PDA

View Full Version : CPU up 90% in VT5 idel

ottis41
02-26-2008, 08:51 PM
OK I cant belive this project has given met fits like thios! Now my VT5 is Ideling at 50 to 55% CPU on both CPUs my RAM at 248 for VT5 and 145 for WINRTIME Yikes... so just idel my proccessors are at 70% and 618 RAM and when i play back a a DDR i slam my proc's to 90 to100% and thats just playing a clip no effects not keys no nothing.
No Wonder when i try to play a DDR with a virtual set and record i am getting studders.
Is everyones proccessors running this high?

I have 2 gigs RAM and a dual Xeon 3.06 procs in a Dell XPS650..
I need to finish this project and my system seems to be bogging me down

Any thoughts?

ottis41
02-27-2008, 07:39 PM
I canít believe this, i am in the middle of a project i am dying in the water, now i am playing a DVCAM tape into the VT switch with a virtual set, and i get pops and stutters because the system canít handle capturing a fire wire with a virtual set? it.. What is it doing to take up all the processing power?
Am i the only one having this problem? This is making me want to through this system out the window!
I have a total of 30 processes running, nothing that is not needed, but VT5.exe is slamming the system.
Any help before I lose what little hair I have left trying to finish this projectÖ.
:devil:

SBowie
02-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Why not just do the obvious thing, and bring the DVCAM taped material onto the HD, then run it from a DDR?

bbeanan
02-28-2008, 08:10 AM
it has to be something with you system config. I just finished an identical project... I have a live cam coming in YUV doing a virtual set, with a DDR playing a TV monitor video and a DSK title block.... WHILE running SpeedEdit which was background rendering on desktop 2. (I was shooting interviews as they came in and them adding them to the video edit I was working on for a TV show that went to air 4 hours later)

My system is only a dual AMD Opteron 1.8 ghz with 2gb RAM. So it has to be something within your system

SBowie
02-28-2008, 08:29 AM
I have a live cam coming in YUV ... I agree this system seems to be 'troubled', but a live analog camera may be a different animal than attempting to do the same thing with an IEEE 1394 source.

CreatvGnius
02-28-2008, 07:34 PM
it has to be something with you system config. I just finished an identical project... I have a live cam coming in YUV doing a virtual set, with a DDR playing a TV monitor video and a DSK title block.... WHILE running SpeedEdit which was background rendering on desktop 2. (I was shooting interviews as they came in and them adding them to the video edit I was working on for a TV show that went to air 4 hours later)

My system is only a dual AMD Opteron 1.8 ghz with 2gb RAM. So it has to be something within your system

How fast is your system buss, there, Brett?

(I'm wondering if Otis is running only a 533MHz Front-side Buss motherboard system)
-PeterG

SBowie
02-28-2008, 08:44 PM
A 533mHz system isn't recommended, but a LiveSet running from a single live analog stream with the rest coming from the HD wouldn't choke it (nor would two live analog sources.) I can say that confidently.

DV input raises other issues though.

ottis41
02-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Yes it seems to be the system; I went to another system at my work that is a quad core with 4 gig RAM, event at 4 cores it was only using 16% CPU and 450MB RAM doing the same DVCAM in and a virtual set recording to hard drive. (Which should be a no brainer for VT) SO something is up with my system.
I also tried the Capture then play a DDR through the switcher, but it crashed.
Now i did get the system at work to work and get the Job done, but not without problems, it crashed 6 or 7 times. Just dropped the app and went to the send error screen. I still got some audio popping on some clips.
It was frustrating; i never had these types of problems with the VT not event back at VT3. ( but then we never had virtual sets ether.)
I do feel better that i will be able to finish the project with matching virtual sets/audio and color, but before i start another one in VT5, i am doing some serious over haul of my system, event the one at work was faulting, i am thinking a service pach or version upgrade might be in order from NewTek.

Thank you all for your input

SBowie
02-29-2008, 06:22 AM
I've got VT[5] running on two different boxes here, one being nothing more than an older single P4 with a gig of RAM. I have no significant problems with instability on either system, though I wouldn't dream of doing a live switching gig with it (were I so inclined, which I am not :p ) ... so this does suggest some other system-specific issue.

CreatvGnius
02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
I've got VT[5] running on two different boxes here, one being nothing more than an older single P4 with a gig of RAM. I have no significant problems with instability on either system, though I wouldn't dream of doing a live switching gig with it (were I so inclined, which I am not :p ) ... so this does suggest some other system-specific issue.
What's the FSB speed of your host PCs Steve? Especially the one with only 1 Gig and a single P4?

Check your private message from me, too, eh?:D
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
02-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I canít believe this, i am in the middle of a project i am dying in the water, now i am playing a DVCAM tape into the VT switch with a virtual set, and i get pops and stutters because the system canít handle capturing a fire wire with a virtual set? it.. What is it doing to take up all the processing power?
Am i the only one having this problem? This is making me want to through this system out the window!
I have a total of 30 processes running, nothing that is not needed, but VT5.exe is slamming the system.
Any help before I lose what little hair I have left trying to finish this projectÖ.
:devil:

Got time to post the names of each of those 30 some-odd processes you've got running, ottis? Perhaps a screen grab revealing all 30 if you can?

Would appreciate it! I'd like to compare to what I've got running in the background here, with VT[4]. Also, I trust you're running Windows XP PRO service pack 2, right?
-PeterG

SBowie
02-29-2008, 01:32 PM
The FSB on the old older one 800mHz FSB, with DDR clocked at 400 (took me ten minutes to save all my open docs, shut down and reboot to figure that out. can't recall the last time this thing was turned off!)

CreatvGnius
02-29-2008, 01:46 PM
The FSB on the old older one 800mHz FSB, with DDR clocked at 400 (took me ten minutes to save all my open docs, shut down and reboot to figure that out. can't recall the last time this thing was turned off!) 'Bet that 800 makes a difference!
-PeterG
p.s. Email sent to you already, Steve...:D

SBowie
02-29-2008, 01:53 PM
possibly a factor, but decoding DV in realtime sucks a lot of cpu cycles, and is not insignificant for any older system.