PDA

View Full Version : Exporting to Illustrator & Photoshop

Stephen0523
03-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Hello.
I am new to LW 9 and LW in general.
When I complete an illustration in LW; is it possible to export the 3d illustration to Illustrator & Photoshop?
If so, how is this done?

Thanks

JamesCurtis
03-04-2008, 07:17 AM
You can use from the LW Modeler menu: File > Export > Export Ecapsulated Postscript

This brings up a requester with several options and the saved file can be loaded into Illustrator and Photoshop. Please check the LW manual for details.

Ideally this is mostly used for UV map creation for object surfacing and not for illustrations as such, though I suppose that the planar exports could be used in that way.

kopperdrake
03-04-2008, 07:19 AM
LW outputs raster images as a final format, so things like TIFF, JPEG, TARGA and so on. You just meed to go to the Render Globals button under the Render tab, then choose the Output tab and click 'Save RGB' - you can choose what format you want.

Most of the common formats will go into Photoshop with no bother, don't use lossy formats such as JPEG though as you'll be losing some information due to the compression alogorithms. TARGA (tga) and TIFF (tif) are probably the most common all-rounders.

If you want to bring the images into Illustrator then it's the same as bringing any other raster image into a vector package, but you won't be able to do any editing over and above colour adjustments as it's not a vector image you've created with LightWave. You can overlay text and other graphics produced in Illustrator if you want though.

Hope this helps :)

kopperdrake
03-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Ah - I was talking about final 'pretty' renders (images) from in Layout. James is talking about objects you've created in the Modeler side of LightWave, but they'll just be the basic objects, no bells and whistle effects.

Otterman
03-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Im assuming you mean exporting a 2d vector based illustration from modller, not a final bitmapped render!

Importing from illustrator via the eps importer is possible but exporting-im not aware if this can be done natively from modller.

Mind, isnt swift3d vector based and that imports lightwave???? ANYONE?

Otterman
03-04-2008, 07:35 AM
You can use from the LW Modeler menu: File > Export > Export Ecapsulated Postscript.

Whatyaknow-that works....vector as well!:D

safetyman
03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
If you have CS2 or above you can use the autotrace function in Illy and get a decent vector image if you play with the settings. If you render with an "anime" style you can get some really neat vector images with little or no effort. In Photoshop, you can make selections from the colors and create lines with the paths tools -- good for blocking out colors and such. Lots of cleanup would be needed however, so I'd just stick to Illustrator for the heavy lifting. Here is a quickie example (and yes, the image on the right is 100% vector):

BigHache
03-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Mind, isnt swift3d vector based and that imports lightwave???? ANYONE?
Yes, Swift3D is vector based. It comes as a stand-alone app or as a LW plug-in. You will need v3 to be compatible with LW9.