PDA

View Full Version : Nerve Crisis

FLGB
02-25-2008, 04:23 AM
I recently decided to move from Maya to LightWave and I'm doing my current production (a TV ad) using lightwave at 100%.
It's the worst choice I've ever done, it's totally unstable, and this morning I've just lost 4 hours of work. I saved my object, loaded it in layout and it completely messed it up, impossible to go backward. This layout/modeler interraction is the worst on the market. Got to do the work all over again.......... I'm on the verge of having a nerve crisis, but the work must be finished tonight...
I hope it won't do that again otherwise I'm gonna loose a lot of money.
This thread will be my therapy.

Steamthrower
02-25-2008, 09:36 AM
My only questions here would be:

1) are you using a beta version?
2) did you save sequential backups of your work-in-progress?
3) how is the hub messing up? and
4) just how is your object messed up?

FLGB
02-25-2008, 12:15 PM
1) are you using a beta version?
No 9.3.1 UB & PPC

2) did you save sequential backups of your work-in-progress?
Not really. I create a first file, I wait for the client's comments, then I create a second version with all the modifications. So the previous version I have was quite useless.

3) how is the hub messing up?
The synchronization doesn't seems to work.
And I wonder if the problem I had came from that. To replace the versions of the object, I just change the name of the used object, and give the old name to the new version. LW workflow really sucks it's an incredible mess.

4) just how is your object messed up?
I modified a mesh with the dragnet tool, and all these modifs were disgarded.
I placed several text objects at specific locations and merged them as one object (one layer) and once in layout all these texts moved to another location and different orientations.
I had an object on one layer. I cloned it 4 times (in modeler) still in the same layer, and applied different materials to each clone). Once in layout, the clones were all on the top of each other and with the same materiel.
All these changes were made on the LWO file just by importing them in the layout.

In my project, I've modeled a series of wires, now, the client thinks they are too thick. How can I make this modification? In maya it takes just on "click and drag" on the section...

I really like the layout, it's extremely well thought and powerful, but the modeler and it's workflow really sucks and is totally counter-productive.
I'm currently exporting everything to maya as I was able to have a new deadline...

bbuxton
02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
It takes time to switch from one application's workflow to another.

I would never use an application I was not entirely familiar with on production.
Lightwave is stable enough here and certainly hasn't caused any major catastrophes at least not since version 6/6.5.

BB

jin choung
02-25-2008, 11:36 PM
indeed....

what in the world inspired you to so precipitously change to a new app?

i hear xsi is a fine program but i'm not gonna all of a sudden try to learn it as i go on a deadline job.

jin

FLGB
02-25-2008, 11:58 PM
I've been using LW since a long time from v5.6 to v7.5. Then I was fed up by the poor mac support and decided to buy a maya license. I've been using Maya for four years now and decided to go back slowly to lightwave since the announcement of LW9. I did some projects to test LW before completely switching to it, I did a very detailed virtual set for a music video that just went fine. But the project I'm currently working on is revealing LW's limitations.

3D Kiwi
02-26-2008, 01:43 AM
The fact is that Lightwave for some people can be buggy as hell and for others it is rock solid. Only conclusion i can come to is that Lightwave is female.

My advice,

Dont use another 3D App at the same time as lightwave
Never compare lightwave to another 3D App
Always say your sorry to lightwave when it crashes ( its your fault, not hers).
Give her a new plugin ever couple of weeks, free ones are ok, it is the thought that counts.

But in all seriousness i have found that save incremental is your friend, I have it mapped to a hot key in modeler and layout, Im in the habit of hitting the hotkey every few minutes and before and after any major operations. I get heaps of versions but the files are small and if you do have a crash it only costs you a couple of mins.

Also kill the hub, and rewrite your configs every now and then.

Matt
02-26-2008, 03:48 AM
The fact is that Lightwave for some people can be buggy as hell and for others it is rock solid. Only conclusion i can come to is that Lightwave is female.

Yes, rock solid for PC users, buggy as hell for Mac users! ;)

In all seriousness, the Mac version is behind the PC version for stability from what I can gather.

RollerJesus
02-26-2008, 05:01 AM
But in all seriousness i have found that save incremental is your friend, I have it mapped to a hot key in modeler and layout

besides Shift+s... because that would be awesome. You save so often you don't have time for that stupid shift key.

I'm going to get two more keyboards! A Shift+keyboard, an Alt+keyboard and a Ctrl+keyboard and maybe hack a Nintendo PowerGlove for all my modeling needs.

3D Kiwi
02-26-2008, 01:17 PM
besides Shift+s... because that would be awesome. You save so often you don't have time for that stupid shift key.

I'm going to get two more keyboards! A Shift+keyboard, an Alt+keyboard and a Ctrl+keyboard and maybe hack a Nintendo PowerGlove for all my modeling needs.

I use XSI alot and the key for navigation in XSI is s. So i have unmapped anything to do with the s key in lightwave as a safe guard so i cant over write any files etc, and why push two keys when you only need to press one.

___mats___
02-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes, rock solid for PC users, buggy as hell for Mac users! ;)

In all seriousness, the Mac version is behind the PC version for stability from what I can gather.

way way way behind

Like I just posted on another thread, I am using the Macs for eveything BUT 3D.. only using the PCs for lightwave and render nodes, running XP64 it runs very very well, no plugin issues, no crashes, no beachballs when opening a window..etc.

its a shame because OSX is a great platform, but the NT coding is not up to par.. look at C4D which runs exactly the same or even better than on PCs..

someday it might change, for now I am using PCs for Lightwave production exclusively

(modo runs 100% on the mac too, no issues there)

EOT

hard8
02-26-2008, 10:38 PM
way way way behind

Like I just posted on another thread, I am using the Macs for eveything BUT 3D.. only using the PCs for lightwave and render nodes, running XP64 it runs very very well, no plugin issues, no crashes, no beachballs when opening a window..etc.

its a shame because OSX is a great platform, but the NT coding is not up to par.. look at C4D which runs exactly the same or even better than on PCs..

someday it might change, for now I am using PCs for Lightwave production exclusively

EOT

agreed. ever since Brad left NT this product has gone downhill. They actually had 9.3 running rock solid on the PPC. I have never been so impressed by NT post shakeup, but seeing how poorly they have implemented the UB versions, I'm seriously about to go Maya/Modo.

So right now I have a production deadline and I can't texture the objects and have any confidence the scene will open as it was saved.

I've been gritting my teeth since 5.5 and they have never really gotten it together. I'll wait it out for 9.5, but if they haven't sorted it out, I'll have to jump ship.

WShawn
02-26-2008, 11:02 PM

Yeah, now that I'm looking at some downtime I think I'm going to download and play with the 30 day trial or Modo for my Mac. I've grown more and more disenchanted with LW, with which I've had a love/hate relationship since version 5.6.

I'm hardly doing cutting-edge stuff; I create and animate models of printers and trucks and generally boring stuff for corporate clients. But I often feel like I'm walking on eggshells. I diasabled the hub months ago.

I'm particularly disappointed with the open GL performance of Modeler and Layout. My Mac (Dual 2.5 Ghz G5 with 6GB RAM, a higher-end $450 ATI Card, LW 9.2) isn't the newest, but it's not a POS either. Working on a model over 50,000 polygons becomes an exercise in frustration, like swimming through molasses. Creating an Open GL preview in Layout takes forever in anything but the simplest scenes. I'll be interested to see if Modo is snappier with big models and complex scenes.

Everybody's going ga-ga about all the cool new features being offered up in LW 9.5. Ooh, better hair simulations! I could not care less. I'd much rather NT put its energies into fixing the core shortcomings of the software.

The same old story, especially for Mac users.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Giacomo99
02-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm particularly disappointed with the open GL performance of Modeler and Layout. My Mac (Dual 2.5 Ghz G5 with 6GB RAM, a higher-end $450 ATI Card, LW 9.2) isn't the newest, but it's not a POS either.

Some of the blame rests with Apple--the molasses effect at 50,000 polys is extremely familiar to me. I bought one of the first dual G5s and then (weeks later, in fact) Apple changed to the PCI Express bus, basically orphaning earlier buyers as far as video cards go--the incredibly gutless Radeon 9600 and the somewhat-less-gutless-but-incredibly-unstable Radeon 9800 were pretty much the only options.

I don't know if that's the configuration you've got, but, regardless, the lack of available decent graphics cards rendered those machines extremely weak for any 3D program, Lightwave or not.

hard8
02-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I had the same issue. I got juked by the PCX/PCI Express change over too with my old G5. The best workaround is to set the Bounding Box threshold low so you can work fast. It's not the ideal situation, but it's really the only option.

Rendering is another issue altogether.