PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to project splines onto a dense mesh

vincent1
02-27-2008, 12:48 AM
HI,

I'm looking for a way to project a closed spline (say a closed circle spline with four vertices) onto the surface of a roundish dense mesh that is on a background layer.

I'm pretty good at constructing a model cage using splines. I'm just looking for a way to add fine holes and doors, etc using splines.

I know I can cut doors on the polygonal model using stencil or drill. I prefer using splines for finer control over mesh generation when patching later.

Thanks for any pointers.
Vincent

SplineGod
02-27-2008, 01:14 AM
You can use the solid drill tool to stencil a part and then select points from that a create a spline. You can also create a spline and use something like BGconform, KOpointfit, etc to conform a spline to a background object.

vincent1
02-27-2008, 02:19 AM
HI, thanks for the pointer. BGconform worked reasonably well if not terribly accurate.

Do you know if easyspline has a curve projection to surface capability?

If it does, it sounds like what I looking for. Its Auto patching video looks really useable and attractive as I find patching small areas at a time is really no fun.

I learned NURBS modeling a month ago, so Lightwave's need to have only 3 or 4 spline cages to patch properly is quite a setback for me and requires extensive polygonal point dragging after patching to achieve any resemblance of tangentcy.

However, I am quite fond of my Lightwave so I would like to stick with it for a while to see how far I can take its spline modeling tools.

Sensei
03-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Do you know if easyspline has a curve projection to surface capability?

Not yet, but it will because we have our own tool called Push http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/Push (so it's just a matter of modifing Spline Point tool to use Push code)
It's casting all selected geometry from foreground to background layer geometry in real-time also with offsetting (which you can see on video) - projected geometry can be slided on bg layer surface until getting desired appearance.

If you would take TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
You would get both EasySpline & Push, and could use them together for exactly what you want - projecting splines to surface.