PDA

View Full Version : Designing a buliding

pdp editor
02-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Is there a step by step tutorial on how to create a building in modeler. I recently purchased LWCAD however the online help is pretty crude and useless to someone new to LW and LWCAD. Here is a image of what I trying to design. Is this possible for a newbie? Is there a book I can buy for LWCAD. Problem is the documentation for LWCAD is very weak.

Giacomo99
02-28-2008, 09:14 AM
First off-- the drawing you attached is a schematic, not a blueprint (notice it says "no scale" in the lower left.) So if you're going to use that as a backdrop, it might not look like the actual building.

With sufficient patience, one might be able to build a complex building in LWCAD, but my view is that it's a pretty limited piece of software. There exist several architectural software packages (Form Z, ArchiCAD, etc.) that would be much better suited for the job than LWCAD is.

manproof
02-28-2008, 09:17 AM
I would start by using the EPSF loader. Import the floor plan as vector art, and then start building components. Extrude the walls using the numeric panel to match the specified height, etc.

Someone else may chime in on LWCAD; I don't use it. There is also a separate section for Architecture and Visualization that may have some good reading for you.

Good luck.

geothefaust
02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
There are a number of tutorial videos on the W-Tools site, and some of them do show a building being made.

No offense meant, but I feel that LWCAD is pretty straight forward to use. I haven't had any problems with it. Try messing around with it for a little while. I think it'll come to you. It's more of a boolean type approach, so keep that in mind. And, always keep your numerical panel open when you use it, so you can see what mode you are in for each tool. (Additive, subtractive, etc..)

I'd say give it a go for a while, see what you come up with. :)

Stjepanovic
02-28-2008, 10:35 AM
easy. you can either import DXF (LWCAD) or transfer orginal file into OBJ & imposrt it via regular importer.
Then make sure lines are conected properly or retrace them logically with available tools such polyline (LWCAD) and/or offset it (LWCAD). You can also use Wall tool.Since your design looks like a sendwich building you need only elelvations and a height of the ceiling to extrude; and kaboom you're done. Of course detailing window frames, saches, Door frames and knobs will take some extra time but you will have a basic model pretty fast. Also, you can crate a stndard door and window frame and glazing for the LWCAD library. Then it only takes a click to punch out a door or a window through wall. Good luck

hrgiger
02-28-2008, 06:41 PM
LWCAD is more then sufficient to do the job. Have you looked at this tutorial on the WTools website? http://www.wtools3d.com/pdf/stylized_house.pdf It will show you how to create the walls and extrude them to form the building floors.

RollerJesus
02-28-2008, 06:45 PM
This tutorial basically walks you through exactly what you want to do.

http://www.wtools3d.com/pdf/tutorial_002.pdf

I agree with grgiger here in that LWCAD and LW are more than sufficient to do the job. Quickly, as well.

colkai
02-29-2008, 02:31 AM
I have FloorPlan3D which, in theory, makes it a doddle to do this sort of thing.
Yet, I always fire up LW and use LWCAD, I find it much tidier and indeed, quicker.

prometheus
02-29-2008, 03:35 AM
asilefx has lw cad tutes aswell, donīt know how good they are thou.
http://www.asilefx.com/product.php?ProductCategoryID=19&ProductID=92