PDA

View Full Version : Combine a model in a scene into a single object.

Euthanasiast
02-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I recently purchased a complex model and got the scene file and about 50 object files that make up the various pieces of the model. I need to be able to combine the objects into one object, but bringing it into modeler just stacks the layers in the same location. Is there away I can combine all of these smaller layers objects in the scene into one layer? Can I do it in modeler?

colkai
02-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Yep, there is a command to collapse the layers to a single layer in this set of plugins
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1490
Alternatively.
When you load modeller, all layers are visible, at this point, simply use the cut command (ctrl+x), select layer 1 and paste.

Euthanasiast
02-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Okay, but what you are describing sounds like something you use once you have the object with multiple layers in modeler, then it collapses them into one layer. The problem is that I have a single model that is made up of 50 different .lwo files. If I bring them into modeler one at the time, they are stacked in a central location and the model is a mess. I need to be able to take the assembled object from the LWS file and export it somehow into a single .LWO file.

Will this do that?

Euthanasiast
02-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Also, it didn't work for me. I'm running Lightwave 9.3 and I kept getting all kinds of load errors.

arsad
02-29-2008, 02:11 PM
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2342

one click solution!

Euthanasiast
02-29-2008, 03:16 PM
~Sigh~

I wish.

Line 45, found ';' cannot create IPC queue 'Master'
Line: expose il_macmd, il_swapdir, il_newobj as Master;

arsad
03-01-2008, 12:19 AM
sorry, didn't test it myself. I just knew it was out there!

colkai
03-01-2008, 01:57 AM
The problem is that I have a single model that is made up of 50 different .lwo files.
Ahh, no, the only thing I can suggest then is to try something using a 3rd party converter.
There was a 'load scene' from DStorm but don't know if it works in 9.3.1

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/modeler.htm#LoadObjectsFromScene
EDIT: seems to

Dodgy
03-01-2008, 04:22 AM
http://www.mikegreen.name/Files/MG_Save_Transformed.zip

Try these. One saves all the objects from the scene, and one loads items from a directory into one object.

Euthanasiast
03-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Nope. I'm still getting errors. I don't know if this is a compatibility issue or if these plug-ins just aren't meant to perform this particular function. I find it odd that I seem to be the first person that actually needs to perform this.

Ramen Sama
03-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I could definately use this for the game i'm working on. I'll see if i can find anything to work.

Ramen Sama
03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I noticed the One Click Scene to Object also gave me an error "Failed"

Dodgy
03-01-2008, 10:17 PM
what kind of errors are you getting from my plugins?

Euthanasiast
03-02-2008, 10:47 PM
MG_OBJECTS_TO_OBJECT gives the following as soon as I click:

Unresolved function reference:load()

Then I click OK and get the target box and I click OK again and get:

Line 33, attempt to access undeclared array myfiles

or sometimes:

Line 46, unable to locate function reference load

And that ends it.

Dodgy
03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
What file are you picking when you run the script?

Euthanasiast
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong here. I assume you have to load the plugins in layout then open the scene with all of the objects that you want to save into a single object. I select all the objects and I click your plugin button. That's when I start getting the errors.

Perhaps an explanation of how the program works would be better. I've tried it several obvious ways but none of them are working for me.

Euthanasiast
03-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Further...

I mean, I have to have the scene loaded before I can even use the script or nothing happens and then I select all my objects in the scene and I click the button for your plugin. That's when I get the first error.

Euthanasiast
03-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Still further...

I brought the script up in modeler, and selected the directory where all of the object files were and it did open them all in modeler, but most of them were still stacked on top of each other. Perhaps I should let you look at the model and see what the issue is.

Dodgy
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
You open the scene in layout, then use the save transformed to save the objects in a directory you create. You then in modeler, use the other load objects to object to select the directory you just saved to and it'll load them, hopefully in the right places.

Euthanasiast
03-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I think I got it. Awesome, and thanks!

ChrisW
06-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Is there a limit to the number of objects it will combine? I have a model, that, when it converted to LW, created over 2000 separate lightwave objects...
I'm willing to give it a shot - the alternative is daunting...

ChrisW
06-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I can answer my own question - it brought them all in to one object without a hitch.
Thank you so much for posting this incredibly useful plugin!

ChrisW
12-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Mike, you pulled my ***** out of the fire once again, thanks.