PDA

View Full Version : Dongle

FXKing
02-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering with regards to the dongle. If it gets damaged or lost do I get a replacement or do I have to buy one ?
Only wondering because of the speed I manage to lose things.

Thanks

Matt

:lightwave

iconoclasty
02-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Don't lose it. If it's broken you can send back the pieces and get a new one for free ( or maybe just really cheap). If you lose it however, you have to pay a fee for a new one to prevent license fraud.

Lottmedia
02-29-2008, 12:11 PM
I really wish they would look to a different paradigm for licensing. I've complained about this before, I believe, but I work both at my workstation and my laptop on the road a lot, and I hate having the dongle sticking out of my laptop. Considering it represents several hundred dollars worth of software (at least it represents it working) I don't really like having it sticking out like that. Fear of breaking it off or loosing it keeps me from tweaking an animation on the plane or at the coffee shop.
Even if they would go to something like the low-profile bluetooth adaptors I've seen that don't stick out would be an improvement. I would much rather something like Adobe's system rather than the dongle. All the dongle is really doing is annoying those of us who paid for it, it dosen't keep people from pirating it.

Casey :cat:

iconoclasty
02-29-2008, 12:15 PM
No licensing stops piracy. However, the dongle does give you the flexibility to install LW on as many computers as you wish. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not very easy to get Adobe's licensing scheme to work across multiple computers is it?

Lottmedia
02-29-2008, 01:26 PM
actually it's very easy to use Adobe on multiple computers. Their licensing allows you to install their software on a primary and secondary computer (i.e. a workstation and laptop) as long as they are not used at the same time. Just common sense, ONE person using it, you cannot install it on two workstartions for TWO people to use at the same time. (I beleieve when you start Photoshop, for example, it checks to see if that serial is in use elsewere on the network and will not start up if it finds it, thought I've never tested that to be sure) That's more than enough, for most honest use (now I'm sure someone will come in saying they use four diferent computers but come on, that's your problem) I'm all for security, but like I said, this is really just inconciencing the honest people.

Casey :cat:

iconoclasty
02-29-2008, 01:31 PM
it checks to see if that serial is in use elsewere on the network

That's scary. The more Adobe dives into my network the more worried I get. Thanks for the clarification though.

However, I don't think I'm out of the ordinary to use a program on my work workstation, home workstation, and laptop. If a dongle lets me do that and a software license doesn't, that's a win for the dongle in my opinion.

Steamthrower
02-29-2008, 01:32 PM
No, no, I absolutely hate Adobe's licensing. I like Newtek's licensing great. I just attach a ridiculously long USB adapter cable to the dongle. Helps me not lose it and keeps the dongle from breakage.

Once, before I had my USB adapter thing, I about had a heart attack when I thought I had left the thing in Baltimore. I couldn't find the thing for a week or so.

iconoclasty
02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
The only time I use mine outside of home or the office is in my laptop, and I usually have it plugged next to the receiver for my mouse so I don't have to be any more careful than normal.

meatycheesyboy
02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
I've always thought that laptop manufacturers should put a couple "hidden" USB ports in the bottom of a laptop. What I mean is that they should have a recessed part in the bottom of laptops with a side facing USB port (or 2) so that you could plug in things like dongles or USB storage and have them flush with the bottom of the laptop.

Does that make sense? If not, I'll do a quick mockup later tonight of what I mean, if it's necessary.

iconoclasty
02-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Totally know what you mean and I totally thought the same thing. You should still make a mockup though and send it to laptop manufacturers.

meatycheesyboy
02-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Totally know what you mean and I totally thought the same thing. You should still make a mockup though and send it to laptop manufacturers.

:thumbsup: Or you could just as easily.

iconoclasty
03-01-2008, 02:01 PM
What? Do you think I have some type of advanced software that would allow me to create multidimensional representations of fictitious products? I guess I could fire up MSPaint and give it a shot.

gthumbus
03-01-2008, 02:40 PM
called newtek yesterday. a replacment will be $200.00 if lost "fyi"

meatycheesyboy
03-01-2008, 05:03 PM
What? Do you think I have some type of advanced software that would allow me to create multidimensional representations of fictitious products? I guess I could fire up MSPaint and give it a shot.

Wait, you have MS Paint? I was just going to try to very carefully smear some mustard on the wall and hope my point would come across.

OK, I'm done derailing this thread. gthumbus, thanks for checking that price.

d1wojo
03-01-2008, 05:13 PM
My 5 year old took mine and we could not find it. It was $200 plus shipping for me. Ouch!!!!!!

iconoclasty
03-01-2008, 06:30 PM
That's the main reason I don't have kids.

jgbuffs
03-02-2008, 05:35 PM
with this dongle do you need it in the usb the whole time the app is running? or can you remove it after the app is started?

thanks

markschum
03-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Dongle needs to be in place while the software is running.

Many (some) insurance companies will cover computer software and anything like dongles.

Sarford
03-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Ok, I and many people have said it many times before but I'll do it one more time. Just to be sure, you never know if some NewTek security chief is reading and thinks Lottmedia's idea is a good one.

DON'T change your security system with the dongle NewTek, PLEASE!!
Always keep using this dongle security, its GREAT! It gives us flexability!
It is way better than an internet based registration, which realy HAMPERS honest people who work on more then two computers (Adobe, I'm looking at you!).

Verlon
03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering with regards to the dongle. If it gets damaged or lost do I get a replacement or do I have to buy one ?
Only wondering because of the speed I manage to lose things.

Thanks

Matt

:lightwave

Well I have learned to love the dongle. I wish I could get my WINDOWS license on one. For desktops, simply set up a USB hub inside the case...

I do feel for the laptop users.

My only qualm is that I wish the dongle didn't stick out so far. I wish there was some kind of "low profile" dongle, but there are so many laptop configurations that what is good for mine is bad for yours.

And as long as we are improving the dongle, why not add a little flash memory to the thing and make it possible to add config files to it so when I move the dongle, my configs go with it? That could border on convenient.

iconoclasty
03-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Dongle needs to be in place while the software is running.

Don't know if different dongle models differ (don't know how they could) but I can remove my dongle after LW is started. The program seems to only check the license at startup, not constantly.

jamesthiago
03-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Personally i find the dongle a real pain. If lightwave wasn't on the dongle I'd likely use it more. As it stands I am finding more and more that if the dongle is over in one of my other computers I'll do what I need to in another program.

So like the title says, I am lazy. Either that or too busy to chase a little key around. That will hopefully change with my next upgrade to a mac pro tower, as it will be my only workstation. Oh the things lightwave, the mac and I will do.

james

RudySchneider
03-09-2008, 06:33 PM
...if the dongle is over in one of my other computers I'll do what I need to in another program...

WOW, that really IS lazy, considering that you can load the LightWave applications on multiple computers and use just one dongle for each of them. I have three computers that I periodically use as a small render farm. Once I start Layout on one computer, I can remove the dongle to start Layout on the next, and so forth.

hrgiger
03-09-2008, 06:58 PM
FYI, if you ever need to upgrade your dongle, the last time I checked it was something like $25 to $30. I upgraded my parallel to the USB a few years back. Honestly, I don't know why everyone complains about the dongle. I put it on my computer and have forgotten it's there. Of course, on my new computer, I put it in the front of the machine so now I have this purple dongle sticking out at me. It's actually a little disturbing.

Titus
03-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I have this purple dongle sticking out at me. It's actually a little disturbing.

Mine is green, I like how it pimps my PC :D.

DiedonD
03-10-2008, 07:57 AM
I think theres this idea that dongles dont do well in llaptops. I have a great llaptop now, and the dongle does very good at it. Fcourse, the llaptop itself will NEVER leave the house to work outside, but thats another story.

Lottmedia
03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
I think theres this idea that dongles dont do well in llaptops. I have a great llaptop now, and the dongle does very good at it. Fcourse, the llaptop itself will NEVER leave the house to work outside, but thats another story.

I hope that's some kind of joke. If not, that's exactly the story. The dongle dosen't "work" it just is, it's the physical hinderance of the dongle that's the problem. Again, someone mentioned the low profile idea, which I said would at least be better. If I'm working on my tablet I don't want a dongle sticking out 2 inches waiting to be snapped off. I seriously don't understand you boys and your strange aversion to understanding just that. If you use yours at home only, that's great, this dosen't affect you. But chiming in like Sarford with derrogitory comments just because you in particular don't agree is juvenile. I don't want to damage my computer or dongle because the dongle is clumbersom. I travel a lot. If I'm flying from New York to LA I would like to get some work done on the long flight. The dongle makes that terribly inconvient and impractical. I'm tired of people thinking I'm crazy somehow because of that.

RudySchneider; I would really look into it because the situation you describe I think violates the licensing agreement.

Skonk
03-10-2008, 09:30 AM
called newtek yesterday. a replacment will be $200.00 if lost "fyi"

I was quoted 75 Euro's by Newtek Europe to replace a lost/stolen dongle. Altho this was for an educational license.

But converted to $'s its not that far off.

Sarford
03-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Their licensing allows you to install their software on a primary and secondary computer ... That's more than enough, for most honest use

(now I'm sure someone will come in saying they use four diferent computers but come on, that's your problem)

I'm all for security, but like I said, this is really just inconciencing the honest people.

But chiming in like Sarford with derrogitory comments just because you in particular don't agree is juvenile.

:thumbsup:

Wade
03-10-2008, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=Lottmedia] If I'm working on my tablet I don't want a dongle sticking out 2 inches waiting to be snapped off. QUOTE]

Start the program pull the dongle and put it away.

Haveing it on you key chain is not a bad way to do it. The thing travels well in a pocket from work to home and back again then on to clients and even on vactions.

Lottmedia
03-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Wow, I give up