PDA

View Full Version : Having a blast with LW!

twkelsey
03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Just got my copy of LW this weekend and I love it! I’ve wanted to learn how to make 3D art for a long time, but my software consulting gigs just kept me too busy. After 10 years of telling myself that I will learn CG “next year”, I was finally able to re-arrange my time and make it a priority.

I researched all of the 3D apps before I purchased, but LW just felt right to me. Being brand new to 3D, one of the primary concerns that I had during the evaluation period was selecting an application with a wealth of training materials. This was one of LW’s strongest points, and I would encourage LW to advertise that fact more…I would imagine this is very important to other aspiring artists as well.

I bought “Inside LightWave v9” and "Essential LightWave v9” and am working my way through these books to get started. So far they are great and I am learning a lot.

There is a bad side however…nobody warned me that this was an addiction. My eyes are slits today at my day job due to sleep deprivation. Now I can’t look at any real world objects without decomposing them into primitives and polygons. I catch myself glancing at my iPod and wondering if I can somehow add it to a render network to tweak out a little more horsepower. Help me, I can’t stop! :D

MooseDog
03-03-2008, 12:28 PM
wtg!

yeah, the learning curve is steep, but it's a great ride, a ton of fun, and full of very measurable accomplishments. keep wavin' !

kopperdrake
03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
hehe - welcome twkelsey :D I'd almost forgotten that 'normal' people *don't* break the world up into polygons, thanks for that reminder ;) After 13 years I still occassionally find myself watching a rendering whilst it develops - one of the most mesmerising things to exist!

Dan_NT
03-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Not much I can do about sleep deprivation but we'll be there in case anything else goes awry with LightWave! Glad to hear you're enjoying our product as well as those tutorials, they certainly are an asset to be enjoyed, aren't they?

guardonduty
03-03-2008, 01:39 PM
You should ALSO check out "Inside LightWave v8". Very very revealing. Money maker videos

Barred
03-04-2008, 09:18 AM
I would add 'LightWave 3D [8] 1001 Tips and Tricks by Various [ISBN 1-55622-090-1]', 'LightWave 3D Texturing by Leigh van der Byl [ISBN 1-55622-285-8]'. These two might be for an earlier version of LW but they are still useful.

If you like Dan Ablan's writing style then 'Digital Photography Far 3d Imaging and Animation [ISBN 948-0-0470-09563-6]' is definatly worth adding to as his Signature Courseware.

I know that there are many other worthy books and video courses out there. I do not mean to belittle there addition I am just recomending some from my personal library.

Oh and do not forget here too ;)

plankton
03-06-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm also new to lightwave too.. got my copy in december last year... starting to get the hang of this program now... i also have the essential lightwave book
+ a book on lightwave texturing too..

am having a great time learning this program... finding it a bit frustrating at times not having having anyone to turn to for help when i need it... but i guess i can ask all those q's here!!

looking forward to many years of 3d goodness!!

Darth Mole
03-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Welcome to 3Ders anonymous! My name is Steve and I… I mean, my friend has been addicted to LW since v5.6.

Barred
03-06-2008, 04:31 AM
Even though I stopped Waving for a couple of years I am now starting again.

As we are having a quick LWA meeting ;)

Welcome fellow Wavers my name is Alex and I have been Waving since LW4 on a A4000. For my sin's I have been absent for a couple of years, though I have kept my subscription to the drug that LW is at every new release since.

plankton
03-06-2008, 05:30 AM
'Waving' hey.... is that what i'm getting myself into... hehe

Barred
03-06-2008, 02:20 PM
I would add 'LightWave 3D [8] 1001 Tips and Tricks by Various [ISBN 1-55622-090-1]', 'LightWave 3D Texturing by Leigh van der Byl [ISBN 1-55622-285-8]'. These two might be for an earlier version of LW but they are still useful.

If you like Dan Ablan's writing style then 'Digital Photography Far 3d Imaging and Animation [ISBN 948-0-0470-09563-6]' is definatly worth adding to as his Signature Courseware.

I know that there are many other worthy books and video courses out there. I do not mean to belittle there addition I am just recomending some from my personal library.

Oh and do not forget here too ;)

PS. LightWave 3D 7.7 byt Nicholas Boughen [ISBN 1-55622-354-4] is a great read on lighting. Sorry abought the delay Nick.

twkelsey
03-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all of the welcomes and the great recomendations for learning material. Sorry it took so long to reply...I have been too busy learning LW!

Someone mentioned the "LightWave v9 Signature Courseware" by Dan Ablan. I was thinking about buying this course...has anyone else checked it out? Do you think it would be worth the cash ($179.00) if I already have Dan's "Inside Lightwave v9" book? Does he cover material on the DVDs that is not covered in his book?

Well, gotta go...this is the most time I have spent sitting at my computer without opening LW in a long time...must...learn...more...stuff.

Can't wait until I get good enough to start posting pictures, but at my current skill level I am afraid I would just make Newtek's marketing department cringe :) But I'll get there brother!

Barred
03-07-2008, 07:46 AM
I have Dan's LW8 Signature Courseware and his book for that version too (I like Dan's style it works for me.)

The courseware was different and feels like having a tutor in freeform mode, by that I mean a one side conversation that you are listening into as well as watching him. I know that some of the other guys here have video courses but I have not seen one (cash flow hmm..).

I know there are alot at ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html from Proton (thanks Proton).

That should keep you going ;)