PDA

View Full Version : Crab animated in LW

Mike_RB
02-25-2008, 01:31 PM
http://www.elementvfx.com/WebDemo/crabhd360.mov
3mb h.264

Quick clip of a hermit crab. This is using 3 packages for the pipeline. modo, zbrush, lw. The animation and setup of the crab was done in LW and we exported using FBX and MDD to test rendering him in modo. Very cool to see all these apps working well together.

Interested in the new 9.5 features:
* New Collada, FBX and OBJ I/O
* New IK Calculation Options for Faster Performance
* New Bone Type - Joints
* New Objective Options for IK
* IK/FK blending
* Multi-threaded Mesh Deformation Evaluation

That may make animating stuff like this and using these packages together even easier! (we had to jump between lw 64 and 32 to use the FBX exporter).

Michael

hairy_llama
02-25-2008, 01:42 PM
That was very well done. Great modeling, texturing and lighting, and of course animating.

sand could use a bit of tweaking ;)

mav3rick
02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
nice anim

Steamthrower
02-25-2008, 01:55 PM
That's almost as good as...as...well, about as good as it can get!

Stooch
02-25-2008, 02:03 PM
i think its a little dark. a bit of front fill would go a long way :)

GregMalick
02-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I saw this over at the Modo forum last Friday.
It made it into a folder of favorite works of other artists.
Not only is the texturing ace but I love the fact the crab leaves footprints in the sand.

Can you tell us how you did the footprint thing?

Andyjaggy
02-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Really great work. I like the sand footprints as well.

I almost felt like the sand could use a bit more work, some micro displacement or something, but maybe its just me.

So how well do the new animation options help?

pixelranger
02-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Awesome work Michael! Excellent model, textures lighting and everything. If it is still in progress (basing my assumption on the word "quick" before "clip") I'd like to see just a little more weight on the crabs body. Like the shifting of his weight from leg to leg has some impact on the angle of the shell/body and maybe also a little bit bobbing in the y axis.
I know this isn't posted in the wip forum, but it's such a great piece of work that I just can't say "cool" and leave it at that ;)
Outstanding piece it is. So it's rendered in Modo? How did you do the footsteps? And how about that hairy "seaweed" on the shell?

Mr Maze
02-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Nicely done... Have to agree with Stooch on the lighting, though. It is good to hear that with 9.5 apps are playing nicely...

Mike_RB
02-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks guys. I agree that things are a little dark in the front. He needs a bit of color correct to give him some punch on LCD's (We viewed the 1080 version of him on our truelight system for film output on a 60" HD monitor and he looked gorgeous). This was using 9.3 and modo302. I don't have access to 9.5 yet as the open beta hasn't started. So I was using the old export abilities. I'm looking forward to the changes in 9.5 though as it will help smooth out the clunkyness of having to jump back to lw32 all the time for FBX.

The footsteps are bumpmaps painted in modo, I just painted a new image every time a foot hit the ground and then animated them to fade on over 2 frames. It's cool to paint textures while you have a deforming mesh as a guide.

I agree that the animation could have a lot more going on but this was us just messing around testing pipeline stuff. We didn't want to invest a whole lot of time so it was pretty much just cleanup of a test walk we had made for the crab.

The gack on the shell is a combo of modo mesh paint for the barnacles and ivygen for the seaweed.

Yes its rendered in modo with blurry reflections and energy conservation on all the crab surfaces, lit with a physical sky.

Michael

Mike_RB
02-25-2008, 03:09 PM
And the sand is just a texture on an SDS plane with some sculpted lumps in it so the background had some variation. It could definitely use something to get it to sparkle a bit more.

iojabba
02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Wow, that is awsome. Would like to see a wave come in a knock it over....

Andyjaggy
02-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh I thought you had used 9.5 for this, my bad.

It's always great to see good animation stuff done in LW as you don't see this kind of stuff done that often. Or maybe that's just me.

Mike_RB
02-25-2008, 03:29 PM
How do you edit posts here these days? I wanted to add a still of one of the 1080 frames to the 1st post but I can't....

http://www.elementvfx.com/WebDemo/crabhd_0071.jpg

Michael

Sarford
02-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi Mike,

Cool animation. I loved the animation of the eyes.
The 'footprint' trick is a nice one, maybe you could also add it too the dragging of the shell in the beginning of the clip.

Andyjaggy
02-25-2008, 03:55 PM
That really is a great looking crab :)

SecretSquirrel
02-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Saw this on Lux's site too, was very impressed!

RedBull
02-25-2008, 04:10 PM
That may make animating stuff like this and using these packages together even easier! (we had to jump between lw 64 and 32 to use the FBX exporter).Michael

What were the issues of jumping between LW64/32 FBX?

Nice work BTW..

Mike_RB
02-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Saw this on Lux's site too, was very impressed!

Yeah, they are hosting the 1080 version if anyone wants to check that out...

http://www.luxology.com/gallery/video.aspx?id=188

Mike_RB
02-25-2008, 04:14 PM
What were the issues of jumping between LW64/32 FBX?

Nice work BTW..

Thanks. We generally only work in LW64 these days. And we have a lot of content that is heavy enough that it won't load into lw32. So in the case of this crab it was possible to revert to lw32. But with some of the film work we've been doing there's no way we could export anything as it wouldn't load into lw32. We would have to do big cutdowns to the scene to export it in chunks. Having all the plugins being native (I think the old lw32 fbx plugs were written by filmbox?) updated to lw64 will be a huge.

Castius
02-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Great work Mike!!

JoPPa
02-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Fantastic job!

pixym
02-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Nice, you should call this crab: Bernard!

MentalFish
02-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Wow, thats really nice. Whats the render time pr frame (nr of cpus involved)?

wavk
02-26-2008, 07:53 AM
looking gorgeous! excellent smithers.

rendertimes?

mlon

dee
02-26-2008, 09:49 AM
fantastic! :thumbsup:

Mike_RB
02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Wow, thats really nice. Whats the render time pr frame (nr of cpus involved)?

About 1h30min with DOF, and 1h10min without. On a 8 core xeon box. So... decently fast compared to our other 1080HD or film work with GI and reflections. Considering how large the crab is in frame and that GI has to fill the rest of the whole frame its pretty snappy.

Mike_RB
02-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks for whomever added the 1080 render to the 1st post. Weird that we can't edit posts.

Glad everyone likes the crab. Hopefully we can render another angle of it...

cresshead
02-29-2008, 08:43 PM
would be cool to see some screen grabs from lw on this project!

Netvudu
02-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Great job Mike. Texturing and lighting look really top-notch.
I agree the new FBX support will open many doors to us, including properly using Motion Builder (and not some older version) again for mocap retargeting stuff.
I donŽt know about you but I still miss the olŽKeytrak plugin regarding character animation. The "new" dopetrack never allowed creating keys for selections sets or animation layers and both aspects were amazingly important to me.

Mike_RB
02-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Great job Mike. Texturing and lighting look really top-notch.
I agree the new FBX support will open many doors to us, including properly using Motion Builder (and not some older version) again for mocap retargeting stuff.
I donŽt know about you but I still miss the olŽKeytrak plugin regarding character animation. The "new" dopetrack never allowed creating keys for selections sets or animation layers and both aspects were amazingly important to me.

Yeah, It was one of my favorite plugins as well. The dopesheet in modo302 has a lot of the flavor of it... I can't wait until Mark Brown can reimplement all the goodies the LW version had.

Mike_RB
03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I managed to get our farm working with modo and BNR yesterday. Works flawlessly.

Here's a test of the crab with the settings reduced and a new camera move and lighting angle.

6mb
http://www.elementvfx.com/WebDemo/crabfarm.mov

kilvano
03-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Thats awesome! The texturing looks amazing.

Just looked at your works site...its really slick. Man i want to work at Embassy...they have cool projects. Where do they post any job openings they have?

kilvano
03-05-2008, 12:05 AM
would be cool to see some screen grabs from lw on this project!

lll second that one

Mike_RB
03-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Thats awesome! The texturing looks amazing.

Just looked at your works site...its really slick. Man i want to work at Embassy...they have cool projects. Where do they post any job openings they have?

Sorry, we're full up on staff right now. It is a cool place to work but it's also pretty small as far as the team goes. Best thing to do is just send a reel and if it's good we'll keep your info on file.

stib
03-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Really nice, manages to combine photorealism with character - the crab looks like it should talk.

The only thing that doesn't sit right for me is the motion of the shell. It's kind of floaty, compared to the jerkiness of the legs. It almost looked like the shell was lifting the body, not vice versa.

I would imagine that there'd be a bit of inertia for the crab moving a heavy shell, so it would lag a bit.