PDA

View Full Version : Rounder Bomb

Stjepanovic
03-04-2008, 05:35 AM
:lwicon: Every time I activate Rounder and I try using numerical panel I have to first activate interactive controls. However, it crashes modeler. What is the remedy for this?:help:

Otterman
03-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Use multishift or bevel instead! Sorry, perhaps not the answer your looking for but ive heard rounder is buggy as hell!

Only think i can suggest is that u might wanna try limiting the polys your trying to round off. Ie-one element at a time! Too much and lightwave tends to fall over c!

Stjepanovic
03-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Does NT has any attention to fix this since Rounder is a serious tool much better than Edge bevel in terms of options? I would say that what I would like to see in new versions of LW integration and stability of the existing tools in Modeler which has been neglected. And this is one of the assets of the package Model + Rendering + Surface Editor. It's a little bit too messy right now - functions overlap, extend, and similar functions are placed everywhere. I beleive I saw similar comment elsewhere. In mean time does anyone use rounder in any stabile form?:bowdown:

Hopper
03-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Well .. in Rounder's defense. When rounder barfs, it's usually because your geometry isn't conducive to the calculations it has to perform to get the job done. If you are trying to use rounder and it gives you the whiney message that "..Modeler has become unstable. Save your work and restart Modeler...", Don't - just ignore it. It usually means you might have to slightly (and/or temporarily) modify your geometry to get it to act nice. Now if it's truly crashing Modeler and locking it up or causing it to bail, well... that blows. I've never had it crash mine - but it almost always complains.

It truly is a fight to use Rounder most of the time, but I've always gotten it to do what I want eventually.

Mr Maze
03-04-2008, 05:40 PM
And always use rounder in point mode, it plays much nicer.

Matt
03-04-2008, 06:04 PM
You should watch this:

http://www.stevewarner.com/Freeview/01/

hrgiger
03-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Rounder is one of those plug-ins that was bought by Newtek, only to stagnate with no (apparent) further work done to it. It's frustrating honestly.

Yes, rounder works, and there are many situations that I wouldn't want to be without it. But to defend rounder by saying that if it doesn't work, your geometry is wrong is a pretty big cop out. The biggest problem I have with rounder is it won't work on open geometry, everything has to be a closed shape. It's really annoying to have to temporarily close my geometry, round an edge, and then go back and delete all the polygons I had to create to close it in the first place. What a workflow buzzbill and there's no excuse.

don't get me started on how buggy edge bevel is...

zapper1998
03-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I have never had a problem with Rounder
what version of rounder u using???

Hopper
03-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Rounder ... But to defend rounder by saying that if it doesn't work, your geometry is wrong is a pretty big cop out.
Nah .. I agree with you. Your geometry isn't wrong, it's just wrong for Rounder. It really is a pain to have to modify your model just to get the tool to work, then remove the edits you've made afterwards. I've seen smarter tools in the LW toolbox. I wish it would work better than it does.

colkai
03-05-2008, 02:21 AM
If rounder had actually been worked on at any point, I'm sure it would be great. As it is, it's such a pain to work on for anything complex. Simple stuff is fine, but once you get beyond quads or 'basic' things, it gets all sulky.

I am starting to look elsewhere for modellers now as I get the feeling modeller is becoming the poor cousin in LW. :(

starbase1
03-05-2008, 02:40 AM
One thing which seems tio cause problems every time for me is using rounder with the option to add open GL smoothing polys on. With it off you stand a fighting chance of it working! Sometimes...

Lewis
03-05-2008, 04:24 AM
If NT decide to udate modeler propely (better to say when than if) I think rounder, edge bevel, bevel and many other similar tools need to be COMBINED in one proper tools called BEVELER (or whatever name then come up :)) but it needs to work on points, polys and edges with single SAME tool and not 3 tools to do similar stuff one different selection model.

And yeah Rounder is buggy in it's current state :(.

Matt
03-05-2008, 07:03 AM
One thing which seems tio cause problems every time for me is using rounder with the option to add open GL smoothing polys on. With it off you stand a fighting chance of it working! Sometimes...

Yep, leave that option OFF if you want to do multiple rounding on a model, then use bevel to add those later.

With it on it basically stops Rounder from working further.

Stjepanovic
03-05-2008, 07:27 AM
That GL option on could be the cause of it since the geometry is plain and simple, only 3-pont and 4-point polygons; and I recently I reseted my presets. However I found myself using it mostly for edge bevel. This is also probably the problem. Working with points does work much better (??!!)