PDA

View Full Version : PSD export

JML
07-15-2003, 06:27 PM
I'm rendering a scene with "shading noise reduction" and it works fine in the LW render but when I open it in photoshop
the shading layer has noise... apparently, the shading noise reduction is not saving during the PSD export...
am I right?

Mylenium
07-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Shading noise reduction is a post process and will only be visible in the RGB channels. It does not effect any buffers or even the alpha.

Mylenium

JML
07-16-2003, 08:19 PM
so is there anyway in photoshop to re-create the "shading noise reduction" ?

also if you use area lights or I think any type of light types,
the shadow of the light will be in the shadow layer which is normal but also in the diffuse shading...it doesn't seem normal...
for example, how I am supposed to change the darkness of the shadow if it's also inside the diffuse shading...

another thing, I tried to put all the layers in the right order the same way I saw on a web site, and most of the time it comes close to the LW render but the light source(s) seem to be white..
If I have a green light and and a red light, it won't show up when I put all the layers together..

I hope that in LW8 the PSD export will be perfect (layers in the right order and everything..)

if anybody has any idea to solve my problems with the PSD export, please tell me.

thanks

richpr
07-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Check out some info on separating layers... I saw a good thread recently on the lightwave group site where a member described in details how he renders everything from lightwave in separate layers... Quite interesting and as I understand it, it is often done this way professionally to allow for greater post-production flexibility... lwg3d.org should be back soon.

Also the book Lighting and Rendering [Digital series by New Riders] by Jeremy Birn goes into this in detail... Chapter 10 Compositing starts out with this...

You might check some compositing forums on CG Sites as well...

Carbon71
09-26-2003, 08:41 AM
I'm hoping to composite also in PS.
I've got that Jeremy birn book (which is great) and I'll check that out.

If anyone has a link to
"a good thread recently on the lightwave group site where a member described in details how he renders everything from lightwave in separate layers"
I would love to check that out

Jockomo
09-27-2003, 10:01 AM
Lee does a great demonstration of PSD export in the new DFX+ tutorials. He also goes into photoshop and explains how to setup your layers.

here is the link:

PSD_Saving.mov (ftp://gecko.newtek.com/multimedia/eyeon/PSD_Saving.mov)

You'll probably want to rightclick/saveas for this one, it may be a little big to see in a browser