PDA

View Full Version : Can I drop this habit now?

kopperdrake
02-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Since the year dot, I've been naming objects, textures and scenes with no spaces - I think it may have been something to do with screamernet way back, but my mind fogs with recollection.

For example, instead of "Box Blue v001.lwo" I use "Box_Blue_v001".

Can someone please enlighten me - can I stop this habit? It makes things look messy and I'd like for once to just use spaces :)

Jarno
02-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Spaces are still troublesome in expressions.

---JvdL---

paulhart
02-29-2008, 12:19 PM
The best rule for all issues of compatibility are as follows:
Alpha/numeric characters only;
Lowercase preferred except in particular programming languages that require specific Capitalization;
No funny characters (&^%$# etc.) including no space characters, these are all "reserved" by operating systems to define folders, drives, networks, addresses;
The Hyphen and the Underscore are your only "allowed" other characters.
Use them for readability, adopt a convention for naming and be consistent, I mis them using the - for small spaces and _ for bigger separations.
These rules will keep you out of trouble on cross platform file management, such as render farms, net development, and the like, and any code work you may ever do. It may look fine on your system, but we have no control over what servers our web pages go through on the web, and render farms mix OS boxes also. Using a space character will result in a %20 being inserted by some applications to represent the space character, and failure by others, to parse it correctly at all.
Paul

JeffrySG
02-29-2008, 12:19 PM
To play it save I almost never use space in any of my naming conventions... files, textures, layers, etc. I like to think that it's kind of geek-chic as well! ;) At least that's what I tell myself!

kopperdrake
02-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Well that's that then...I shall stick to my current regime. Crazy that computers and their software can still fall over because of a space!

thank_you_v001 ;)

paulhart
02-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Not so hard to do, just keep the habit going, less trouble. You and I can "see" a space character, but computers have to put something in 'there.' Sometimes when you open a web page and hover over an image you will see the name of the file something like this.... "http://www.mywebsite/images/cute%20pic&20of&20me.jpg"
instead of "http://www.mywebsite/images/cute pic of me.jpg"
Notice the use of "funny characters by the computer to indicate drives and folders, and the replacement of what were spaces by the %20 character. Computers are character driven, not visual like you and me.
Paul

JeffrySG
02-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Well that's that then...I shall stick to my current regime. Crazy that computers and their software can still fall over because of a space!

thank_you_v001 ;)
:agree: I_agree_that_it's_weird_that_we_still_have_to_do_t his_too---
But_better_safe_than_sorry---

Captain Obvious
03-01-2008, 09:54 AM
I like using underscores, because they're "longer" than just plain spaces. Ie, if I have the material "metal_painted_red," it's easier to distinguish between the different "tags" than with just "metal painted red".

iconoclasty
03-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I keep all my file names under 8 characters also, in case I use DOS in my workflow.

Exception
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I only use 1's and 0's in case I have to manually program the cpu.

Captain Obvious
03-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I do all my modeling with a dip switch!

kopperdrake
03-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I can't do it - I can't use sarchasm on the web, I'll get into trouble for it...

JeffrySG
03-01-2008, 10:52 PM
I get my best modeling done with silly putty these days.... but my best models always seem to melt away over night... ;)

kopperdrake
03-02-2008, 05:35 AM
You should use fimo, make and bake, a *real* solid modeller.

mrpapabeis
03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
MyNamingConventionLooksSomethingLikeThis.