PDA

View Full Version : Am I expecting too much?

tenbar
02-24-2008, 08:00 PM
I just received the VT[5] update - (snafu somewhere along the line - I was supposed to get it back in Nov) - and was anxious to start playing around with SpeedEdit. World's Fastest Video Editor? Not in my experience. It runs like a dog (both the VT version and the Standalone version). Here are my system specs:

Supermicro X5DA8 with 2 Xeon dual core processors at 2.8Ghz (i.e. Task Manager shows 4 CPUs in the performance tab), 4GB DDR266/200 RAM.

My video drives:
7x36GB Ultra320 SCSI (striped)
4x36GB Ultra320 SCSI (striped)

My video card:
nVidia Quadro FX 2000

Performance is extremely lackluster - menus take forever to appear, deselecting and selecting another clip in the timeline or the storyboard is very slow, etc. In general, the application is just very unresponsive.

I'm hoping someone can tell me that I need to do a little tweaking to Windows XP or some BIOS changes or something rather than scrapping this system and buying/building something else. Is more memory the answer? I *upgraded* Windows 2K to XP (so I wouldn't have to reinstall all my other apps, lose all my settings, etc.) - should I have done a clean install? Could this be an OS problem?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, hints, etc.,
Brian

UnCommonGrafx
02-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Sadly, yes.

ted
02-24-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm a BIG fan of the NVIDIA cards, but not familiar with the FX2000. Canít find any speck on that card on the NVIDIA site.
Some of what you describe sounds like GFX card related. Whatís the dedicated memory on your NVIDIA card?
Your system doesn't sound like a dinosaur by any means, but often a weak component within a strong chain can cause a bottleneck.

tenbar
02-24-2008, 11:33 PM
I probably should have done this first, but I took some time and browsed the FAQ for SE. There were a couple of suggestions - nvidia Forceware video driver and the suggestion that Media Player may need to be "initialized" - since I just upgraded from 2000 to XP, I had not run MS Media Player yet. I downloaded and installed the new video driver AND opened the MS Media player (answered a bunch of questions and then shut it down). Reboot. What a difference! Still not exactly a speed demon, but much much better - certainly more useable than it was before.

tenbar
02-24-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm a BIG fan of the NVIDIA cards, but not familiar with the FX2000. Canít find any speck on that card on the NVIDIA site.
Some of what you describe sounds like GFX card related. Whatís the dedicated memory on your NVIDIA card?
Your system doesn't sound like a dinosaur by any means, but often a weak component within a strong chain can cause a bottleneck.

True - its not a dinosaur, but it has been around for a while - I built it when I upgraded to the VT[3] and it served me well through the upgrade to VT[4] and now VT[5]. I am a little hesitant to upgrade my Windows box (or get a new one) since I am really beginning to enjoy working on my (relatively new) MacPro. However, the little bit of experience I've had with FinalCut leaves me wanting - I'm used to the extreme flexibility of the VT[3,4,5] system as far as input, output and tools go. If all my footage could come from DV/firewire devices, I think it would be fine, but I have clients that still use VHS/8mm/Hi-8 - buying a piece of hardware to bring in S-Video or (ugh) Composite video to the Mac seems like a waste - and FC just doesn't like to process anything other than "native" video captured from firewire devices (with a few exceptions). But I digress - this was about SpeedEdit and I'm feeling a little better about sticking with my Windows box (for now anyway).

stargatesg1
02-25-2008, 11:33 AM
I too have the same mobo as you etc. I have a slightly beefier video card and it seems to be mostly happy. One thing I do have is a stand alone version of
SpeedEdit. I have it on xp on my macbookpro using bootcamp. Hook up a multi-drive unit with sata2 express-card and it makes a decent field machine too. Then you can off load the footage to your vt5 and go back and forth.
CJ

Jim_C
02-25-2008, 12:20 PM
What kind of files are you editing?

I have SE on a Dual 1.8 and it is rather peppy with SD stuff, slows down quite a bit with any HD work (a LOT with some) but still useable.

I would say you certainly have more pep left then your first post indicates...Would be hard not to....

Not sure if it affects Quadro cards, but make sure the nVidia 'Desktop' feature is turned off also.

Dodgy
02-25-2008, 04:35 PM
I find working with a thousand or so images can be slow for a while, then it gets a bit faster. Any suggestions?

ted
02-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Brian, glad you have found some happieness with your system.

tenbar
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I too have the same mobo as you etc. I have a slightly beefier video card and it seems to be mostly happy. One thing I do have is a stand alone version of
SpeedEdit. I have it on xp on my macbookpro using bootcamp. Hook up a multi-drive unit with sata2 express-card and it makes a decent field machine too. Then you can off load the footage to your vt5 and go back and forth.
CJ

Given that changing the video driver made such an improvement, I am inclined to believe I need a better video card. Could you tell me what you are using? If you could/would upgrade your video card, what would you get?

Thanks,
-=b=-

Verlon
02-27-2008, 04:54 AM
I find working with a thousand or so images can be slow for a while, then it gets a bit faster. Any suggestions?

Yeah....nothing like 30 seconds worth of TGAs in 1080*1920 to slow SE down to a crawl.

But other than that, it seems to run ok for me most of the time.

wvp
02-27-2008, 06:42 AM
Given that changing the video driver made such an improvement, I am inclined to believe I need a better video card. Could you tell me what you are using? If you could/would upgrade your video card, what would you get?

Thanks,
-=b=-
According to Newtek, you don't need anything high-end - check out their specs. Also, do realize with some firewire machines you can plug in (or out) analog sources like Hi-8 and feed the signal through.
Another speed help is that VT5 & SE will take advantage of a faster FSB and NCQ on drives - two things that are lacking in your current config.
You might want to run SE on the mac which is faster

Rich Deustachio
02-28-2008, 12:47 PM
If your using an APG slot this card would work http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143040

or this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143102

CreatvGnius
02-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Here are my system specs:

Supermicro X5DA8 with 2 Xeon dual core processors at 2.8Ghz (i.e. Task Manager shows 4 CPUs in the performance tab), 4GB DDR266/200 RAM.

My video drives:
7x36GB Ultra320 SCSI (striped)
4x36GB Ultra320 SCSI (striped)

My video card:
nVidia Quadro FX 2000

Performance is extremely lackluster...Could this be an OS problem?

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, hints, etc.,
Brian

Hi, Brian. Have you any idea whether or not your system sports a motherboard that has a mere 533MHz Front-side Buss (as does ours here)? Also, have you any additional system specs for us to consider? Running a screen-saver in the background? (Let's hope not!) ;-)

My understanding is that SpeedEDIT and VT[5] really likes to see 800MHz FSB or better -- and for that reason alone, I have postponed installation of VT[5] on this host PC, since I get quite good a response out of VT[4] version 4.6 software.

We're using the recently-acquired VT[5] upgrade as a worthy incentive to upgrade our system hardware.
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
02-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Also, be sure you haven't got a bunch of crapware from Internet exposure, bogging your system down.

On that note, I've noticed some episodes in months past, of having experienced a slower machine, with some Microsoft Windows Updates, FWIW.

Is your machine on an active network with other PCs? Just some things to look into until you get to the bottom of just what's up -- but my preliminary suspicion is that you might well be dealing with a relatively slow system buss (by today's standards) -- until you inform us otherwise.
-PeterG

tenbar
03-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi, Brian. Have you any idea whether or not your system sports a motherboard that has a mere 533MHz Front-side Buss (as does ours here)? Also, have you any additional system specs for us to consider? Running a screen-saver in the background? (Let's hope not!) ;-)

My understanding is that SpeedEDIT and VT[5] really likes to see 800MHz FSB or better -- and for that reason alone, I have postponed installation of VT[5] on this host PC, since I get quite good a response out of VT[4] version 4.6 software.

We're using the recently-acquired VT[5] upgrade as a worthy incentive to upgrade our system hardware.
-PeterG

Yes, my FSB is only 533MHz - guess I'll need to pop for a new motherboard at some point. Ah well, this machine served me well. Guess I'll add it to my LW render farm...

Thanks,
-=b=-

mskuma
03-08-2008, 09:23 PM
I've been through a similar thing.. my 'crap' P4 notebook was not sufficient for SE but was ok for Vegas. I think NewTek could help people in lieu of no demo to at least put out a 'SE system evaluation' tool so people can at least run that to determine whether their system can cope with SE. This is something even my local dealer could not answer, except by selling me a copy of SE and telling me 'you take your chances' (with no refund).

UnCommonGrafx
03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Hmm, so I wasn't so far off, eh?

I was not saying it to be crude, sarcastic or otherwise; I said it because it's what happened to me, too.

Sometimes I think we hurt ourselves with the Polly Anna approach we often exude around here. SE, nor VT5, scale that well on older machines. It's just a fact of the business.

ScorpioProd
03-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Definitely SpeedEDIT needs the right hardware to run well.

My old dual-Xeon 2.8GHz machine can do HDV great in Vegas Pro 8, but in SpeedEDIT, I can barely keep one stream of HDV playing smooth.

That's the nature of the beast.

CreatvGnius
03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Hmm, so I wasn't so far off, eh?

I was not saying it to be crude, sarcastic or otherwise; I said it because it's what happened to me, too.

Sometimes I think we hurt ourselves with the Polly Anna approach we often exude around here. SE, nor VT5, scale that well on older machines. It's just a fact of the business.

"Polly Anna" approach. Tee-he.:bday:
-PeterG