PDA

View Full Version : PDF import & instances

Jeff
07-15-2003, 11:01 AM
From an architectural rendering point of view, the following would be very beneficial...

001 - Instances
Oh PLEASE let these be in version 8!! You have no idea how many times repetitive windows or doors get changed in a view. The ability to change them in Modeller in one go would be such a time saver.

002 - PDF import
I can export CAD files out of AutoCAD as PDFs (even better, PDFs with the layers preserved if using Acrobat Pro). While this is useful if taking into Freehand or Illustrator, it would be great for importing elevations into Modeller! DXF kinda works - although I've noticed a few times that LW on the PC will load one while it throws up an error on the Mac :mad:

003 - BG Image interactive positioning & scaling
Sometimes there's no choice but scanning the elevations and using them as background images. The clunky way of doing it now is pretty awful (enter a value and wait for it to update) - and why aren't the dimension/positioning boxes marked X Y or Z? ;)

Sven Pampel
07-15-2003, 11:09 AM
001 is already possible

just use clone current item in layout

or if you need real instances ( only memory for 1 object taken while rendering ) buy hd instance

hope it helps

Sven

Jeff
07-16-2003, 02:10 AM
Thanks Sven but cloning isn't much good if you need to change all objects once they're created.

HD Instance would be fine if it ran on the Mac though ;)

Phil
07-16-2003, 04:57 AM
Ah. I think you're after instancing in modeler, from what I can understand. After all, if you were modelling each type of door and window as single objects in modeler, you'd see the new objects in layout when you reloaded the scene.

That does actually sound quite neat; in combination with instancing in Layout (ignoring HDInstance for the moment), it would be quite powerful. I'm not sure if a third party solution exists for modeler, but would have expected there to be something like this around, probably based on points in a separate layer. It may be worth checking flay.

pauland
07-16-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Jeff
From an architectural rendering point of view, the following would be very beneficial...

002 - PDF import
I can export CAD files out of AutoCAD as PDFs (even better, PDFs with the layers preserved if using Acrobat Pro). While this is useful if taking into Freehand or Illustrator, it would be great for importing elevations into Modeller! DXF kinda works - although I've noticed a few times that LW on the PC will load one while it throws up an error on the Mac :mad:

Couldn't you then export from illustrator directly into modeller?

Ok, not as smooth as you'd like, but doable!

Paul

Jeff
07-16-2003, 05:55 AM
Phil - yeah, I meant instancing in Modeller instead of Layout. I did check Flay without much success :(

Paul - I usually DXF but PDFs are cropping up more often when we receive files, just thought it'd be a nice option to have as a new feature :)