PDA

View Full Version : XP 64 on Bootcamp - so far so okay...

kopperdrake
02-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Just an update - I'm in the process of installing XP Pro 64bit on my 8 month old Mac Pro under Leopard. I have a seperate hard drive for Windows, which makes it 'safer' in my head, whether that's true is another thing entirely but it helps me sleep safe :) I formatted as NTFS - to be honest Bootcamp didn't give me the option and I'm not bothered about sharing files between the two as I use a FAT32 formatted Freecom NAS drive for all of my working files, which means the PC is for apps only.

Drivers have gone okay so far - esentially, running bootcamp from the utilities folder on the Mac gets you a vanilla installation of XP 64 Pro. The drivers for the network card I got from here:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=581&DwnldID=8719&strOSs=109&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional %20x64%20Edition&lang=eng

Then came the drivers for the Ati x1900 - I got them from here:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp64/radeonx-xp64

You only need the top one. Saying that, I do get an error on boot, guess the PC's calling for something that's missing but it doesn't stop the machine from working. I can't call up the Catalyst controls so I assume it's something to do with that. I've got it running on a dual monitor set up without a hitch though - just extend the desktop to the second monitor :)

Now I'm in the process of installing all of the security updates - not sure if I should or shouldn't but we'll see. I only went to the MS Update Site to get the sound drivers - I've downloaded something which may or may not be them but until I reboot I don't know if they've done the trick.

Once sound is working I'll post here what I did and where I got it from.

Oh - this is all from an OEM version of XP 64 Pro.

kopperdrake
02-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Okay - I just logged into Windows Update and let it churn through all of the suggested installs, one of which was a sound driver, and it all went smoothly. The I went here to get the Realtek stuff:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

and now sound works fine.

Also got Synergy working for my mouse and keyboard, I share it across 3 machines, one mac mini, one pure PC, and this Mac Pro is the server for synergy. I gave the Mac Pro the same fixed IP address on the network, whether it's booted as a Mac or a PC, as I found the most reliable method for identifying the server in Synergy is via the IP address of it - naming got a bit confusing on the Mac side. Having said that, Synergy client for the Mac has proved a bit of a pain to get right.

Oh - the only reason I'm writing this up is someone wanted to know how it all went once I'd installed XP 64 Pro on an Intel Mac Pro, and if I do it as I go along I won't forget any links :)

kopperdrake
02-28-2008, 09:32 AM
I keep my LightWave configs all wrapped up nicely in the LW install folder so I can move things around as I need.

Just copied my old 32bit 9.3.1 LightWave install from my older PC into its new home, works great (after installing Sentinel drivers). That'll be used for any 32bit projects, mainly anything with Vue in as I have the 32bit version.

On to downloading LightWave 64 bit - the whole reason for this :D And it's all taken less then 5 hours so far...

___mats___
02-28-2008, 11:57 PM
ok

kopperdrake
02-29-2008, 11:28 AM
I only mentioned it as someone wanted to know how easy the process was once I'd done it.

But hey, you didn't have to read it, and I guess I didn't have to write it :P

xav
02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Thx for this post Kopperdrake. Don't now for the others, but it was very instructing for me.

xav

monovich
02-29-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll have my eye on this thread when I upgrade my system. thanks for the info.

___mats___
02-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I only mentioned it as someone wanted to know how easy the process was once I'd done it.

But hey, you didn't have to read it, and I guess I didn't have to write it :P

ok

arsad
02-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Thx, one question though.
Currently we are running LW on several macPros under bootcamp and WinXP32. Machines with more than 2 giga of ram won't see more than 2 giga. Would it help to install WinXp64?

kopperdrake
03-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Yep - I can see all my 5Gb now, it's the only reason I installed XP 64, indeed, the only reason I've installed Windows full stop. I need a reliable 64 bit LW install working with FPrime, HD Instance and Vue Xstream and I'm not convinced UB is there yet, though as soon as it is I'll be jumping over to Leopard. Every other bit of software is on the Mac though.

Forgive me if you're aware though but you'd need to install LW 64 bit to make use of all the RAM ( I always assume people are as daft as me ;) ).

Another thing to mention - when you install the ATI Catalyst drivers, choose custom and only tick the drivers themselves to install...the Catalyst Control Center seems to cause some problems so I just run without the Centre installed.

Also, if you have a dual screen set up you may not get your main screen as the screen Windows thinks is the main one. It kept assuming my small 17" screen was my main one so the start menu was always on it, to the right of my main 24" screen. To get the correct monitor as 'monitor 1' just boot into windows with only your main screen physically plugged into your Mac, then once Windows has booted, plug your secondary screen in and tell Windows to extend the desktop to that screen.

There are things to bear in mind that don't work, if there are ways around I can't find them yet or I don't have need to make them work.

1) Disk eject needs to be done from in windows, the keyboard's not mapped correctly in XP64. Same goes for the volume controls.

2) I believe there's limited bluetooth support and I'm not sure about airport - I don't run bluetooth or wireless on this Mac, preferring hard wires.

arsad
03-01-2008, 12:00 PM
thx again for all the infos! For me it was just a bit frustrating working on a shiny new MacPro 8core with only 2 gigs visible. I'll try to convince them to change the system to win64.
(at least LW32 can use whole 2 gigs under win64 and the rest is for the system or other applications)
LW64 is not possible cause not all the plugins will work!

kopperdrake
03-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Have both 32 and 64 bit Lightwave installed on your Mac Pro running XP Pro 64 - I do :) Just have different directories and use the version you need to use for that job.

dOMINUS
04-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey thank you for all that info.

I'm planning to buy LW and now I'm not so scared anymore to install Leopard and XP 64 PRO (Bootcap) on my Mac.

Especially the necessary drivers gave me a headache, but you've provided links, so no problem anymore.

This is the most usefull thread regarding this topic I have found on the whole internet so far.

Thanks ! A million :beerchug: to you (don't get tto drunk)!!!

dOMINUS
04-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Bah,

Installed Leopard yesterday and updated it : all OK.

Tried to install XP 64 PRO 2nd edtion today and XP installed fine but I can not boot into OSX anymore. :bangwall:
Somehow Bootcamp messed up my Mac so that booting with alt-key pressed results in me being required to enter a 'firmware password', which I did not have set up in the first place, so I don't have a firmware password to enter :tsktsk:.

Called AppleCare and got the advise to bring my Mac to an authorized Aplle Service reseller.:cursin:

Ah well, life goes on I guess, haha ...