PDA

View Full Version : VT [5] to Apple Final Cut Pro

andersonl
02-29-2008, 05:29 AM
We're new to the VT[5] and Tricaster world. I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best practice for live recording on the VT[5], then later conversion over to the Mac environment for editing on FCP or iMovie.

We're really pleased with NewTek's products having bought both a TriCaster and VT[5] for our production work. Now we just have to integrate it into our downstream workflow! Oh, and we can't replace our Macs with PCs - we don't have the kind of money.

Lyle
New Castle Community Television

SBowie
02-29-2008, 06:18 AM
I don't have FCP, but had occasion to test directly loading a DV-AVI from a TriCaster Studio into iMovie earlier this week. It worked just fine. It's hard to imagine that FCP would be less capable ....

andersonl
02-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Thanks Steve. I'll give it a try.

CreatvGnius
02-29-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't have FCP, but had occasion to test directly loading a DV-AVI from a TriCaster Studio into iMovie earlier this week. It worked just fine. It's hard to imagine that FCP would be less capable ....

But that "DV-AVI" can only be derived from a post-production scenario with TriCaster, correct, Steve? IOW, one cannot record live to an external hard disk, in the DV-AVI format, for fast availability in a Mac environment -- at least not at this stage of the TriCaster™ technology development, correct?

How I wish we could have this option.
-PeterG

SBowie
02-29-2008, 10:45 AM
But that "DV-AVI" can only be derived from a post-production scenario with TriCaster, correct, Steve?-PeterGTrue, but the original question didn't as that.

How I wish we could have this option.-PeterGI think *that* answer is not far off.

tmon
03-03-2008, 05:16 PM
We use uncompressed AVI's across our VT5's and FCP workstations.

Seems like the only flavor that works in FCP is BGR24.

lvsoule
03-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I use video captured on the VT to put in FCP all the time. I use DVType1. I also believe the new .mov files will work as well, but I will have to double check.

CreatvGnius
03-22-2008, 04:38 PM
I use video captured on the VT to put in FCP all the time. I use DVType1. I also believe the new .mov files will work as well, but I will have to double check.

We're still using VT[4] version 4.6 -- but are those "new .mov" files of which you speak, lvsoule -- now among the file output options with SpeedEDIT-VT?
-PeterG

lvsoule
03-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Yes the .mov are on the VT5 only, the 4.6 did not have them. in VT4.6 I just use DVtype1. It seems that type 1 works better than type 2 and I can't remember why. Beware in VT5 when trying to capture the .mov, it doesn't work too great. It's better to capture NT25 then convert to .mov. Do you have the mac and PC network? If not I could probably help- I've finally figured out how to get it to work well
-Larry

CreatvGnius
03-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Yes the .mov are on the VT5 only, the 4.6 did not have them. in VT4.6 I just use DVtype1. It seems that type 1 works better than type 2 and I can't remember why. Beware in VT5 when trying to capture the .mov, it doesn't work too great. It's better to capture NT25 then convert to .mov. Do you have the mac and PC network? If not I could probably help- I've finally figured out how to get it to work well
-Larry Thanks for that reply, Larry. We're still on VT[4] version 4.6, and have plans on upgrading our host PC for installation of VT[5]. We don't own Macs anymore, but it's conceivable that we'll have to interface others' workflow with ours, hence the desire to learn more about file distribution between VT and Mac-based systems.

Would really appreciate your posting a quick tutorial to this thread, as we believe others will most certainly benefit from what you've "figured out". :hey:
Thanks for anything you care to share in that regard. So what have you come up with?
-PeterG

lvsoule
03-23-2008, 08:36 PM
The .mov from the toaster works in FCP, but its the same case as with DVtype1, it requires an render first. FCP puts the red line above it so that it can see it right off.

What I've done is I run the windows and I use the Shared Documents folder with fully shared capabilities on the network. I don't let any of my HD's be shared. You just right click and go to sharing and share across network. Then on the mac you click on any Hardrive then click networks in the top left corner(looks like a planet) it will show a list of everything on the network. Double click the Windows network whatever its named then the shared docs folder then it wants a password- mines not set then you pick the folder. Last it will put that folder on the desktop of the mac. anything in that folder is now networked. I have never successfully been able to see the mac from the PC side yet. But I can see the PC on my mac no problem.

I can't give up my toaster and I can't give up my Macs. I like DVDSP 4 for DVD authoring. I build a lot of things on the Toaster and then author them in DVDSP on the Mac.

CreatvGnius
03-23-2008, 10:12 PM
The .mov from the toaster works in FCP, but its the same case as with DVtype1, it requires an render first. FCP puts the red line above it so that it can see it right off.

I can't give up my toaster and I can't give up my Macs. I like DVDSP 4 for DVD authoring. I build a lot of things on the Toaster and then author them in DVDSP on the Mac.
"DVDSP4"? :stumped: Wahzzzat? Oh! OK, you're likely referring to "DVD Studio Pro 4" (my educated guess). Remember, I'm a neophyte when it comes to modern Mac speak -- a noobie, by today's Mac standards, so respond as if I don't know Mac technology much at all, if you can.

For us "newer-Mac" neophytes, tell us:
What do you mean "the red line"? Where is it found, and what is it for, precisely? Is this something which shows up in a particular version of Final Cut Pro?
-PeterG

lvsoule
03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Yes it is DVD Studio Pro. Also the red line shows up when videos are not favored by Final Cut Pro. It doesn't mean they won't play, it means that FCP needs to think about them first b4 editing them. If you don't "Apple-R" then they won't play correctly. Apple-R takes them and and makes them into something FCP likes. It typically only takes about 1/4 of the length of the video. So a 10 minute video takes about 2 to 2.5 minutes to render usable. It's similar to VT4.6 or VT5's conforming I suppose.

hairudon
04-01-2008, 07:13 AM
i stick with raw .dv to and from VT5 to final cut, did the same with 4.6

CreatvGnius
04-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Apple-R [keyboard shortcut in Apple Final Cut Pro]takes [these foreign media files and transcodes] them into something FCP likes. It typically only takes about 1/4 of the length of the video. So a 10 minute video takes about 2 to 2.5 minutes to render usable. It's similar to VT4.6 or VT5's conforming I suppose.

I would suppose that's not similar to the "conforming" you see in the VT-EDIT or SpeedEDIT timeline, because the conforming here, is actually the editor evaluating the audio, and thereby drawing the waveform out. At least that's what I've been led to believe by others in these forums.

On the other hand, you've provided a good deal of useful info, here Larry, for which a number of us are likely grateful.
:beerchug:
-PeterG

hairudon
04-03-2008, 06:37 AM
it means that FCP needs to think about them first b4 editing them. If you don't "Apple-R" then they won't play correctly. Apple-R takes them and and makes them into something FCP likes. It typically only takes about 1/4 of the length of the video. So a 10 minute video takes about 2 to 2.5 minutes to render usable. It's similar to VT4.6 or VT5's conforming I suppose.

but you have to re-render after every edit, or is it different from FCE in that way?