PDA

View Full Version : SplineGod's free spaceship tutorial

Beamtracer
07-15-2003, 04:57 PM
There was something posted about this elsewhere on Newtek's forum, but I thought some Mac users may have missed it...

Larry "SplineGod" Shultz has released more free video tutorials to download in Quicktime format for Mac users.

Check it out here:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/sampler.htm

The tutorial covers how to make this spaceship (seen in this template image):
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/reference/Transport_reference.jpg

There are 5 Quicktime movies to download. These are the file sizes, which aren't mentioned on the website:

Movie 1 - Starting the Ship 10.6MB

Movie 2 - Roughing out the fusilage 11.1MB

Movie 3 - Starting the wings 12.0MB

Movie 4 - Start of detailing 20.0MB

Movie 5 - Finishing the ship 14.8MB

They are in Sorenson3 codec, so they should play on Quicktime version 5 or 6 players. It's not often you get video tutorials for free!

riki
07-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Yeah I saw those, great to see someone else work, they always do something differently.

Beamtracer
07-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Newbies no longer have an excuse why they can't model in Lightwave.

And, as you say, experienced people may also gain by watching how someone else creates a model.

Once upon a time long ago, Larry the SplineGod used to make tutorials in AVI formats that were totally unplayable on the Mac. I must admit I used to blast him on these forums because of that.

Now he makes his tutorials in Quicktime format so Mac Lightwavers can access them. So I thought that was worth a plug.

I've seen many of Larry SplineGod's paid tutes also, and can vouch that they are extremely worthwhile.

Johnny
07-15-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
Newbies no longer have an excuse why they can't model in Lightwave.

I'll drink to that..I watched only the first in the spaceship tute so far, and was a real eye-opener on some of the WAYS in which tools can be used.

that tutorial series is a gift! thank you!

J

Jimzip
07-16-2003, 07:34 AM
Excellent! Thanks SplineGod! And also thank you Beam, I didn't know about that page.

Jimzip :D

MGuerra
07-16-2003, 10:51 AM
I checked the link and he also had a quick video about spline patch modeling. I noticed he started by placing points down, then hitting ctrl-t to create the spline (or connect the dots).

I've been playing around with the Spline Draw tool and it appears to accomplish the same thing, but in fewer steps (you don't have the connect the dots).

I'm curious to know if Spline Draw works the same as what he's doing, or if there's a specific reason he does it the other way? Perhaps preference, habit, or there's something about Spline Draw that is different.

Anyway, just curious...

SplineGod
07-18-2003, 12:18 AM
Hey Beam,
Thanks a lot for the minireview. :)
Im glad that people know that I switched over to quicktime to make the tutorials/courses more universally accessible to both Mac and PC users.
That spaceship tutorial is actually an exerpt from my Intro to Lightwave Course. This is one hour out of 30 hrs of material not including the online support.
Im just glad Beam brought it to everyones attention that ALL my CDs and courses are in quicktime format. Thanks again Beam!

As Mike also pointed out Splinedraw will work fine.
I like to avoid drawing or sketching splines after the initial contours are laid by just adding a point here or there and then using ctrl p to make a new spline. This keeps me from having to constantly weld curves. Thanks for pointing that out Mike. :)