PDA

View Full Version : New user of Lightwave

mykyl
02-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi,

I am new to Lightwave as a user although I have sat and watched many videos and read lightwave tutorials in the past. :D

I just bought Essential Lightwave V9 book and am currently going through that to get my head around the different interface to what I was previously used to.

Are there any other recommendations you guys could pass my way?

I plan on getting up to speed a.s.a.p. :)

Cheers

Mike R

BigHache
02-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Dan Alblan does a great job with his books so you have a nice resource there. I would suggest maybe finding an image of something you like and try to model, texture, and render it. Jumping in is the best way to go... and ask questions. :)

sntorres
02-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Also check out this site for great step by step tutorials: http://robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/LightwaveTuts/LWTutSet.html

sntorres
02-28-2008, 10:47 AM
One more thing, all the tutorial links are on the left side menu.

mykyl
02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the support folks.

Cheers

Mike R

JeffrySG
02-28-2008, 04:39 PM
If you're new to LW, I'd also recommend getting Inside Lightwave 9, there are tons of great videos there too. I have that one and ES9 and I'm glad I bought them both. Then I would just try to do as many tutorials as you can!

BigHache
03-01-2008, 06:51 PM
If you're new to LW, I'd also recommend getting Inside Lightwave 9, there are tons of great videos there too. I have that one and ES9 and I'm glad I bought them both. Then I would just try to do as many tutorials as you can!
Whoops, I read "Essential Lightwave" as "Inside Lightwave". Both good.

mykyl
03-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Not a problem. I have one of Dans books for another app that I own. I think I have grasped the basics now although I am still confused with the separate modeler and layout. :) I keep trying to do a test render within modeler.

Although I am not sure if I will use modeler to create my base models all the time I do want to understand how it works and where everything is.

Cheers

Mike R

BigHache
03-04-2008, 12:23 AM
My favorite part of the LW GUI: text buttons! How awesome is that?!?