PDA

View Full Version : Preview Won't Work

jludwig
03-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Okay,
Did a fresh install of Leopard, reinstalling all of my applications, download 9.3.1, installs fine, (I'm on a MBP Core Duo, the first gen MacBook Pro). Now, I can't get Preview to work. Error message says, "Can't allocate preview frames." Which doesn't really tell me anything, but maybe someone in Newtek Land can translate.

sntorres
03-07-2008, 08:39 AM
For starters we currently don't have a version of LightWave that was written to run on Leopard, so that can be part of the problem. Some users have decided to install 9.3.1 either way, but I have not spoke to any about this particular error.

What is the make and model of your video card, and how much video memory does it have?

Have you tried previewing other scenes or just one?

Chilton
03-07-2008, 09:14 AM
To clarify this point a bit, we have found a few bugs recently that are Leopard specific. They are all related to a handful of minor variations between the developer seeds of Leopard we were using during the development of 9.3.1, and the full commercial version of Leopard. To further complicate things, the 10.5.2 update appears to have entirely fixed an OpenGL issue we had with iMacs, while it appears to have also created a new bug that deals with lower level file paths.

We are working on fixes to all known bugs, of course, so join the Open Beta as soon as it starts. It's free, and that's where all the bug fixin' will happen.

With regard to your problem, Jim, I seem to recall that problem being in there in Tiger occasionally. I'll look into it. Our other users might have some thoughts on it as well.

Thanks!
-Chilton

4dartist
03-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Running 9.3.1 UB on 8core Intel-Mac w/ Leopard. Preview works fine here. (except for the crash after you hit 'end preview' -nothing new there-)

I hope this problem doesn't find me! Preview is the bomb.. (although i wish it was faster with heavier scenes) We use it for animatics daily. :) It's how i get my animation checked off! hehe.

Good luck!

PS. It is odd that you can scrub/play a scene real-time (i know it drops frames, but still does maybe 10 a second), but when you preview it takes 2+ seconds a frame. Or if you just click to a new frame or hit 'go to frame' it takes that same 2+ seconds to refresh. Why is scrubbing and playing so much faster OpenGL wise than manually clicking next frame or go to frame or preview?