PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake...

kopperdrake
02-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Ooh - think we just had an 'earthquake' in Derby - everything started shaking!

I *knew* I'd put too many onions in that lasagne...

gerry_g
02-26-2008, 06:05 PM
In Kettering Northants same, shook the damned house my flat panel rocked back and forth quite noticeably scared the life out of me, but lets be honest, tremor not quake, this aint LA

DogBoy
02-26-2008, 06:24 PM
It was kinda fun. The glasses chattering, the screens rocking. I thought it was the beginning of Cloverfield ;)

jaf
02-26-2008, 06:50 PM
There were a couple hundred the past few weeks in the 3 - 4 range, about 100 miles east of San Diego in Baja, Mexico. We haven't had a large one here in San Diego for quite a while.

Been here for some 27 years and I still feel the old heart race whenever I feel a quake.

kopperdrake
02-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Reports say it's the largest for nearly 25 years in the UK and was 5.3

Not massive but definitely a quake - according to the Richter scale anything above 4.5 can cause damage to buildings.

I can't imagine living anywhere where real quakes are a common occurrence jaf!

thekho
02-26-2008, 10:06 PM
For a moment I thought my neighbor is angry! It was my first tremor! I don't mind going through that again! But surely no more stronger than 5 (Richter scale).

I got a confirmation from BBC.co.uk

Fizzer
02-27-2008, 02:13 AM
Woke up at 0100 with the bed rapidly vibrating. My immediate thought was earthquake, then I thought nah, being an oldie I thought it was the muscles in my legs spasming. Turned over and went back to sleep!! Woke up this morning and discovered it had actually been a quake after all.

colkai
02-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Yup, felt it up here, woke me up but good. Jumped outta my skin, all my stuff rattling. Yikes, hate to have been around the epicentre. Eek!

Andy Webb
02-27-2008, 02:51 AM
I was busy working in LW when it happened.

I didn't feel a thing but my daughter came down from her bedroom and asked me if I felt the house shake, so it was definitely felt down here in Hertfordshire.

Had I felt it, I would have just assumed it was LW rocking my world :lightwave

:D :D

BazC
02-27-2008, 03:12 AM
We felt it here, near Huntingdon Cambs but didn't know it was a quake till this morning. Cool, first one I ever felt in the UK, used to get them all the time in New Zealand though. It did do some damage, chimney's down and whatnot. Hardly San Andreas levels though! :D

Darth Mole
02-27-2008, 03:53 AM
Fast asleep in bed. Sorry. I felt the one inthe Midlands about 25 years ago - that was weird.

inkpen3d
02-27-2008, 03:55 AM
We felt the quake here in Amersham. I was drifting off to sleep at the time and just put the shaking of the bed down to my snoring:D, but then our daughter came in to our bedroom and said that she'd just felt the whole house shake, something I reckon even my nasal passages are not capable of - though my wife might strongly disagree with me on this!

T-Light
02-27-2008, 04:27 AM
Amazingly for me, for the second night in a row I was actually asleep at that time.

Felt nothing, slept right through it.

kosmodave
02-27-2008, 09:50 AM
felt nothing here on the Isle of Wight, We must be floating after all...:)

KillMe
02-27-2008, 11:06 AM
how on earth does england get an earthquake? there isn't a fault line in england is there??? i know scotland occsaionally gets ones but we do have a fault line - and have to say would like to experiance a tremor but never felt anything here =/

Panikos
02-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Its very seldom to have Earthquakes in UK.
Fortunately it was in small scale.
Personally I've experienced stronger.

Similarly, some phenomena do not happen in other parts of the world,
like Tornados, Tindal waves etc

Its the case that reminds us that is impossible to compete with nature.

bobakabob
02-27-2008, 11:29 AM
It was pretty violent - 5.2 on the Richter scale. The noise was amazing starting with a low rumble in the distance which thundered out of nowhere like a jet airliner was about to hit the roof. The walls were visibly flexing. I was in the attic and half expected the place to collapse. Over after 20 seconds or so. Very rare for the UK.

cresshead
02-27-2008, 11:33 AM
yeah it woke me up...bed shaking and mirror rattling....my oldest cat woke up..looked around at me putting the light on then he curled back up and dozed off...all in a days work for 'wilson':D

kopperdrake
02-27-2008, 01:15 PM
how on earth does england get an earthquake? there isn't a fault line in england is there??? i know scotland occsaionally gets ones but we do have a fault line - and have to say would like to experiance a tremor but never felt anything here =/

There's an old fault line under the East Midlands, guess it's just rolling over in its sleep.

zapper1998
02-27-2008, 01:19 PM
In Kettering Northants same, shook the damned house my flat panel rocked back and forth quite noticeably scared the life out of me, but lets be honest, tremor not quake, this aint LA

LA don't have Tremors or EarthQuakes, They Have EarthShakes every day..

I did not feel a thing.....

andywright
02-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Not fair, i am in Eire on business and missed it, people back home told me they were woken up but i was sleeping peacefully :oye:

tribbles
02-27-2008, 01:57 PM
I agree - not fair. I'm in Seattle and missed it as a result.

jaf
02-27-2008, 06:44 PM
I was working in San Jose in 1989 when the Loma Prieta earthquake hit. It was a 6.9, which is quite large, to say the least. I was on the second floor of a two story wooden apartment building, watching the start of the baseball World Series and working on my old Gateway computer.

I remember trying to find the power switch to save the hard drive (back then, hard drivers were more suspect to shaking and power failures.) Then I ran outside and the noise was crazy. All those expensive BMW's, Mercedes, etc, car alarms were activated. There were four foot waves in the pool and already some smoke on the horizon.

A hour or so later, the power came back on. One of the news stations was showing a helicopter film of the San Fransisco area. They were showing live, the Oakland freeway, and then the announcer said "hey, that's a double deck highway!" The top deck had collapsed onto the lower one.

Of course there was 24 hour a day TV coverage, so many people's nerves were on edge. We had a couple cats which for several days would suddenly look up at the ceiling and then a few seconds later, we would feel an aftershock. It always made the hair on my neck stand up when I saw those cats look up.

JVitale
02-27-2008, 08:11 PM
I live in the epicenter for LA's strongest quake in 1994 (6.4) Northridge California....and I was living there when that quake hit and going to school there as well...(CSU Northridge, where every building had some kind of damage) we still get small quakes here and there but I live in a very structurally sound building where the most disturbance I see in a earthquake are my books falling off shelves.

jameswillmott
02-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Impossible, yes, but 'Tsar Bomba' came pretty close, it caused a magnitude 5-5.25 quake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_bomba

Fizzer
02-28-2008, 03:03 AM

There are something like 200 quakes per year in the UK. All of them so small as to be unnoticeable. Every 25 years or so there are larger ones like the recent one.

The UK is not as geologically quiescent as people think!