PDA

View Full Version : Adding amb. occl. to a material node?

JeffrySG
02-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok, let's say I have a material that I've built using two material nodes and a material mixer node. And then I want to add an ambient occlusion node to the shader to add some extra shadow shading to it. How do I go about putting it in? Can I blend the initial gradient colors with the AO node? if so how? Those gradients are incidence gradients, btw.

Any help would be appreciated! Here's a pic of the node setup I have right now with the AO node all lost right now....

:help:

Thanks,
Jeff

jameswillmott
02-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Yes, you can blend the initial colour. One way is to feed it into a Scale Vector node, and control the scaling with the Occlusion node. Take the output of that and use it to colour your Conductor nodes.

JeffrySG
02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
James,

So do you mean: run the AO into a vector scaler into a multiply into the material node? and then also run the gradient into the multiply that goes into the same material node? Not sure if I'm following that correctly... thanks for the assistance...

JeffrySG
02-24-2008, 10:08 PM
In the end I guess I just need to know how to blend a color gradient with an AO node... then I can put that into the color of a material node. When I use a multiply node the color drops out of the result.

jameswillmott
02-24-2008, 10:15 PM
James,

So do you mean: run the AO into a vector scaler into a multiply into the material node? and then also run the gradient into the multiply that goes into the same material node? Not sure if I'm following that correctly... thanks for the assistance...

Here's what I described, visually it's easier to understand I guess...

JeffrySG
02-24-2008, 10:18 PM
ok, thanks... I'll try that! I just came up with this one too... not sure if they do the same thing...

jameswillmott
02-24-2008, 10:34 PM
That should work too! ( The mixer is using Multiply, right? ) Nodal has many ways of doing the same thing.

JeffrySG
02-24-2008, 10:35 PM
yes, I set it to multiply... :)

Thanks again James!! :D