PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on a good Headset!

prometheus
02-29-2008, 03:52 AM
hi!

I will start to do videotutes soon hopefully, but my mic on the table doesn´t cut it anymore, so I would like to buy a headset, I would like to hear from someone about a good headset that gives good sound quality for a decent price.
Can anyone recomend a model?

Willam v.. your voice sounds pleasant, so any hint? and if it has the ability to
convert swedish chief english that would be a bonus:)

safetyman
02-29-2008, 05:42 AM
I currently have a Logitech USB headset. It has a 3-setting switch that is for music, voice recording, and games (voice chat). Not sure if it will meet your needs, but it works great for me. Got it at Dell for around $44 and it arrived at my door in 2 days.

Steamthrower
02-29-2008, 06:33 AM
I usually use a mixer and condenser mic setup to record (overkill I know) but I happened to have won a Creative Fatality headset at a regional LAN party last year*. The sound quality is surprisingly good for a LAN party headset (retail $70).

4th place in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

CreatvGnius
02-29-2008, 10:27 AM
hi!

I will start to do videotutes soon hopefully, but my mic on the table doesn´t cut it anymore, so I would like to buy a headset, I would like to hear from someone about a good headset that gives good sound quality for a decent price.
Can anyone recomend a model?

Willam v.. your voice sounds pleasant, so any hint? and if it has the ability to
convert swedish chief english that would be a bonus:)

Don't give up on a desk style mic just yet: Want a great USB condenser mic at a terrific price (you can use on the table or on a boom stand)? Get a close look at the acclaimed Audio-Technica AT-2020, and thank me later.
http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemSearch--search-USB-Condenser-mic--srcin-1
If you're still determined to go for a headset mic, then look up Audio-Technica's offerings, or those from Samson -- if you're looking for cost-effective options with decent sound quality. www.americanmusical.com search: headset mic
-PeterG

nemac4
02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
These are great with the noise cancelling. I have a very loud PC and these headsets do a nice job of filtering out the noise and they are comfortable.

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat6180048/cat6180052/prod5870018

CreatvGnius
02-29-2008, 12:54 PM
These are great with the noise cancelling. I have a very loud PC and these headsets do a nice job of filtering out the noise and they are comfortable.

http://www.plantronics.com/north_america/en_US/products/cat6180048/cat6180052/prod5870018
Yikes. Better to silence the ambient noise in the room, or at least, set up a sound-deadening barrier -- than to rely on noise-cancellation techniques inside of a mic/headset combo. You don't want to ruin the integrity of the spoken voice if you don't have to.

Tip: Place some large, but acoustically dense floor pillows around your host PC, creating an acoustic sound barrier -- but still allowing for adequate air-flow into the front and out the back.

You'll be amazed at how much you might reduce that noise level before it arrives at your microphone. Then, notice how much quieter the noise-floor is, within your mic/headset's electronics, once you switched the noise cancellation feature off (if that's at all possible). :hey:
-PeterG

Silkrooster
02-29-2008, 02:57 PM
When looking at headsets, check out the mike boom. I have a cheap headset and the boom is always rubbing the side of my face. Not only annoying, but could end up in your recording, especially if the mic volume is set high enough.
Silk

Hopper
02-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Don't give up on a desk style mic just yet: Want a great USB condenser mic at a terrific price (you can use on the table or on a boom stand)? Get a close look at the acclaimed Audio-Technica AT-2020, and thank me later.
He's not joking.. I use Sure and AT exclusively for recording. I use the AT-3035 sometimes for voice and it's excellent. And like Inigo said, it's a bit overkill, but if you want a high quality recording, this is one way to do it.

- note: most of these mics need 48v phantom preamp power

prometheus
03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks Everybody for all the tips and hints..I will have to check all things up before I will make up my mind.