PDA

View Full Version : What music do you model/render to?

IMI
02-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Yesterday I put an 80 gig HDD into the PC across the room from my main machine so I could add some more music to it. I copied all my favorite music to it from the original CD's and have spent the last nine or so hours listening to everything I have by Dream Theater and Pink Floyd as I've been playing in Modeler and doing regular work I need to do for my business.

One funny thing I've noticed is I seem to do better and faster UV mapping when listening to extreme guitar. :jam:

What if anything do you all listen to while working in LW? Do you think it helps to relax you or put you in "the zone"?

Stooch
02-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I listen to alot of downtempo electronic, acid jass, breakbeats, triphop and undergrown hip hop. I would mention some names but most poeple never heard of it so I wont bother. I have a streaming web player that i can share if people pm me, (has all my top picks) but i dont like to share its link too openly, wouldnt want to get a ridiculous spike in bandwith useage (again). :)

Steamthrower
02-24-2008, 06:03 PM
I listen to a pretty eclectic range of stuff. My likes range from old stuff like Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin or The Eagles to new stuff like Flyleaf, Evanescence (from my hometown) or

However for modeling I tend to get more done if I listen to downbeat stuff. Alternative stuff like Cat Power, or simply female vocals like Norah Jones or Colbie Caillat. People give me a hard time for listening to female vocals, but I try my best to ignore them...but alas...the digs dig deep...

I never got into electronic stuff, Stooch, but I did find a very cool CD while in Europe called Lunatico by The Gotan Project. It's classified as electronica/tango. It's weird as anything but it tends to grow on you.

IMI
02-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Flyleaf is cool. One of the better bands, IMO, since the advent of 'Alternative' and its subsequent death due to overexposure, if you know what I mean.

Nothing wrong with chick singers in rock bands. :D

IMI
02-24-2008, 06:23 PM
While I'm at it, I might mention I think System of a Down is the single best rock/metal/alternative band to come out in this century.... incredible lyrics and vocal ability on the part of Serge, not to mention the tightness between the bass and drums with the rhythm guitar... great for modeling angry things to. ;)

greent
02-24-2008, 06:40 PM
can't work with easy tunes, make me feel sleepy, atm two bands on my playlist are tool and mudvayne (shuffled :-).

StereoMike
02-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Gotan Project is cool, if I remember right they had a concept album with every track being kinda tango.
Right now I can't listen to anything. I've got a cold, it's middle of the night and this week comes a deadline and I have to fly on wednesday to munich (which costs a whole day). In that state of mind listening to music would make me either more drowsy or focused on the music.. both not cool for doing work..
24 hours is too little. I need longer days...

mike

kopperdrake
02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Ooh - I'm pretty eclectic too, though can't get into hiphop or anything similar, guess I just can't identify with it. At the moment listening to some elisa carthy, female vocals don't seem to have the same stigma over here it seems you guys get. Gotan project are cool I have to admit, haven't really listened to them in while though. Really like beth orton too, bit of radiohead, love belle and sebastian and another scot's band, Looper.

StereoMike
02-24-2008, 08:35 PM
I find the current radiohead album veeery nice. I heard it several days in one go when I had it new. I digged a bit into joy division related bands recently, on that journey I found the editors which sound great (try munich (http://hypem.com/track/483302)).
www.hypem.com is a great site to find good music.

mike

Mr Big
02-24-2008, 08:53 PM
If you can put up with commercials try the Zone 91.3 modern music streaming from your computer.
http://www.thezone.fm/

just click on listening help

Steamthrower
02-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, IMI, it does seem that "alternative" soon became "cool" and then subsequently became "run-of-the-mill".

I find that I like almost anything that sounds a bit different. Flyleaf is unique in that it has a chick singer in a metal band, and their sound (while grungy) is still clean and artistic enough to not make my ears pound in agony. I also like Evanescence for the same reason, though they've since spawned an entire breed of semi-goth trance dream rock type bands. Plus I have to like Evanescence. Like someone from Chicago has to like the Bears.

This is a band that I like that's also a regional band (guys, you don't know how barren Arkansas is). Deas Vail. Interesting sound. http://www.purevolume.com/deasvail

IMI
02-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Dais Vail. Nice melodies, but they sound like a band ruled by a producer who's staked his fortune on their acceptance in the off-mainstream. ;)

Umm, no offense to the "Armpit of America" or anything. ;)

Stooch
02-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I listen to a pretty eclectic range of stuff. My likes range from old stuff like Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin or The Eagles to new stuff like Flyleaf, Evanescence (from my hometown) or

However for modeling I tend to get more done if I listen to downbeat stuff. Alternative stuff like Cat Power, or simply female vocals like Norah Jones or Colbie Caillat. People give me a hard time for listening to female vocals, but I try my best to ignore them...but alas...the digs dig deep...

I never got into electronic stuff, Stooch, but I did find a very cool CD while in Europe called Lunatico by The Gotan Project. It's classified as electronica/tango. It's weird as anything but it tends to grow on you.

gotan is very much like the kind of electronica i mean, i dont like repetitive techno music, alot of people ignorantly assume that anything ELECTRONIC = TECHNO which is completely wrong. alot of my stuff sounds like traditional instruments and you wouldnt know any better unless i told you :)

3D Kiwi
02-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Well you will all laugh at me but currently i am listening to the Transformers sound track, Other than that it is AC/DC, eagles, or Michael Jackson.

IMI
02-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Your music? Tell us, stooch. Link? PM if you don't want to post it public. :)

IMI
02-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Well you will all laugh at me but currently i am listening to the Transformers sound track, Other than that it is AC/DC, eagles, or Michael Jackson.

Won't laugh about Eagles, and am totally in agreement about AC/DC, but...

Stooch
02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
lol my selection of music to be more precise. i do compose my own music too but i not comfortable with it to post yet. :) alot of wips that need polishing. and they are always taking a back seat to my 3d work so i dont spend nearly enough time on them. someday though :) someday...

Your music? Tell us, stooch. Link? PM if you don't want to post it public. :)

colkai
02-25-2008, 02:12 AM
I must be odd.
I simply cannot listen to music whilst I work, either Lw or my coding day job.

I've always needed a light quiet environment to work, guess I'll never make a "proper" animator. :p ;)

meshpig
02-25-2008, 03:55 AM
As an adolescent, you have the mental agility to do 5 things at once and not notice anything contradictory. Too bad you are only there for the few short years.

-Can no longer parallel process these days.. if i can just... escape..., must... no, Kryptonite!... must-get-away, if i can just... can't... seem to...

The 20C was full of artistic attempts to make it possible to visualize sound and create pictures in music. It's bunk in theory but one successful attempt at least is Francis Bacon, (the English painter). His paintings of bullfights (after Picasso etc.) do rustle up the physical sounds-of very convincingly via an image.

-You pay $300 for an Opera ticket and get a 20m wide text screen pumping out the words to those soggy melodramas most of which the singers can't articulate at high C.

-You get dumb sh*t on itunes which is %1000 redundant.

To me, they're separate.

We've got birds here. Lots of birds, so if it isn't the TV.

m:hat:

meshpig
02-25-2008, 04:07 AM

Steamthrower
02-25-2008, 06:50 AM
I've always needed a light quiet environment to work, guess I'll never make a "proper" animator.

As an adolescent, you have the mental agility to do 5 things at once and not notice anything contradictory. Too bad you are only there for the few short years.
Gosh, I guess I thought IMI was some old dude. Never guessed he was adolescent.

Other than that it is AC/DC, eagles, or Michael Jackson.
Um. Okay. First two are fine. Though Eagles should have come first. But...M****** J******? Please.

Jim_C
02-25-2008, 07:27 AM
If a little music in the background distracts one from doing a job, I would hate to see what Muzak at a Department store does. Curl up in a ball on the floor from the mental confusion unable to choose a shirt? :)

Thriller=One of the greatest albums of all time
Eagles now sell their Geritol rock at Wal-Marts only.
AC/DC died with Angus.

Charlie Hunter's 8 string = perfect background imo

colkai
02-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Not exactly, I mean, have you ever been shopping with the wife? Focus and concentration are not exactly high on the requirement list. A quick route to the exit however... ;) :p

Steamthrower
02-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Not exactly, I mean, have you ever been shopping with the wife? Focus and concentration are not exactly high on the requirement list. A quick route to the exit however... ;) :p

My favorite was the furniture/linens store with a room full of armchairs and magazines and television sets called the "Husband's Rehabilitation Room".

kopperdrake
02-25-2008, 08:40 AM
I must be odd.

Yup ^^

;)

colkai
02-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Yup ^^

;)
Damn, the voices weren't lying after all :D

Steamthrower
02-25-2008, 09:12 AM
So does anybody...anybody...happen to listen to a dude named Rachmaninov? Or Grieg?

Andyjaggy
02-25-2008, 09:48 AM
When I'm in the mood yes.

greeb1957
02-25-2008, 10:06 AM
sometimes some System of a Down or Dragonforce

RollerJesus
02-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I tend towards the mild, usually guitar based folk and rock. I've been listening to Val Emmich a lot, a local Tampa guy named Have Gun Will Travel and some Martin Sexton.

It varies greatly though.

calilifestyle
02-25-2008, 10:24 AM
um Pandora just add the names of group or bands i like and hit mix.

RollerJesus
02-25-2008, 10:25 AM

I second that, what a great concept!

Signal to Noise
02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Hannah Montana and High School Musical soundtracks are rawkin!

StereoMike
02-25-2008, 12:30 PM
High school musical???
How old are you?
:P

Rachmaninov? Fine music. I heard some Shostakovich lately.

mike

art
02-25-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm sure he was just joking. That, or his signal to noise filters went out of tune.

Steamthrower
02-25-2008, 12:39 PM
He is [9].

About the age for Hannah Montana. :D

Stooch
02-25-2008, 01:34 PM
My favorite band is "Blood Sport"

http://www.imagepillage.com/uploadedimages/3987559.gif

as far as MJ, he may be weird, he may be scary, but you could never take away his talent from him. Amazing dancer and has some great tracks. here is one that i like alot:

http://mjbaltic.com/MP3/Remixes/Butterflies-Outland_Mix.mp3

just dont think of him singing to little boys, he is singing to a sexy woman, im sure.

tyrot
02-25-2008, 02:18 PM
So does anybody...anybody...happen to listen to a dude named Rachmaninov? Or Grieg?

dear inigo

aha..classical...stop right there..

gustav holst ...cloud messenger, hmyn of jesus...(planets, neptune!)
ralph vaughan williams --pilgrim progress + 5th,7th symphonies..simply the paragon of british classical music....

prokofiyev......alexander nem(v)sky

sibelius.....2nd symphony...5 th symphony, kullervo

mendelshonn...4 th italian symphony...for me one of the greatest harmony in music ever...

anton bruckner...his 5 th, 6th, 8th (AMAZING) and unfinished 9th...GodLike..

rimsky-korsakov -- spanish capriggio...(orchestration 101)

i hate brahms...toooooo lame..., johann strauss..waltz king..(tiesto of his age..) if i have a chance i ll go back in time and kill that guy and make waltz on his corpse.

richard strauss....now that is the STRAUSS all about.. :) Salome

BEST

Steamthrower
02-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Rachmaninov, Grieg, Rimsky-Korsakov, Saint-Saens, Pachelbel, all are favorites of mine. But none, I repeat, none, are ever quite as good as Bach.

Bach was the greatest musician that ever lived. He was so different in the stagnated 18th century, that I believe if he were alive today he would write the greatest rock opera that could ever possibly be created.

Anyone ever been to a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert? It was amazing. I loved it. Definitely worth the $82 ticket.

Andyjaggy
02-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I love Bach too. One of my all time favorite composers.

Steamthrower
02-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Sadly with youth comes a type of peer disregard for anything traditional. When I was a teen I would constantly get jabs about my music likes. Apparently if you happen to read the Nibelungenlied and listen to Bach, you're a medieval pariah. So that peer disregard eased my transition into Flyleaf and alternative rock...away from the piano to electric guitar...my aesthetic values are crumbling...but when I get old I'll revert most likely.

Anybody like Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66?

cresshead
02-26-2008, 01:30 PM
fav music to render to currently is Utada Hikaru
fav track is 'this is love'

i've no idea what the words are as it's 98% sung in japanese but she has a wonderful voice and writes great melodies.

warrenwc
02-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Late to this party but:
Moody Blues, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Herb Alpert, The Chrystal Method, King Crimson, Dave Brubeck, The Chemical Brothers, Almost ANY classical (except most opera), Johnathan Coulton & this guy too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4Ra2KOyas
But you almost HAVE to watch him:cool:

bobakabob
02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Sheer vanity but our own stuff (http://www.invisibleray.co.uk/kandinski.htm)...

http://www.invisibleray.co.uk/sleeves/clownfront.jpg

steamthunk
02-26-2008, 07:47 PM
shoutcast.com is my friend. I like to dial up the cinema soundtracks station when the wife is nearby. Otherwise its trance, electronica, with occasional diversions to euro and japanese rock/pop. I find not knowing the language can be less of a distraction.

meatycheesyboy
02-26-2008, 09:13 PM
I usually alternate between thing like Ray Laontagne, Less Than Jake, Neko Case, Tracy Chapman, Dixie Chicks, Bad Religion, The Hives and Rancid.

I just saw The Hives in concert last weekend. If anyone here listens to them, run to the next live show they do near you, they're great live.

Iain
02-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Band of Horses, Sons and Daughters, LCD Soundsystem, We are Scientists, Young Knives, The Mystery Jets.

Anything new(ish) and interesting.
Basically BBC 6music streaming.

art
02-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Mods should merge this thread with:
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52904

I'm in process of converting all my CDs (not that many, 300+) into mp3s and as a result I started listening again to some stuff I haven't touch in years.

Andyjaggy
02-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I did that a few years back. I hardly ever touch my CD's anymore.

art
02-28-2008, 09:26 AM
I want to put all my CDs in the basement and save some space on the shelves. CDs are... inconvenient. Sadly, my car still plays regular CDs only.

These are some of the "forgotten" artists that I listened to again:
Stone Temple Pilots
Faith No More
Vangelis
Crystal Method
Nature
Future Sound of London
Tool
Sandra
Skinny Puppy
Guns'N'Roses
Orb
Marilyn Manson

Andyjaggy
02-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Guns N Roses. One of my favs.

art
02-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, their Use your illusion I & II is what got me into this kind of music in the first place.

Steamthrower
02-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Guns N Roses - awesome stuff! I attempted a while back to play the guitar solo for Sweet Child o' Mine...I gave up because it was too hard for my skills (bow-hunting skills, computer hacking skills) but I might just have to get that out again and see what I can do with it.

Andyjaggy
02-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Numchuck skills

Steamthrower
02-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Well, you have a sweet bike. And you're really good at hooking up with chicks. Plus you're like the only guy at school who has a moustache.

StereoMike
02-28-2008, 10:48 AM
I know this sentence from a movie, right? Was it Dynamite?

Andyjaggy
02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Yep. A really stupid but for some reason hilarious movie. Made by a guy from the school I went to.

Nicolas Jordan
02-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Once in a while when I am doing more menotinous tasks I will listen to P.O.D. or some of Tarons music. I used to be much more into music in my teen years and very early 20s but now I don't seem have much interest in music. When doing most 3d work I prefer silence or very little noise distraction.

Jim_C
02-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Not a whole lot of jam bands mentioned.

If any.....

I was gonna put pre '98 Phish on the list but I didn't want to be made fun of... :)
Plus it is a lot of notes to model/work to at times...

animotion
02-28-2008, 07:29 PM
I Like fine Elevator type music like those elegant and well thought out productions by 2 live crew. :D

JeffrySG
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
:agree: I listen to all different stuff... but for getting real work done I mostly like instrumental music. Guitar stuff or Trance...

Steamthrower
02-29-2008, 01:42 PM
:agree: I listen to all different stuff... but for getting real work done I mostly like instrumental music. Guitar stuff or Trance...

Good point...words tend to distract me, so if I'm on a time crunch or need to concentrate I like Bela Fleck acoustic newgrass, or...or...foreign stuff.

Though I know enough German to scrape by, when listening to music I can zone out to it. That's why I like this chick (pop/rock/blues), with the oddest voice in the world:

http://www.annettlouisan.de/

art
02-29-2008, 02:22 PM
I tried a few samples. I like the music, don't understand a word, but I do not hear anything odd in her voice.

StereoMike
02-29-2008, 02:30 PM
She has something odd to her voice even when you're German...
As if she swallowed a 'make cute' pill or something.
She had a hit in the charts (Das Spiel).

mike

SecretSquirrel
02-29-2008, 02:44 PM
If I need to get something out quickly, Drum & Bass does it for me, but mostly it's Electronica, or if the mood takes me really cheesy sing-a-long music!

Steamthrower
02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
She has something odd to her voice even when you're German...
As if she swallowed a 'make cute' pill or something.
She had a hit in the charts (Das Spiel).

mike

Yeah, she's only about 4' 10" or so, perhaps that's why she sounds "cute".

My favorite was the single she put out, Wer Ich Bin Wirklich.