PDA

View Full Version : layout newbie with problem.

burn0ut
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
hey, you guys,
I'm pretty new te lightwave, well, pretty new to the whole 3d scene.
I just started a model, and it's turning out pretty good.
A friend of mine wanted to see how far along it was, so i thought i'd render it in layout.
but i can't see al that much. The backgrounds all dark, and so i can't even rate my own work, let alone send it to someone else.
I know it's a pretty stupid thing to ask, and there are probably like 3 million tutorials about this problem, but please help.

Thanks in advance

PointC
02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
What sort of lights are you using on it?

burn0ut
02-27-2008, 02:11 PM
just the standard light. It's in the back of the object, but whatever I do, there's the same amount of light on it, I even tried putting the light behin my model, but nothing worked, nothing even changed.
why can't you just say, "well i want this here background behind it" and it's there. would have been much easier.

medicalart
02-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Rotate the light. You can add lights if you have to, but put a Distant light near your camera and rotate it so it faces your object. You can check the position from your Top viewport. Or select Light view, and make sure your object appears.

iconoclasty
02-27-2008, 02:28 PM
And turn on autokeyframe or your light will jump back to position when you render.

Lew
02-27-2008, 02:28 PM
By the way, go to backdrop and choose a color other than black, might give your model a little more contrast.

burn0ut
02-27-2008, 02:29 PM
what do you mean with a distant light near my camera?
is distant light, some sort of setting for the light? how would i do that?

burn0ut
02-27-2008, 02:36 PM
didn't know about the backdrop, it worked though. thanks a million.
just proves my newbieness, well, i'm off, back to work.

medicalart
02-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Distant light is a type of light. When you have your light selected, hit the "p" key (properties). The window has all the attributes you can adjust. Whenever I can't see something, it's usually because the light is rotated the wrong way.

Mr Maze
02-27-2008, 03:13 PM
I have to say the best way to figure this problem out is to use the help menu or consult the manual. It is kinda hard for us to help you solve this when you haven't learned what types of lights are available to use in LW, or how to change them. On the Newtek site there are a bunch of great videos and html tutorials that explain lighting basics...

barahn
03-03-2008, 06:33 PM
What if your back ground is supposed to be a sky with a sun? When I render a test frame, it's there. When I save a targa 32, the sky and the sun is gone.
Thanks.

Silkrooster
03-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Because you saved it as a tga 32 instead of tga 24. The extra 8 bits is the alpha channel.
Silk

barahn
03-03-2008, 06:59 PM
You know it's the little things in life that can trip you up the most sometimes. That's all it was. I'll remember that forever. Thanks.