PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question

A.Russell
07-15-2003, 11:34 AM
I've been offered some great tutorials and references, but there are some basics I really want to come to grips with fast.

Selecting Objects: Say I make a pyramid a sphere and a box. Then say I decide that I want to move the box a bit. How do I select it and move it separately from the pyramid and the sphere?

Grouping: Now say I want to put the pyramid and the sphere into one group so that I can move them around and edit them separately from the box. How do I do that? I might even want to give this a group a name so I can remember which part of my model it is.

As it is now everything I create is all lumped together. I see there is a thing for layers in the top right hand of the interface. Do I have to put each item I make on a different layer? If so then how do I combine layers together? There is also a field with "unnamed" written on it, but I can't write anything there.

I want to be able to quickly select the part of the model I want to work on, maybe move it around or group it with something else.

The modeling I've been doing up until now has been pretty simple. Mostly I use Select(vertice/face/group), Move, Rotate, Scale and Extrude. Using only those tools I can do fairly well. I can't wait to get into the more powerful features of Lightwave, but right now it's the simple things that are holding me back.

gjjackson
07-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by A.Russell

Selecting Objects: Say I make a pyramid a sphere and a box. Then say I decide that I want to move the box a bit. How do I select it and move it separately from the pyramid and the sphere?

You could select a polygon and then use ] key to select all the polygons. Using shift ] will select in stages.

As it is now everything I create is all lumped together. I see there is a thing for layers in the top right hand of the interface. Do I have to put each item I make on a different layer? If so then how do I combine layers together? There is also a field with "unnamed" written on it, but I can't write anything there.

Layers would be a good way to go. Under Detail > Layers a couple of functions: Layer settings and Flatten Layers. Also ^F5 brings up the Layers window so you can select from there.

Have Fun!!!

A.Russell
07-15-2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks, I give it a go.

While I'm sitting here getting frustrated, one more question. When I want to rotate something I think it is very cool how I can rotate around any point of origin. However, often I just want to rotate from the centre of the thing I have selected. Is that possible without having to put the mouse -inacurately- over the centre of the selection?

gjjackson
07-15-2003, 01:35 PM
If I understand what you want you can use
Modify>Rotate - RotateHPB. You can enter the axis that you want to rotate from there.

You may want to download some of the UI movies on the Newtek site.

http://www.newtek.com/community/tutorials.html

Navigate to the Interactive Guides. The five modules there give a pretty good idea of what's what.

Sven Pampel
07-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Look at the bottom of the modeller ui theres a dropdown "Modes" there you can set the action center to mouse,origin,selection ...

Hope it helps

Sven

toby
07-15-2003, 03:11 PM
And why haven't you read the manual?

riki
07-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Deleted

A.Russell
07-15-2003, 10:15 PM
@ GJJackon & Sven Pampel, thank you, that information cleared things up for me right away.

@Toby and Riki, I'm sorry if my post offended you. I do not have a copy of the manual yet as I am still evaluating Lightwave along with 3d Studio Max, which I am also considering. I have watched the quick start videos on the Newtek site and they did help a bit to find my way around the interface. I also went through a few tutorials about how to make plates and cups and things. I've also been reading through the information on the site and your tutorial too, Riki. I've spent a fair few hours on it now. Last night I was at the stage where I was pulling my hair out because the very things that are basic to way I am used to modeling I can't find how to do. I don't really care about hypervolexs, magic bevels or weight maps at this stage. I just want basics to get up and running for a start and have been having trouble finding information on them, and I am not used to Lightwave's style of UI. I did label the post "Newbie Question," so that might have suggested you were about read something so simple that experience users like yourslves might find it stupid and annoying. If I shouldn't post these questions in your community please let me know.

BTW: What kind of "nasty assumptions" have you been making about me Riki?

riki
07-15-2003, 10:42 PM
Hi Russell sorry for the harsh response. Of course your questions are valid and welcome.

I was only reacting to your opening line which gave the impression that you weren't going to do any research. Anyway sorry about that.

A PDF version of the manuel is available online. It's probably the best place to start.

riki
07-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Here's a link to the download page. http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/index.html

John Fornasar
07-15-2003, 10:48 PM

Click the Polygons button at the bottom left of your screen, click on one of the edges of your model, hit the ] key as stated above and move the object.

Grouping: Now say I want to put the pyramid and the sphere into one group so that I can move them around and edit them separately from the box. How do I do that?

You can select both of them by using the shift key and the above...

I might even want to give this a group a name so I can remember which part of my model it is.
Read up on "Parts", but wait a little bit here... get the basics down first.

As it is now everything I create is all lumped together. I see there is a thing for layers in the top right hand of the interface. Do I have to put each item I make on a different layer? If so then how do I combine layers together?

Layers are the key to intricate models... you can build sections of your model in each layer, then if you want, open all the layers, hit "x" to cut them, open up just one layer and hit "v" to paste them all in. However, layers are cool for animating parts of an object in Layout... it'll allow you to move, rotate, scale, etc. separately.

There is also a field with "unnamed" written on it, but I can't write anything there.

Double click on any of the layer names, and you can name that layer. You will always have at least one "unnamed" layer on the bottom. You can also use the naming dialogue box to parent your layers.

toby
07-16-2003, 12:07 AM
We frequently get people who are using cracked copies of LW, and we find it very rude that they come to the website of the company from whom they've stolen, asking for help. They've even had the gaul to ask for Dongles, cd's, or even 'better' cracks.

We had a guy last week who insulted anyone who brought up his cracked copy, bragged that he didn't have to pay as much as us, said he'd use it as long as he wanted, even figured out a way to defeat the forums' automatic censorship function so he could insult us with the foulest language he could think of. And thought we should help him anyway.

So please excuse us if we jump to conclusions -

A.Russell
07-16-2003, 06:46 AM
Okay, you thought I was using a crack. I jumped to conclusions too; I thought you were just trying to imply I was lazy and my questions were just a nuisance. Like cracks, the Discovery Edition doesn't come with a manual, so I can see where you got the idea. A lot of the tutorials for lightwave seem to be trying to show off the advanced abilities of the software, when all I want are bare basics (to start with). I think this is why I'm having trouble finding answers to my questions. I just want to get into some kind of flow with the software.

Thanks John Fornasar, you were very helpful. I'll get the hang of Lightwave yet!

Matt
07-16-2003, 07:01 AM
nothing wrong with evaluating and asking questions, it's a lot of money to spend on something that might not work how you expect.

John Fornasar
07-16-2003, 09:46 PM
tutorial links:

right here (Newtek stuff)

this is probably the largest compilation of all tuts... the place to check first:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

After you get the hang of it,

Flay.com

is LW's main "news page", and the main connection for plug-ins, both commercial and free-bies. (although I would recommend avoiding 3rd party plug-ins and scripts until you "get" most of LW and Modeler, and really need the additional help.

and to really get a clean overview of Modeler tools, check out the pages that riki put up for new LW users:

http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/

A.Russell
07-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for their help. I've got most of the basics I wanted to know sorted out now...but,

I hope it's not wrong to ask this, but I've spent nearly two hours looking for an answer -including looking through all of Riki's tutorial, the documentation on the Newtek site, and some of the tutorials on the Newtek site.

Jackson's answer to how to make a selection rotate from its centre works (using rotate HPB). However, using that tool I have to know the angle I want to rotate. Once clicking "apply" the window disappears and I have to open it again if I want to rotate more/less. With rotate HPB I can't just drag the mouse to make the selection rotate -even tried draging with the shift and control keys. I saw in a tutorial about modeling a cathedral that there is a shortcut to rotate 90 degrees, and in the picture it works perfectly. When I tried it, it did the usual thing and rotated around some far off point of origin making a complete mess.

So, my question is, is it possible to rotate from the centre of a selection without trying to hold the mouse cursor square in the middle of it, and to do it dynamically by draging the mouse?

gjjackson
07-17-2003, 09:29 AM
I've got another angle! :) Since the Angle is unknown try using the measure tool to determine what the angle is that you want. Then go to the Rotate HPB and enter that angle.

Sven Pampel
07-17-2003, 10:30 AM
i already answered your question read my first reply again ;)

EE

A.Russell
07-17-2003, 10:36 AM
lol, not quite what I was hoping for, but it'll do. Thanks for the quick reply.

btw Jackson, how long did it take you to get the hang of Lightwave?

A.Russell
07-17-2003, 10:42 AM
@Sven,

So you did! Sorry, I missed that. Yep, "action center -selection" did what I was hoping for.

This software has more options than a Korean barber's shop.

Sven Pampel
07-17-2003, 12:12 PM
yep it really has :) but once you get used to the workflow you will love it ;)

Sven

gjjackson
07-17-2003, 02:10 PM
lol, not quite what I was hoping for, but it'll do. Thanks for the quick reply.

btw Jackson, how long did it take you to get the hang of Lightwave?

I bought mine in Dec last year. I bought several books also, Inside LW(Ablan) LW Applied, LW Projects?, several others. When I first started I just sat down and read through the LW Manual and Inside LW for about a week.

I've got a long way to go though. My main goal is Industrial Animation. But I like to play around with other things. I couldn't think of any storyboards so I decided to get some comic books and use those as storyboards for the modeling/animation.

A.Russell
07-17-2003, 08:26 PM
@ Jackson,

Animation is something I want to get into too. Until now I've only done simple keyframe animation, and it has been very hard.

I like to use comics for inspiration too. I particularly like the old ones, British and American.

I've just ordered the full version of Lightwave, so I'll have lots of time to play around with it.