PDA

View Full Version : How To Morph With More Geometry?

evolross
02-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Since morph maps use the same number of vertexes as your model, what is the approach if you want to have a smooth morph in your scene that simply has to use more definition (vertexes) than what is in your original model? Model swapping?

If you have a morph that needs less definition, you could move your vertexes in such a way to create a simpler shape, right?

My apologies, I'm sure this is a common question that has probably been asked before.

SplineGod
02-28-2008, 03:38 AM
You should be able to save out your morph mix project from the low rez version and reload it onto the high rez version.

Surrealist.
02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
What kind of detal are we talking here? And where? There are a lot of ways to do this and one of them is with displacement maps which could be controlled over time.

There is no way for the current model to morph into a higher resolution version. But there is no reason you can not model a high res version that morphs from less to more detail. The detal has to be there in the base mesh.

A very simple idea of what I am talking about is a square polygon could be segmented and then detailed shape mophed out of it.

But this could be done with a displacement map on a subpach mesh too and you would have control over the detail with the APS system in Layout.

So it really depands on what you want to do, how exactly you need the shape to change.

evolross
02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
This is my scenario - I want to have a subpatch head (that just looks normal) morph into a head with horns, fangs, swells and stuff like that. So I would have a simple mesh that is the normal looking head, but then my mesh with all the features would be more complex. I want to smoothly morph between the two.

So far I haven't attempted to do any of the features using ZBrush style displacement. I didn't think to go this route because once the head morphs into the feature-laden head, I want it to do some morphs with the mouth and eyes, basically I still need to do some light animation.

Surrealist.
02-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I would consider then, using mutiple techniques on each portion of the overall effect you are trying to create. Bones, morphs, displacements ( that work set to last) and even possibly hypervoxels. Also looking to some plugins such as fertilizer. A combination of many things will probably be what it takes.

Finally conisder using mutiple shots instead of all in one shot.

martin.s
02-29-2008, 09:28 AM
"Zbrush type" displacement would be the easiest way. To animate the growth you would key the application of the displacement texture, either in opacity or in the node set up. You could even constrain the subdivision level with a texure map in the "render sub patch, per polygon" area.

sooooo...normal model with "good" poly flow set up for animation.

check

decide on the polygons that will sprout the horn.

for them, set up an image map or weight map, high/white for high poly subdivision and low/black for low poly normal subdivision.

Good luck