PDA

View Full Version : Cloth

LightFreeze
02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
just wondering, what would you consider a realistic challenge for a cloth engine?

serge
02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
How about twisting/wringing a piece of cloth?

Why do you ask? Did you build a cloth engine?

pixelranger
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
a waving flag :p

Dodgy
02-26-2008, 03:18 PM
A soft t-shirt is always a challenge. Close fitting to test the collision, and high poly to see how it wrinkles.... i tend to use Stress map instead of clothFX to do wrinkles for that because it's hard.

LightFreeze
02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
How about twisting/wringing a piece of cloth?

Why do you ask? Did you build a cloth engine?

didn`t build one but I found one (http://www.vimeo.com/channel5583)

pixelranger
02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
a character doing a walk, or even better a run cycle wearing a coat that shows believable weight, collisions and self collision would be a nice test.

And off course, a scene that needs two way interaction between the cloth/soft body and rigid bodies or fluid simulation (e.g. marbles in a bag, hosing down a rug hanging on a wire etc)

serge
02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
didn`t build one but I found one (http://www.vimeo.com/channel5583)
Looks pretty good. When there's many wrinkles and collision going on you can see errors though, especially noticeable in the "dancing" movie. Btw, was this easy to set up?

LightFreeze
02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
I`ve developed an mdd pack for Poser, you can take an animation into poser and use it as a collision object, let poser do the cloth sim then take the sim back out with mdd and render it in Lightwave.

heres a sample from the LW9 content

LightFreeze
02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
had a bash at wringing a cloth, not too bad for 2 hours, set up scene,take it into poser, sim it, back to LW to render

LightFreeze
02-26-2008, 05:24 PM
dang wouldn`t take the attachment, heres a link (http://www.vuescripts.com/clips/ClothWringPsr.mov)

eyelandarts
02-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Wow, so poser has a btter cloth sim that LW?

Ztreem
02-27-2008, 06:51 AM
had a bash at wringing a cloth, not too bad for 2 hours, set up scene,take it into poser, sim it, back to LW to render

I'm sorry but that's not so impressive even LW can do that.

serge
02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Are you sure? Check out the very tight twisting in the center. It's not perfect, but I think this will be extremely difficult to do with ClothFX without messing up the whole cloth. I've run some tests and I'm not able to replicate such a tight twist (which doesn't necessarily mean it's not possible though).

LightFreeze
02-27-2008, 11:00 AM

I tried a few tests with ClothFX as well and it just wouldn`t work, but if you would care to demonstrate, I`d be quite happy to be proven wrong

Ztreem
02-27-2008, 11:03 AM
I'll do some tests later to see if it's not possible to do a similar cloth in LW.

Ztreem
02-27-2008, 11:21 AM
OK, here's a quick test. I know it's not perfect, the cloth is pentrating itself but that seems to be an issue with the poser cloth as well.

LightFreeze
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
similar issues with both I think, this is the best I could get with ClothFX (http://www.vuescripts.com/clips/ClothWringClothFX.mov) but it was 3 time slower than the poser sim but I`m not sure how relevant that is because of the different parameters
So what would you consider a challenge for a cloth engine

serge
02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Guys, I'm trying to create a similar scene, but I can't figure out how to rotate only the upper and lower points of the cloth. :) How did you do that? (I tried bones, but that didn't work well.)

Kryos
02-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Guys, I'm trying to create a similar scene, but I can't figure out how to rotate only the upper and lower points of the cloth. :) How did you do that? (I tried bones, but that didn't work well.)

You'd have to do key frame animation pretty much, select the face or edge that's at the bottom of the cloth and twist that by itself... The cloth sim should adjust for that during the key frame animation after you setup the key frames.

LightFreeze
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I used bones, 3 for the top and 3 for the bottom, for the bottom make a T shape with the stem as the parent, set a weight map along the bottom edge and set the bones to use weightmap only, then mirror that for the top

Stooch
02-27-2008, 07:52 PM
looked at poser cloth... started laughing.

looked at lw cloth... started crying.

LightFreeze
02-28-2008, 12:12 AM
looked at poser cloth... started laughing.

looked at lw cloth... started crying.
:D I know what I`d rather do

Kryos
02-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Syflex FTW!

serge
02-28-2008, 07:06 AM
You'd have to do key frame animation pretty much, select the face or edge that's at the bottom of the cloth and twist that by itself... The cloth sim should adjust for that during the key frame animation after you setup the key frames.
How do you mean select a face/edge and twist that? You mean using bones like Lightfreeze said?

I used bones, 3 for the top and 3 for the bottom, for the bottom make a T shape with the stem as the parent, set a weight map along the bottom edge and set the bones to use weightmap only, then mirror that for the top
I did that, but it won't work. I set it up like you said and got the movement by the bones (see left image), but when I run ClothFX it only works a little for the first few frames, but then there's no influence anymore from the bones (see right picture).

@Ztreem: How did you setup your scene? Also a bone setup like Lightfreeze?

Verlon
02-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Wow, so poser has a btter cloth sim that LW?

Yeah, 'fraid so. Don't let Jin see this thread. He hates poser.

LightFreeze
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
heres the scene I used

serge
02-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks Lightfreeze. I'll check it out.

jesusguijarro
02-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi guys, the fact is that Cloth FX is only usefull for doing waving flag and Superman type cape, if you try to make a skirt, a shirt or a trausers when ever there are rapid movements it dosen't works, or if it works you spend to much time trying it to work. The only choice inside LW is Syflex

eyelandarts
02-28-2008, 12:18 PM
anyone here have syflex that could test this out?

jesusguijarro
02-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Where I work they get it, this is one test with a pants.

eyelandarts
02-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Hola Jesus, is this LW or syflex?

jesusguijarro
02-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Is Syflex, have bored trying doing something like that with MD before and with ClothFX later, Syflex is incredible fast and the best of all, you get inmediate resaults no need for hours of tweaking.

Cageman
02-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Hola Jesus, is this LW or syflex?

Well, it's both! ;) (Syflex in LW) ;)

LightFreeze
02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
heres one of my early tests with Poser (http://www.vuescripts.com/clips/MakHuJog3.avi), bit rough but I`m still learning the best ways to set up stuff

hrgiger
02-28-2008, 02:09 PM
I have Syflex for Lightwave, I'll try and do up some tests when I have time in the next few days to show how cool it is.

jesusguijarro
02-28-2008, 02:21 PM
heres one of my early tests with Poser (http://www.vuescripts.com/clips/MakHuJog3.avi), bit rough but I`m still learning the best ways to set up stuff
It looks good, there are some errors but looks like syflex do.

LightFreeze
02-28-2008, 02:39 PM
just wondering, in syflex can you specify parts of a mesh to be cloth so that only those parts are calculated and the rest of the mesh follows the bones?

eyelandarts
02-28-2008, 02:59 PM
very nice stuff and poser too, not bad. Seems like syflex is worth the $.
A

jesusguijarro
02-28-2008, 03:45 PM
just wondering, in syflex can you specify parts of a mesh to be cloth so that only those parts are calculated and the rest of the mesh follows the bones?
Yes, it is posible

LightFreeze
02-28-2008, 04:43 PM
latest test, someone wanted a long coat, missed a penetration in the setup,on the left lapel, but the rest looks good (http://www.vuescripts.com/clips/TM_walkJog.avi) considering Poser is 10 times cheaper than syflex

jesusguijarro
02-28-2008, 04:51 PM
latest test, someone wanted a long coat, missed a penetration in the setup,on the left lapel, but the rest looks good (http://www.vuescripts.com/clips/TM_walkJog.avi) considering Poser is 10 times cheaper than syflex
Looks very nice

LightFreeze
02-28-2008, 05:33 PM
for any Poser users, heres a sample of the mdd pack (http://www.vuescripts.com/clips/PoserMDD_LWtoPsrtoLW10fps.mov) in action. You can also export figure animations from Poser if you wish, works with Poser6 as well

ben martin
02-29-2008, 07:26 AM
for any Poser users, heres a sample of the mdd pack (http://www.vuescripts.com/clips/PoserMDD_LWtoPsrtoLW10fps.mov) in action. You can also export figure animations from Poser if you wish, works with Poser6 as well
Very well, and about that (Poser) MDD pack, is it available to check it out?

LightFreeze
02-29-2008, 03:59 PM
no demo available at the moment, not sure if there will be a demo, need to research protecting python code

serge
03-02-2008, 02:50 PM
heres the scene I used
Unbelievable. About the whole day I've been trying to figure out why your scene worked, but my scene didn't. In my scene the bones didn't move the 'fixed' part of the cloth when I hit calculate. I picked your scene apart bit by bit to see what could possibly be different from my scene, but no luck...

You wanna know what was the solution? Well, I had to reinstall Lightwave. Yeah, that's right. I had to delete Lightwave and configs and do a clean install. Now it works. Can you believe that?! I can't blame Lightwave since I don't know what caused it, but this really sucks. The last months I've been experimenting a lot, especially with animation/dynamics, but the results of my experiments seem pretty much worthless now.

Aaaaaaarghhh!!!! :cursin: :mad: :bangwall: :compbeati Sorry, just had to get this off my chest...

LightFreeze
03-02-2008, 03:03 PM
your avatars probably a good indication of your state of mind right now :)

serge
03-02-2008, 04:54 PM
your avatars probably a good indication of your state of mind right now :)
Yeah, I wasn't far from losing my mind completely. Who would have thought that, I mean bones not working well with ClothFX, solution: reinstall Lightwave. :screwy: ... Well, to be honest, I did see a few other strange things lately: SoftFX applied while I clicked ClothFX, info disappearing from tabs. I guess these were already warnings that something wasn't right. Anyway, I'm glad things are working fine now, but I'm still far from happy as you can imagine.

Verlon
03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Run a virus scan if you haven't already....

Strage behavior? Better safe than sorry.

serge
03-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Run a virus scan if you haven't already.....
The PC I use for Lightwave doesn't have internet access, and never had. It's a dedicated CG computer. You think it might still be wise to run a virus check? Today I also took the time to disable every non-necessary program through msconfig. Everything looks clean now, but yeah, I'm still worried and would very much like to know what could have caused this, especially since I cannot recall anyone here having similar problems.

BTW, is it okay to have LW8, 9.0, 9.2 and 9.3 installed together? To be 'safe' I only have 9.3.1 installed now, but could this have caused any config conflicts maybe? Oh, btw the HUB looks much cleaner now. I had many 'memory blocks' and what not running in there, and sometimes many instances of different LW versions. Maybe that's what was causing problems. (On the other hand, I did try running without the HUB, and that didn't solve my problems, but maybe things were already messed up by then.)

LightFreeze
03-03-2008, 12:20 AM
You should be ok with the 9 versions IF you have the -c config switch on each version. I wouldn`t use 8 when the 9 hub is running and stop the 8 hub before you go back to 9, dont have 8 and 9 running at the same time

serge
03-03-2008, 06:05 AM
You should be ok with the 9 versions IF you have the -c config switch on each version...
Ah, well, I hadn't done that! I did it everytime for a new beta version, but forgot to do it for the final version. Stupid :o . Well, I hope this was the cause of my problems. Thanks Lightfreeze!

daforum
06-15-2008, 04:45 AM

LightFreeze.

Will there be a mac version of the mddPack for Poser?

LightFreeze
06-15-2008, 05:30 AM
not currently I`m afraid