PDA

View Full Version : modeler zoom fit all

gpdesigner
03-03-2008, 05:09 PM
hello all,
for some reason modeler is having issues zooming in really close to points . . .
close as I seem to get is 6 inches, what setting am I missing?
gp

JeffrySG
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
gp, what I do usually is select a few polys around the area that I want to zoom into and hit the zoom to selection key (shift a). This usually fixes the clipping issue for me. I'll usually have to do this a few times as I'm working on different parts of a big model. This also centers the rotation pivot point on the perspective view.

gpdesigner
03-03-2008, 05:28 PM
That's the problem, it only gets in as close as 6 inches.
The funny this is if I build a new object the first time I zoom in I can get as close as .0000 mil whatever, but then all of a sudden I am locked out at 6 inches again

kopperdrake
03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Are you building far from the origin or building something really big and trying to zoom in on a very small portion?

gpdesigner
03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I am building far from the origin, but I am not zooming through geometry to get to my points. The layer is clean with a single object but it is about 150 ft from 0.0.0.
gp

JeffrySG
03-03-2008, 09:21 PM
Yep. I just did a test and got the same thing. I created an object at the center and then created another object really far away. I could zoom into the center object but could not zoom into the object far from the center point. And all the color wireframe lines didn't draw correctly as well on that far object.

MicroMouse
03-03-2008, 10:25 PM
A single floating point number only has 6 or 7 digits of precision. When you move away from the origin far enough you lose precision.

For 6 digits of precision assume a number is 123.456. You now move the object 1000 units away from the origin. The new value should be 1123.456 but as there is only six digits of precision the number becomes 1123.45 and you lost the 0.006 off the end.

Move the object back the 1000 units and the 0.006 remains lost.

Wayne

rakker16mm
03-04-2008, 12:00 AM
I had the same problem recently when making the Port of Miami-Dade and then trying to attach it to my model of earth.

Lewis
03-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Miromouse is right you need to go back to origin for more precision (if you really must model far from origin check plugin called "jettoLocal"). Aslo be sure you aren't using off scale model with really big numbers (i.e. object sized in kilometers instead meters and so on).

gpdesigner
03-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks everybody for the instruction . . these things I didnot know, but then you could fill a book for Lightwave with the things I don't know . . .
Great Plug-in Lewis, I will have to find it, I hope they make it for Mac.
At the moment I am modeling DS9 and am putting together the outer docking ring so I am modeling quite far from 0. When I model something this big I usually like to do it in place, rather than move it.
Anyway I will investigate this plug in and see what the deal is.
gp

Lewis
03-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Not sure does jettoLocal work on MAC. But you can use Absolute Size tool and make your DS9 ship 10x or 100x times smaller for now and later just bring it back to original size (same tool) after you finsih modeling. By that you'll be modeling much closer to origin so you'll have more precision/zoom :).

gpdesigner
03-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks Lewis . . . .
gp