PDA

View Full Version : OT: A little tech assist

KevinL
03-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I have an older laptop (given to me) that I managed to get running again. I upgraded to win 2000 and was trying put in the new driver for the Linksys wireless adapter. My problem: Linksys software requires IE 5.5 or greater. The laptop has IE 5 currently. No Ethernet jack (they didn't give me the port replicator). So obviously I can't connect and download the IE 5.5.

I thought I'd just run over to MS and download the the full IE 5.5 or 6 version onto another machine and then mem stick to the laptop. Surprise (not really) MS only offers the little loader app (the one you double click and it starts downloading the rest of the install files). There is a tricky little bit of command line garbage that should make this puppy download the full app and store it on your drive. It doesn't work, because MS has issues. Specifically it complains it can't connect right now/check your internet connection.... Different forums talk about this sometimes being an issue. Tried all the solutions I've found so far.

My Question: Has anyone ever had experience with this and could point me in the right direction or know of a way to get IE 5.5 or 6 from some other source.

For want of a nail the shoe was lost......

Thank you,
Kevin L

cresshead
03-02-2008, 04:35 PM
have you tried this?
http://www.updatexp.com/download-ie6.html

or this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257249

Hopper
03-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Try this. I've done the same thing on an older machine with no network connection.

http://www.desilva.biz/misc/ie6dl.html

I'm surprised, they used to have an offline installation option when you downloaded IE..

KevinL
03-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Thank you for the replies. Yes I had found the info on the command line trick. Unfortunately it does the little caveat that the web sites mention "sometimes it will fail to connect" and they suggest you try back later. I've been trying for 3 days, doing little tips to try and work around it. No joy so far. Wouldn't it be nice if MS just post the file on the website.... well I can dream, would needs connectivity anyway :)

Kevin L

Hopper
03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
You should be able to load the Linksys driver without having a browser. I've used almost every Linksys wireless adapter on the planet. What version are you using?

If you can at least get the driver installed, you can manually configure the adapter without a browser.

KevinL
03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I have gotten the driver installed, by manually doing the update driver route in device manager. The adapter shows the driver loaded OK. I can manually start the GCC.exe app that lets you see networks. But when I put in my WEP and connect it never finds a connect (no access point associated with...)

I suspect theres some freaky little thing in the install. When I tried to just do an install using their setup.exe thats when it complained that it needed IE 5.5 or higher. In online chat with LinkSys they claimed that yeah IE 5.5 was required. I don't buy that. Why would the browser matter (unless theres some common files, like dll's or some such) in operation I don't see the reason myself.

Kevin

Hopper
03-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Hmmm .. odd. The browser is used as an access method to add and modify
Adhoc network settings , but that's about it. The only reason it requires 5.5 is for SSL 2.0 and Javascript prototyping that's not available without 5.5 or SP1. If you put in your WEP keys and it's still not connecting, at least force your wireless switch/router to broadcast and make sure it actually sees the access point. Try changing the broadcast channels from 10 to 11 also. I've had issues with LinkSys firmware being picky with channels on some devices.