy any problems.

I hope we'll be fine but we'll have to wait and see. I'm always very cautious about moving to any new OS update, however minor.

Ade
07-16-2003, 06:12 AM
I dont even think G5 or lightwave mac is first priority in newtek right now...

Zarathustra
07-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Chances are most apps will run in 32bit mode for quite awhile, so I doubt the speed increase on the new Mac will be that substantial.

I would be very surprised if LW8 came out fully prepped to run in 64bit mode on the Mac. It's just too soon.

It took over a year before OSX became my main OS due to lack of apps. I bet it'll take at least that long for 64bit apps. By then, I'll be ready to buy a new Mac, which will be either the 2nd or 3rd generation G5.

64bit PCs will suffer this, too. Hopefully their wait isn't shorter then ours.

Beamtracer
07-16-2003, 03:29 PM
A couple of points....

Running in 64-bit mode will affect operational things more than speed. It has advantages in RAM usage.

OS X is a whole new OS compared to OS9. To run OS9 apps you either had to dual boot, or run OS9 apps in the Classic emulator.

The transition to G5 is a different thing. The G5 runs both 32 and 64-bit apps natively. So 32-bit apps should still be very fast. They just won't be able to access all the 8 gigs of RAM.

As for Windows PCs, their transition is a bit more difficult. First, Intel's Itanium (Itanic) processor is a failure. Speeds are slow, and it can't natively run 32-bit apps.

AMD will do a bit better, as AMD64 runs in 32/64 bit mode just like the G5. However, as far as I know AMD is hobbled by Microsoft who still haven't released a version of Windows for the AMD processor. You have to feel sorry for those Windows users!

Zarathustra
07-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Uh yes, thank you. I know the difference between OS9 and OSX. I was making an analogy.

The wait for 64bit native apps :: The wait for OSX native apps.

Yes, 32bit to 64bit is not like OS9 to OSX.

The point was things will be running in 32 bit mode, which will be faster then G4s, but not as fast as it could be. Thankfully this is without the dual boot Classic crap but it's still not realizing 100% potential.

I think this is one of those times you have to root for the PCs, because how long do you think it will be to get 64bit apps if the G5 is the only 64bit machine? Try never, unless Apple makes it.
64bit PCs will prompt programmers to make 64bit apps and THEN they'll recompile for Mac. That's reality, like it or not.