PDA

View Full Version : node diffuse falloff

Andyjaggy
02-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Here is what I am trying to do, it sounds so simple but I can't seem to get it to work.

I have an image that I want to use in the diffuse channel. However I want the effect this image has on the diffuse value to fade as it gets near the camera so that close to the camera the diffuse is just a solid 100% while further from the camera the image start to control the diffuse.

I tried a distance to camera gradient as an alpha to the image map but couldn't seem to get it to work.

Anyone care to post a node setup to solve my problem :D

MooseDog
02-29-2008, 08:47 AM
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Distance_Nodes.mov

some good ideas here hopefully.

RollerJesus
02-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Wouldn't you want to use a distance to camera gradient to control the diffuse?

evenflcw
02-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Mind you the distance gradient settings are buggy in the surface layer editor. Atleast when it comes to displacements, but should not be limited to that, they don't evaluate right under some circumstances. I think you should have no problem like that using nodes.

Andyjaggy
02-29-2008, 10:38 AM
I did notice when I was setting up a distnace gradient using the scalar layer node that the distances all seemed off. They weren't lining up with the real world distances in my scene.

RollerJesus
02-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Can you precalculate the distance, and just use that as a scalar?

Medi8or
03-03-2008, 06:40 AM
I did notice when I was setting up a distnace gradient using the scalar layer node that the distances all seemed off. They weren't lining up with the real world distances in my scene.Stupid question, but did you use world coordinates? If not, parenting and such tend to mess things up..

Andyjaggy
03-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I did have some stuff parented. Not sure which coordinate system I was using. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.