PDA

View Full Version : RAM Limits

Epita
02-22-2003, 05:22 AM
Hey

What is the maximum ram that windows 98 SE will support. my motherboard goes up to 1.5 Gigs, which is what i want. Will 98 support this?

Epita

hrgiger
02-22-2003, 06:04 AM
A friend of mine who is in the I. T. field says that Win98 does recognize the extra RAM but I run Win98 (until Monday when my new system shows up) and I seem to get an awful lot of out of memory errors when I don't think I should. I have 640MB of RAM in mine and like I said, I get a lot of "not enough memory to perform this operation" or "not enough memory to load this program" sort of stuff. I'm hoping having XP pro will make a difference. If I can make a recommendation, I would recommend Win2000. I've used it before and never had problems with it.

lone
02-22-2003, 02:15 PM
HRGIGER - dude, you gettin' a DELL? go ahead, make us drool...

Extent
02-22-2003, 09:27 PM
IF your'e running Win98 you need to download a patch from microsoft to use any more than 512MB of ram, running without the patch causes problems (probably those out of mem errors you're getting hrgiger. NT based OSs don't have that issue.

hrgiger
02-23-2003, 12:44 AM
I guess not that it matters now since dude, I'm gettin a Dell on Monday but what is the name of that patch Extent? I wish I would have know that several months ago....:(

Epita
02-23-2003, 05:02 AM
yeah, any one know where to get that because my system is really screwd up. I cant even re-instal my soud card because its has just gone bottoms up! I also have a dell, but its not as powerfull and a sony laptop.

Epita

lone
02-23-2003, 06:43 AM
EXTENT - i was under the impression that this applied to WINME as well. it doesn't start until you pass 512, is that correct? i looked on MicroSoft's site, but couldn't find a patch.

Lynx3d
02-23-2003, 08:40 AM
The problem is not if Windows recognizes it or not, it can't handle it.
If there's one programm using a gig of RAM it might run fine, but if you have 10 applications using 100MB it screws up.
The only patch that will ever fix it is called Windows XP (or 2000) :D

The is a good reason why M$ decided to use NT technology for every OS now...
but am i talking, i guess nobody ever believed that until he tried himself.