PDA

View Full Version : Steal This Idea Newtek :)

MooseDog
03-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Somebody over at a competing software developer pulled out a, imho, very clever idea:

Houdini YouTube Channel (http://ca.youtube.com/houdini3d)

Two issues going on here for NT:

1.)

With Kurtis's recent departure, I know the marketing department is being re-built. Fair enough, and I'm certain they have more than a few things on their plate.

2.)

Remember all those vids that WilliamVaughan did recently?

Cleverly Hidden LW Tutorials (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html)

AFAIK, there is no direct indication on the main Newtek website that they exist. Yet they are an invaluable resource. And a resource without comparison from other 3D software developers.

My humble suggestion is to leverage this resource with just such a YouTube channel. Creating visibility and excitement for your product with both existing and potential customers has no downside that I can see.

There's also a bunch of other resources just like the above Newtek has available to market themselves. Any ideas out there to add to this list?

wavk
03-03-2008, 08:10 AM
DO IT!

would be my advice...

:)

mlon

guardonduty
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
I think it's good in the sense that it "could" allow Newtek to transfere the constant updates needed to maintain their exisiting site to to this location. Fresh content would be uploaded by the cummunity keeping the site lively.

MooseDog
03-03-2008, 09:04 AM
seems to me to be more a prospect of complementing their existing site rather than transferring completely stuff (if i'm understanding what you're saying:help: ).

there's all sorts of stuff scattered about their site and servers that's really quite valuable. valuable in terms of being a help in increasing their visibility, reachability, product knowledge, buzz, customer excitement, etc etc. all of which, in its own small way, leads to sales:thumbsup: .

and as far as i can tell, the sheer volume of this free information is head and shoulders above any competing package's efforts.

masterchief
03-03-2008, 09:12 AM
My humble suggestion is to leverage this resource with just such a YouTube channel. Creating visibility and excitement for your product with both existing and potential customers has no downside that I can see.

There's also a bunch of other resources just like the above Newtek has available to market themselves. Any ideas out there to add to this list?

YouTube??? no freakin way!!!

there are better quality training VIDs out there.. how about SimplyLightwave.. you actually go through a complete project start to finish... what a concept, eh?

regards,
William

MooseDog
03-03-2008, 09:39 AM
agreed, simplylightwave does great stuff. as do the slew of other dedicated tutorial sites and companies.

agreed, using youtube to try and pull off something similar would be stupid :D

apples and oranges here. a dedicated youtube channel is about promotion, which in the internet age is about connection. in this case probably primarily connection with your potential audience.

just saying that all the short vids, tutorial, feature presentation and so on in nature, are an already existing resource for newtek/lightwave promotion.

oh, did i mention it's free?!

loki74
03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
How many people watch SimplyLightwave compared to those who watch YouTube? Especially among people who aren't LW users yet, but may become LW users & just want to see what it can do.

I agree with the statement "oranges and apples." It wouldn't be very effective, IMHO, to have long tutorials on YT. But, for showing shorter clips that demonstrate many of the exciting things LW is capable of, I think it would be great.

There is one other issue though--I think one of LW's most appealing features is the renderer... it's tough to demonstrate how HQ a render is with a super duper LQ video....

However, I think some nodes tutorials & other rendering stuff could work and would be nice. I've actually got half a mind to make a video tutorial of that natural media look method which Wacom (I believe?) devised. I've gotta get better at the method though. That deserves a video tutorial for sure, and I haven't seen it coming out of any other apps (although its probably possible, depending on how they do motion blur).

evolross
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
AFAIK, there is no direct indication on the main Newtek website that they exist.
For the record on the Lightwave front page there's a link to "Free Lightwave Training" that takes you to another page that links to all of Proton's videos by category. All of these pages are fairly new too, so they are making an effort to harness all the videos that have been created.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/images/freetraining.gif
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/training.php?t=77002

lardbros
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Well if i worked for newtek this link would be advertised on spinquad, cgtalk, 3dworld magazine, hdri mag, 3dcreative etc etc.

Newtek's marketing team do need to push. Stuff like 24hours of free training is valuable to anyone wanting to learn 3d let alone just lightwave. People would consider buying into Lightwave if they saw this kind of treatment of its customers!

Didn't realise kurtis had left, where has he gone to then?

MooseDog
03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
For the record on the Lightwave front page there's a link to "Free Lightwave Training" that takes you to another page that links to all of Proton's videos by category. All of these pages are fairly new too, so they are making an effort to harness all the videos that have been created.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/images/freetraining.gif
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/training.php?t=77002

ah:D

thx for that evolross. hey, it's always best to speak first and look later, huh :o

looking at that page, it strikes me as pretty well done. congrats to whomever put it together.

the currency of the internet is links. a direct link to that page from a youtube home channel page is a great promotional avenue.

if you could create a showcase for yourself for free, why not? imho of course:)

anieves
03-03-2008, 12:45 PM
even politicians are doing this...

rdolishny
03-03-2008, 07:42 PM
How many people watch SimplyLightwave compared to those who watch YouTube? Especially among people who aren't LW users yet, but may become LW users & just want to see what it can do.

Until today I've never heard of simplylightwave, but I visit youtube almost daily. simplylighwave requires users to know it's there, and I think log in (again, my first time seeing it) whereas yt is pretty much open to anyone.

I think that Houdini 'channel' or whatever on youtube is brilliant.

Jim_C
03-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I think that Houdini 'channel' or whatever on youtube is brilliant.

Agreed.

Verlon
03-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Well, to be fair, youtube is a much broader spectrum than the LW site. I mean, how much will I learn about Houdini by watching pirated video clips of comedy skits? Do you think watching that 14 year old girl dancing like Britney Spears will help me find a solution to my UV mapping woes?

The Lightwave stuff is all about...yeah, Lightwave. Sure, advertise where it brings in customers, but I would much rather go to the newtek site for my lightwave videos than youtube.

1. Do you have any idea how many workplaces actually BLOCK youtube?

2. Less of a distraction. No need to stare in morbid curiousity at something that isn't remotely related to what you are working on.

3. More professional. Is there ANY environment that shows respect for lines like "let me show you what I learned on youtube today..."

4. Pick your resolution. If I need to show something in 1920*1080 to illustrate my point, I can do so. Certainly, 320*240 is a little weak for many applications in Lightwave.

TomR
03-04-2008, 04:16 AM
Do something like this (http://community.softimage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58). Have a flash player in the forum to make the videos easier to watch and make them more visible :)

MooseDog
03-04-2008, 06:36 AM
hey tomr; wow! that's really cool. looks like marketing and the webmaster work in the same building over there:D

hey verlon;

but I would much rather go to the newtek site for my lightwave videos than youtube.

exactly! hook'em while folks are surfing over at youtube, and provide links to nt: training, feature presentation, well-known uses, feature examples, etc etc.

agreed 100%, learning from youtube is a non-starter. the sole purpose of the nt channel is as a showcase, a promotion, a widely available avenue into the main lightwave resources on these servers, and i think we all agree there's a sh#t-ton of resources too!

cresshead
03-04-2008, 06:45 AM
i think having stuff on youtube can only help to spread the word on lightwave, yes it's low res but it's also like having a shop front in the city's shopping mall rather than out n about in a exclusive area of town that most people never get to see...

make youtube content an addition not a repleacment...that way they can get new users browsing youtube rather than 3d artist searching newtek's site.

are you getting this?:thumbsup:

guardonduty
03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
The YOUTUBE site would be managed by users. Why did Houdinin create it? TO be more professional, or to grow its exposure = interest = buyers. Think about server space. How many times have you and everyone else reaaaaally wanted to see a cool 3D video that someone created and PRAYED there was a youtube link. Ask yourself why? Would it be nice to have that video on YOUTUBE-NEWTEK first instead of just youtube or that other location that can't handle the traffic.

With the "peek" of what's coming in the 9.5(great sutff) updates there had better be an alternate location to host the VOLUME post thats coming down the pipeline. Why not make that location YOUTUBE-NEWTEK. Every piece of work that has ever been done will be reposted with "HAIRRRRRR' "the new "LIGHTINGGGGG" etc.....OH... they will also post the old render and the new render side my side. can you say more server space. A goal of marketing is the attract and capture your clients. You increase that by BRANDING. YOUTUBE-NEWTEK is a good brand, a good place for users to look first. After you have captured them you bring them into NEWTEK.com....take their money...show them how to make more money with the professional, specific videos and community.

Can't wait for 9.5.

MooseDog
03-04-2008, 07:16 AM
...make youtube content an addition not a repleacment...that way they can get new users browsing youtube rather than 3d artist searching newtek's site.

are you getting this?:thumbsup:

bingo! such a page is a showcase of selected material, with lots of links directly to the real stuff over here on these servers.

the potential audience is certainly new and curious users, but don't forget committed 3d artists too, as they/we also surf youtube. you never know what's happening: a guy works for production house xyz, and has to solve a problem at work. while surfing he/she comes across this, sees a solution, goes to the nt site and tells his boss that lw can do what he's trying to solve. not an unimaginable situation.

sweet g-o-d. this is all going in a great direction. thx. (edit: i wanted to shorthand guardonduty and got that! LOL!)

guardonduty
03-04-2008, 07:23 AM
mouse dog...cool you picked up on that. Kind of self explanitory. Keep the faith.